Main Forums => Other Guitar Makers => Topic started by: dberch on September 12, 2006, 04:46:00 PM

Title: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: dberch on September 12, 2006, 04:46:00 PM
I've heard stories about Gibson shipping guitars with crappy setups.  "Can't happen to me!" Says I.  Wrong!  My new J-100 Xt has serious fret buzz on the first three frets.  Took it to my favorite guitar tech and he suggests I take it back to the dealer.  First three frest are way low he says, and he'd have to replace them or take the same amount off all the rest to make it right.  Not right for a new guitar and he doesn't think i should have to pay for this work.  I agree. 

So, oing back to the dealer to see what they have to say about it.  The sad thing is, I don't trust the tech this dealer uses.  Been hearing way to many stories from folks who have been very unhappy with his work.  So I'm going to push for sending it back to the factory.   

I'll let you know what happens...

Good news is - I played it at a gig last week.  Other than the buzz, it sounds FANTASTIC!  Very happy with the tone, whether plugged in or not.

David
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: roknroll on September 12, 2006, 05:35:56 PM
Quote from: dberch on September 12, 2006, 04:46:00 PM
I've heard stories about Gibson shipping guitars with crappy setups.  "Can't happen to me!" Says I.  Wrong!  My new J-100 Xt has serious fret buzz on the first three frets.  Took it to my favorite guitar tech and he suggests I take it back to the dealer.  First three frest are way low he says, and he'd have to replace them or take the same amount off all the rest to make it right.  Not right for a new guitar and he doesn't think i should have to pay for this work.  I agree. 

So, oing back to the dealer to see what they have to say about it.  The sad thing is, I don't trust the tech this dealer uses.  Been hearing way to many stories from folks who have been very unhappy with his work.  So I'm going to push for sending it back to the factory.   

I'll let you know what happens...

Good news is - I played it at a gig last week.  Other than the buzz, it sounds FANTASTIC!  Very happy with the tone, whether plugged in or not.

David

Take it back and get a breedlove :WNK>
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: Crunchy Wacko on September 12, 2006, 07:23:32 PM
Hey David

Just wondering out of curiosity....Gibson does not list a J-100 XT on their website.  Was it a model disco'd recently? If so..how long was it sitting around?

I only ask cause I wanted to see it.
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: Ratishna on September 12, 2006, 07:46:29 PM
I was at GC the other day and they had 3 of these guitars.  For those who don't know, its a jumbo like a J-200 but with mahogany b/s and no fancy trim.  Anyway, two sounded good enough but one was absolutely killer.  In the top ten of all the guitars I've ever played.
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: dberch on September 12, 2006, 08:47:01 PM
Quote from: Ratishna on September 12, 2006, 07:46:29 PM
I was at GC the other day and they had 3 of these guitars.  For those who don't know, its a jumbo like a J-200 but with mahogany b/s and no fancy trim.  Anyway, two sounded good enough but one was absolutely killer.  In the top ten of all the guitars I've ever played.
Acutally there have been several variations of the j-100 XT/xtra, mahogany, bubinga, maple, and maybe even something else. Mine is flame maple.  I've also seen several variations of neck and body adorment.  Mine has the 'mountain' pearl neck inlay, marbleized tuning keys, plain moustache bridge, and plaine white binding.  Looks fantastic with the Greven bold jumbo pickguard I put on.

Update coming tomorrow re: fret buzz.
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: Calvin on September 12, 2006, 09:17:21 PM
The new Gibby jumbo may not always have the greatest setup, but they ALWAYS sound great.

I know they sound a bit steril compared to Martin or Larrivee, but they have projection and really allow you to go very hard.
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: roknroll on September 12, 2006, 09:39:29 PM
i owned a J-100xt for a while.  Woodiest sounding guitar i've ever played, I know that much.  Set up properly they really do play awesome.  I've only tried the maple models. 
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: dberch on September 12, 2006, 09:42:46 PM
Quote from: Calvin on September 12, 2006, 09:17:21 PM
The new Gibby jumbo may not always have the greatest setup, but they ALWAYS sound great.

I know they sound a bit steril compared to Martin or Larrivee, but they have projection and really allow you to go very hard.
Steril?? Why, them's fightin' words!  :angry:  Or, they would be if I had the energy.  :yawn .  I'll take that as a statement of your opinion.  Mine would vary slightly.  :GRN>  Tell you what, Calvin,  make the drive to my place to listen to THIS guitar, and then see if you still feel the same.  I'll even buy you a beer.   :beer

David
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: HangFire on September 13, 2006, 12:33:59 AM
Sorry to hear about your hassles bro. :UND>

Wonder if they ever did one in BW... :doh
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: Calvin on September 13, 2006, 02:29:49 AM
Quote from: dberch on September 12, 2006, 09:42:46 PM
Steril?? Why, them's fightin' words!  :angry:  Or, they would be if I had the energy.  :yawn .  I'll take that as a statement of your opinion.  Mine would vary slightly.  :GRN>  Tell you what, Calvin,  make the drive to my place to listen to THIS guitar, and then see if you still feel the same.  I'll even buy you a beer.   :beer

David
]

LoL sorry Dave I didn't mean it in a bad way.  They are very punch, not as rich as the Larrivee and Martins is all I meant.  What they do have is that unmistakable Western Cowboy sound you can only get in a Gibby (and a maple one make this especially nice).  Heck if a new J200 didn't cost 3700 cdn, I would have owned one by now.

Err.. I'll still take the beer from ya though :beer :arrow
Title: UPdate!: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: dberch on September 26, 2006, 10:15:14 PM
Looks like they're going to send it back to Gibson for a proper setup.  I guess I'll see it in about a month.   :<>  Oh well, that's really the best solution, I think.
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer
Post by: Big Martin on September 27, 2006, 09:38:11 AM
I have a 95 mahogany XT100.  Wonderful playing and sounding guitar.  Mine is as solid a guitar as I have ever seen...  The Montana Gibsons that I have ever played are very nice

Good luck with yours
Title: Re: Taking new J-100 back to the dealer- It's Back!
Post by: dberch on December 09, 2006, 04:21:50 PM
IT's BACK, finally!  But not much better.   :UND>  Action is still too high at the first fret and major buzz on the low E first fret (F note).  Well, I'm not sending it back, I can get a buddy to do a fret leveling job for under $100 - I'm going to go for it.

Sure does sound good when it's not buzzing, though.   :bgrin: :+1:

So much for trusting the "experts" at Gibson...

David