Marketplace => For Trade, Wanted => Topic started by: cschlish on February 10, 2007, 01:36:08 AM

Title: WTB 12 Fret guitar
Post by: cschlish on February 10, 2007, 01:36:08 AM
Throw any 12 freters out there under $800...
Title: Re: WTB 12 Fret slothead
Post by: bob_d on February 12, 2007, 01:20:33 PM
Hi Cschlish,

Are you looking for steel 12 fret slotheads or will nylon do? Any manufacturer or just Larrivee?

Thanks,
Bob
Title: Re: WTB 12 Fret slothead
Post by: acoustic6 on February 12, 2007, 05:06:09 PM
I have a no name parlor guitar from early 1900's which I bought from Roy McAlister of McAlister guitars about a year ago.  Here's a copy of how he listed the guitar.  Let me know if it sounds interesting and I can send pictures.  The tone really is amazing and its a beautiful little parlor in that vintage way.  I was blown away at the sound (very loud) and still am but now I'm looking for a nylon stringed guitar.  $900 shipped and insured.  New hardshell case I bought for it is included.  Here is what Roy wrote about it: 

This is an early no name parlor guitar from sometime around 1910 - 1920. I bought this guitar as a project several years ago because it is a higher quality guitar with Brazilian rosewood back, sides and headstock overlay, a very nice tight grained Adirondack spruce top, beautiful purfling/ rosette, and binding on the top, back and fretboard....as well as a solid ebony fretboard and bridge. It has many characteristics of a nicer than average Washburn, but it's difficult to be certain. It is ladder braced and has a dovetailed neck join. As a professional luthier (www.mcalisterguitars.com) I enjoy bringing these old gems back to life. I do my best to keep them as original as possible and avoid actual restoration....I like to think of it as 'resurrecting' an old guitar. Becuase of this, this old guitar displays much of the original patina, nicks and natural play wear you'd expect from an 80 year old guitar. However, I have done much to this guitar to enable it to play to contemporary standards, intonate properly and accept modern steel strings.
Specs:
The scale length is 24 5/8" (16" fretboard crown) with a 1 13/16" nut and 2 5/16" spacing at the bridge. The body has a 13 1/2" lower bout, 10" upper bout, 19" body length, 4" depth at the tail. 3 3/8" depth at the neck....making this guitar very simliar in size to an early Martin 0 size.
Work done:
-Neck reset
-Fretboard mill to flat
-Complete new fret job
-New bone nut and saddle (photos taken with ebony saddle)
-New custom ebony pyramid bridge witrh compensated saddle
-Maple bridge plate (to accept steel strings)
-Repaired small cracks on top
Other than the work described above, I also did some finish work (nitrocellulose lacquer) to the back, sides and neck....but I did nothing to the original top. There were no cracks in the back and sides, just a couple tight cracks in the top that I repaired, as described above. This guitar now plays wonderfully and has fantastic vintage tone. The guitar is very loud and responsive and is an exceptional fingerstyle instrument. the tone is very articulate and open throated....exhibiting the finer quality tone desired of the finest early parlor guitars. The neck has a great subtle "V" shape and is not a huge club, as many early parlor guitars are. The guitar has been intonated and set up very well....this guitar needs nothing but someone to play it.
This
Title: Re: WTB 12 Fret slothead
Post by: CF Larrivee on February 13, 2007, 03:21:11 PM
Would you be interested in an Alvarez Yairi FYM95V? This is a a 12 fret slothead on an OM body. ALL solid wood guitar. Sitka top with three piece EIR back and sides. Ebony fingerboard. PM if you want to know more. Thanks.
Title: Re: WTB 12 Fret guitar
Post by: cschlish on February 13, 2007, 11:08:42 PM
Hey guys, I have to alter mt post since I have made a purchase on Monday. Throw any 12 freters under $800 out there...
Title: Re: WTB 12 Fret guitar
Post by: skiproberts on March 01, 2007, 08:39:17 AM
If you're still interested, there's a nice Ayers 12 fret on this and other forums... Nice looking guitars!