Madsen Guitars

Started by ducktrapper, August 12, 2023, 10:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I took a guitar to Andrew Madsen for some work today and saw some interesting guitars. Neenah Wisconsin. He does nice work. Some very pretty guitars. Anyone familiar with him?

www.madsenguitars.com

They look beautiful!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Nice-looking guitars.  I'd never heard of this builder before.  I'm very interested in classical guitars of late and his look really good, though I have to admit, putting the maker's name on the headstock of a classical guitar isn't something I'd prefer.  Other than that, his look pretty impressive. 

Here's a review of a Madsen from YT that I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOjMZDBu6O4

Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 13, 2023, 06:35:43 AMNice-looking guitars.  I'd never heard of this builder before.  I'm very interested in classical guitars of late and his look really good, though I have to admit, putting the maker's name on the headstock of a classical guitar isn't something I'd prefer.  Other than that, his look pretty impressive. 

Here's a review of a Madsen from YT that I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOjMZDBu6O4

You could probably ask or pay him not to or keep your capo over it.  LOL
Thanks for sharing the video.  I played a D-18 like guitar he made and it was quite impressive and really pretty.  By the way, Andrew now looks like a real luthier. Added the prerequisite pony tail!
I'm going to work on that version of Deep River Blues. My version is simpler.

His site doesn't list any prices for his instruments. That Ditson dreadnought looks interesting.

Quote from: William2 on August 13, 2023, 11:28:27 AMHis site doesn't list any prices for his instruments. That Ditson dreadnought looks interesting.
I noticed that too.  I figured if you have to ask, you can't afford one (me!). 
  :laughin:

Quote from: William2 on August 13, 2023, 11:28:27 AMHis site doesn't list any prices for his instruments. That Ditson dreadnought looks interesting.

They're pricey but all boutique guitars are pricey. The D-18 model I played, he had just finished and was shipping out, was $3500 but it had some very fancy woods and inlay. He builds to order and, I would guess that, the price changes with choice of models, woods, inlays and appointments. See list below of what's available. You'd have to talk to him. Seemed like a good guy. 
As we were chatting, he wondered how Larrivee does it. The quality at the price they sell for, that is. He said Larrivees were as good as any guitar on the market at a better price. I assume he meant factory built guitars. That's a pretty good endorsement. By the way, I have no association with him and am only a client who he impressed.

https://madsenguitars.com/acoustic-custom-options/

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 13, 2023, 11:57:39 AMThey're pricey but all boutique guitars are pricey. The D-18 model I played, he had just finished and was shipping out, was $3500 but it had some very fancy woods and inlay. He builds to order and, I would guess that, the price changes with choice of models, woods, inlays and appointments. See list below of what's available. You'd have to talk to him. Seemed like a good guy. 
As we were chatting, he wondered how Larrivee does it. The quality at the price they sell for, that is. He said Larrivees were as good as any guitar on the market at a better price. I assume he meant factory built guitars. That's a pretty good endorsement. By the way, I have no association with him and am only a client who he impressed.

https://madsenguitars.com/acoustic-custom-options/

$3500 isn't that much for a handmade instrument. But the guy in the video had to wait two years for his instrument and I'm too old to wait that long. I was impressed with the available options he offers. I do live in Wisconsin, and I might check him out if one of my instruments needs an adjustment.

Quote from: William2 on August 13, 2023, 02:01:35 PM$3500 isn't that much for a handmade instrument. But the guy in the video had to wait two years for his instrument and I'm too old to wait that long. I was impressed with the available options he offers. I do live in Wisconsin, and I might check him out if one of my instruments needs an adjustment.

Not compared to Petros or Olsen and builders in that league although I can't for the life of me see how anyone justifies 10K or more for a new guitar. I'd buy a Larrivee any day ... and have. Try getting on Jim Olsen's waiting list! Anyway, I'm told Andrew is the best in the area when it comes to repair or setup. Which is why I went to him. He tells me he spends a lot of time undoing bad repairs.  :beer