Securing End-Pin

Started by maLavvo, October 04, 2011, 08:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Guys

Not sure if this is a technical question  :blush:  But I need help in properly securing an end-pin on one of my guitars.  I have one of those wooden tapered one.  It keeps on pulling-off with the strap.  But I know it doesn't need a glue to keep it secured.  I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you.

-maLavvo
"Larrivee, I'm lovin' it!"

DON'T GLUE IT IN THERE.

My first thought would be a mismatch in size between the peg and the hole.  You didn't say how old the guitar is.  The hole might have become slightly larger with wear over time.  Is the peg original to the guitar?  Does the peg go all the way in with little effort?  Are you able to rotate it around when it is pushed all the way in, etc.  It should be very hard to rotate when it is pushed in all the way.  You might have to find a new peg that fits better.  Or you could simply wrap something around the peg to make it fit tighter. 
Music stores often have end pins.   

StewMac has a selection of end pins. Compare the diameter and the taper of your peg to some of these for example.
http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping;jsessionid=E4CBB59A6122FEA0CF7A378765A03CAA?actn=search&keyword=End+Pins&x=23&y=16
Once you click on the individual end pins, you can click on the "specs" tab to get detailed diagrams of each.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thanks so much for the tip.

Yes, it is a very old (1984) Takamine.  Not sure if it is the original that came with the guitar, I am not the original owner of it.  But I have tried several ones (that I already have).  All of them are rotating even when pushed all the way (not very easy, but it does rotate)

I'll give it a try your suggestion to put something on the peg to tighten it or i'll get a new ones.

Thank you again.

-maLavvo

You can put a dab of nail polish on it,let it dry for a 1/2 hour that will secure it.You can also wrap in thin double sided tape.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks UnclRob, I will try the nail-polish thing first.

Update:  I can't find a nail polish at home.  I used a very thin double-sided tape (i used for pictures).  It seem to work, tight enough not to come-off.

Thanks again for the tip guys.

:wave

-maLavvo