Stringing

Started by ducktrapper, October 04, 2023, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I'm curious. I just put new strings on my RS-4. In the past, I've put the string through from the back end straight to the tuner. This time, I tried the method of putting the string through from in front of the tail piece and then around. I believe it's called top wrapping. I almost never break strings so I'm not worried about that. Any opinions on the best way and why?

https://stringjoy.com/top-wrapping-guitar-strings/

I seem to remember a story that said Duane Allman strung his guitars like that .But I.m old aand my memory isn't .......... :doh

keep smilin and keep dancin    :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 04, 2023, 08:33:31 PMI seem to remember a story that said Duane Allman strung his guitars like that .But I.m old aand my memory isn't .......... :doh

keep smilin and keep dancin    :nanadance

Yeah me too. I'll let everyone know if I hear a major difference. Somehow, I doubt I will.  :laughin:

I don't like it, personally. It softens up the break angle and that does affect the tone. You might like the sound, so it's worth trying. For me, it lacks the kind of overtones and focus I like. With that type of tailpiece, my preference has always been traditional stringing with the tail all the way, or most of the way, down. 
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 05, 2023, 01:59:37 AMI don't like it, personally. It softens up the break angle and that does affect the tone. You might like the sound, so it's worth trying. For me, it lacks the kind of overtones and focus I like. With that type of tailpiece, my preference has always been traditional stringing with the tail all the way, or most of the way, down. 

Well, I thought I'd try it. So far, I haven't really noticed a big difference, if any. I do love this guitar with new strings though! I tried a set of DR Tite-Fit 10-46. Nice.

Did a show on Sunday with my RS-4. I can't say I noticed a big difference in tone or feel. The next set will go on the old way.  :guitar

You know that the pu covers were removed because they said the covers were blocking the tone.

keep smilin and keep dancin   :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 16, 2023, 09:56:01 PMYou know that the pu covers were removed because they said the covers were blocking the tone.

keep smilin and keep dancin   :nanadance

:laughin: