stretching for body health

Started by StringPicker6, October 23, 2023, 01:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As a 47 year old, I don't consider myself too old.  However, things eventually begin to ache and tweak.  Lately, I've been getting the dreaded shoulder ache after playing, along with forearm aches.  Two days ago I found a youtube video on how to stretch before and after playing, and it has helped A LOT!  Here is the link, and I hope it helps anyone feeling similar body aches from playing guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H0u9AlMmKs
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 23, 2023, 01:28:41 PMAs a 47 year old, I don't consider myself too old.  However, things eventually begin to ache and tweak.  Lately, I've been getting the dreaded shoulder ache after playing, along with forearm aches.  Two days ago I found a youtube video on how to stretch before and after playing, and it has helped A LOT!  Here is the link, and I hope it helps anyone feeling similar body aches from playing guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H0u9AlMmKs

Stretching is good. What's the first thing a dog does upon rising?  :laughin:

I'd rather not say because it involves licking...
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 23, 2023, 02:21:25 PMI'd rather not say because it involves licking...

That's the second thing.  :roll

I'm the same age as you (I think, I stopped counting a few years back) and stretching is a must for me to keep an active lifestyle. I have a narrowing disc and bone spur in my neck and other parts of the body get strained as they compensate to protect the neck. 4 years ago I was basically immobile and couldn't do much of anything. Physical therapy saved my life and I don't use pills. As long as I stretch in the morning and use weights in the evening I'm still able to live the life I want to live. I'm playing guitar again. I spend an hour every day landscaping and doing other physically taxing DIY stuff that I thought I couldn't do anymore. I'm even building a 5,000 gallon pond with 15 tons of boulders (many of them over 2ft in diameter) on my own, with hand tools.

If anyone finds stretching or exercise boring, I encourage you to check out DDP Yoga. My wife actually started on this years back and I kinda rolled my eyes. Then, after my neck locked up, these DVDs were a huge help as they let you exercise at your own intensity level and they truly work.

Though my neck situation is bad, I'm the healthiest I've been in my life because of the stretching and exercise so it's been a hidden blessing.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 23, 2023, 10:16:36 PMI'm the same age as you (I think, I stopped counting a few years back) and stretching is a must for me to keep an active lifestyle. I have a narrowing disc and bone spur in my neck and other parts of the body get strained as they compensate to protect the neck. 4 years ago I was basically immobile and couldn't do much of anything. Physical therapy saved my life and I don't use pills. As long as I stretch in the morning and use weights in the evening I'm still able to live the life I want to live. I'm playing guitar again. I spend an hour every day landscaping and doing other physically taxing DIY stuff that I thought I couldn't do anymore. I'm even building a 5,000 gallon pond with 15 tons of boulders (many of them over 2ft in diameter) on my own, with hand tools.

If anyone finds stretching or exercise boring, I encourage you to check out DDP Yoga. My wife actually started on this years back and I kinda rolled my eyes. Then, after my neck locked up, these DVDs were a huge help as they let you exercise at your own intensity level and they truly work.

Though my neck situation is bad, I'm the healthiest I've been in my life because of the stretching and exercise so it's been a hidden blessing.

I'm quite often a contrarian but ...

:thumb

I'm also a great believer in walking. My best friend is my dog.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 24, 2023, 05:56:09 AMOutside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Ha ha! Of course, if you walk without a dog, you're a prowler.  :laughin:

I use a set of range of motion exercises my Dr. recommended. In addition, I do a series of hand exercises to increase my flexibility and inhibit things like trigger finger from developing. 3 months ago, I developed tennis elbow and was able to get rid of it using some exercises I learned from videos.

Quote from: William2 on October 24, 2023, 03:42:11 PMI use a set of range of motion exercises my Dr. recommended. In addition, I do a series of hand exercises to increase my flexibility and inhibit things like trigger finger from developing. 3 months ago, I developed tennis elbow and was able to get rid of it using some exercises I learned from videos.

I've had bouts of tennis elbow a couple of times. It never just developed, however. I always injured it somehow. Now it's a chronic problem that pops up occasionally. Having severe osteoarthritis in the metacarpal joints of both thumbs prevents me from being a great guitar player. It also hurts. To play a two hour show, I load up on ibuprofin and slather on Voltarin. Unfortunately, there's no exercise that will help but it so far hasn't stopped me. I sit down in my lonely room and play ten minutes every hour.  :guitar     

Threads like this are a good thing, a reminder to those unafflicted.
I am same age as Duck. Sooner or later we all have problems, and will hit our limits.
Years back I said I wanted to be stronger than the guitar, so I still do handgrips, 12 pound barbells for arms and wrists, and stretching of fingers and wrists. I have good guitar setups, don't have a death grip, don't hug on the guitar with my right arm. I don't have pain. I did have trigger finger surgery on two fingers of the right hand 5 or so years ago.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on October 26, 2023, 10:52:58 AMThreads like this are a good thing, a reminder to those unafflicted.
I am same age as Duck. Sooner or later we all have problems, and will hit our limits.
Years back I said I wanted to be stronger than the guitar, so I still do handgrips, 12 pound barbells for arms and wrists, and stretching of fingers and wrists. I have good guitar setups, don't have a death grip, don't hug on the guitar with my right arm. I don't have pain. I did have trigger finger surgery on two fingers of the right hand 5 or so years ago.
Mike

As my wife says, "Don't get old!" We are both struggling with that affliction for which there is no known cure. Well, maybe one but we're in no hurry. Other than my thumbs which suffer from almost 40 years of repetitive motion injuries (for which they still pay me a pension), I seem to be disgustingly healthy.  :laughin:  :beer

I like the way Clint Eastwood said it; "Don't let the old man in." At 66 years, with arthritis in my hands, shoulder, neck and lower back, and after three bouts with ruptured/herniated discs, exercising and stretching are what keep me doing the things I want, and need, to do. Keeps the old man out.     
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Riverbend on October 26, 2023, 02:35:14 PMI like the way Clint Eastwood said it; "Don't let the old man in." At 66 years, with arthritis in my hands, shoulder, neck and lower back, and after three bouts with ruptured/herniated discs, exercising and stretching are what keep me doing the things I want, and need, to do. Keeps the old man out.     

:thumbsup

Never too late to be a drug mule?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc5AWImplfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfQDqY6mC4

Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Riverbend on October 27, 2023, 03:44:26 AMToby did him right with that tribute, eh?  :cheers

Very touching song. Of course, Keith has been battling cancer for a while. He may not live long enough to worry about keeping the old man out.