How to cover hole after removed preamp

Started by frankhond, December 26, 2009, 03:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tadol on January 03, 2010, 10:28:01 AM
I think I would get a piece of brass or copper just thick enough to hold a curve, and cut it to just larger than the pre-amp. File the edges smooth, round the corners, and gently bend it by hand around a large pipe or dowel until it matches the contour of the guitar. Make sure the screw holes line up with the existing ones from the preamp, and make sure the underside is smooth so you don't scratch any of the finish. You can plate, coat, paint, or veneer over the metal if you want - Or maybe a little custom engraving?

Keep all the parts you removed in good shape, and you can reinstall if your situation or interests change -  It would make an interesting custom guitar if done well!

Tad

Yeas, this is what I will do in the end, but I will start with laser-cut airplane plywood. We see how it works... In fact, there were some silly suggestions at the start of this thread about puppets and stuff, but if you have this thing in your guitar, what functionality would be interesting to implement? Perhaps a tuner that can be set into the cover....

Quote from: frankhond on January 03, 2010, 11:04:35 AM
Perhaps a tuner that can be set into the cover....

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gibby latch on to that gimmick - you ought to patent it!!!  :roll
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Start with laser cut plywood? Would love to see your shop - Lasers aren't even close to my wish list of power tools. CNC maybe, but at this point I am still hoping to get a laser guide for my chop-saws -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: frankhond on January 03, 2010, 11:04:35 AM
Yeas, this is what I will do in the end, but I will start with laser-cut airplane plywood. We see how it works... In fact, there were some silly suggestions at the start of this thread about puppets and stuff, but if you have this thing in your guitar, what functionality would be interesting to implement? Perhaps a tuner that can be set into the cover....

Or a mp3 player to strum along with? 

There's always a creative solution to any problem.  :thumb
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: tadol on January 03, 2010, 02:33:39 PM
Start with laser cut plywood? Would love to see your shop - Lasers aren't even close to my wish list of power tools. CNC maybe, but at this point I am still hoping to get a laser guide for my chop-saws -

Tad

I'm lucky - my wife is studying architecture and they have a laser...  :thumb

Another option is to CAD something up and send it to Shapeways, but the wife option is cheaper.  :smile:

Quote from: frankhond on January 04, 2010, 01:40:23 PM
but the wife option is cheaper.  :smile:

Hmmmmm not always!!!!!!!!!!  :humour:   :roll
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: frankhond on January 04, 2010, 01:40:23 PM

Another option is to CAD something up and send it to Shapeways, but the wife option is cheaper.  :smile:

The cheap can come out expensive.  :bgrin:
Steve ....aka the SMan

Quote from: dependan on December 26, 2009, 06:41:37 PM
    If you really like this guitar an option may be to see how it sounds with the hole there acting as a sound port. If you like it then you could have the hole cleaned up and made to look more like a sound port. Just another thought.

My L03-E electronics pooped out on me many years ago.  I pulled the Fishman pre-amp and left the hole as is - sounds really nice while playing.  A very cheap way to 'finish' off the raw wood edge is simply to buy a short section of automotive vaccuum hose, split it along it's length, and slide it onto the raw wood edge.  Cut to length.  Done.  Someone suggested that here years ago.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 29, 2009, 06:13:32 PM
The preamp in the side may not be attractive but the alternative will be less so.

Hey Roger - how'd you get that photo of my git?!?

Actually, I remember posting this a few times.  Not pretty is it?  Once I took out the pre-amp, it convinced me that I probably could do a better job than this.  Yes, folks, this was a Larrivee factory install.  That's how bad of a job they did.  I never got any resolution from this from Larrivee.

I put in a K+K mini pure western on my own after this.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 07, 2010, 08:16:13 AM
My L03-E electronics pooped out on me many years ago.  I pulled the Fishman pre-amp and left the hole as is - sounds really nice while playing.  A very cheap way to 'finish' off the raw wood edge is simply to buy a short section of automotive vaccuum hose, split it along it's length, and slide it onto the raw wood edge.  Cut to length.  Done.  Someone suggested that here years ago.

-Scott

Not bad! There is a shop nearby that carries all kinds of stuff like this. Yet another option... I'm gonna order some new saddles first so I can do a proper bone vs tusq test while I'm at it.

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 07, 2010, 08:22:00 AM
Hey Roger - how'd you get that photo of my git?!?

Actually, I remember posting this a few times.  Not pretty is it?  Once I took out the pre-amp, it convinced me that I probably could do a better job than this.  Yes, folks, this was a Larrivee factory install.  That's how bad of a job they did.  I never got any resolution from this from Larrivee.

I put in a K+K mini pure western on my own after this.
Scott, that photo made such an impact on me the first time I saw it I had to save it. If I ever have a thought of buying a guitar with a barn door pickup I just look at the photo, end of GAS.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Hello group,  I'm new to the board but have a great deal of respect for all of you!  There is a a great knowledge-base of info on this site.  I've been looking for a Larrivee for some time and I guess patience paid off as I was able to find a nice L-03ce in near perfect shape for a great price.  I really enjoy the play-ability and even tones but as I'm somewhat hard of hearing, have been contemplating a sound port.  I don't gig nor really enjoy plugging in so this seemed like a good candidate to modify without any destructive steps.  At this point I've removed the old preamp box and left the under-saddle alone and taped up the output plug together inside the body.  The sound has definitely changed but as you'd expect, she is perhaps slightly hollow sounding.  I'd like to install a shaped wood cover with a more reasonable sound port hole in place of the rectangular cutout.  I'm thinking to use magnets on either side of the body to attach it keeping everything removable/reversible should I decide later to part ways.   

There may be a more recent thread on this project and if so my apologizes.  But I'm wondering if Frankhond was successful with creating a cover plate and how it went?  It seemed like you were going to laser cut a cover but perhaps decided on something else?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you and happy holidays -

The magnet idea has some merit. Mine is still just an open wound on the side of the guitar. Here's what I have recently considered: 3D printing g a custom plug.  Our local library has 3D printing capability as well as access to all of the major CAD packages. I thought I would make it a snap fit solution, but I really like your magnet idea. It would be quite easy to implement in a 3D printed plug that has a recess on the back side for a metal bar for spanning the inside of the hole and a pocket for a neodymium small magnet on the outside of the plug. I would make a lip in the outside of the plug that would be larger than the hole opening. A very small neodymium magnet glued to the inside of the guitar could hold that plug in place with another embedded in a pocket in the plug or even a small piece of iron set into a pocket in the plug. 
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

ThInking through the whole magnet closure idea sparked a couple of other ideas for me.  I will be posting back here soon.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Cool - Thanks for the response.  My idea of a cover is very similar to yours.  I've done several projects with rare earth magnets and those small little guys work great holding things in place.  I was rolling around several ideas of how to make the shape including, first marking the shape of the curve onto a scrap of 1/4 inch material, scroll sawing the curve then attaching sand paper to the opposite side of the guitar and sanding down the template in an up/down motion to dial in the final shape.  Then, attaching that 1/4" template to the material I want to use and, using a pattern router bit rout out the profile.  I'll probably have to do this last step on two or three pieces then glue them together.  Or something like that.  But I'm not too motivated as my garage/shop is a chilly 40 degrees and I guess I'm a wuss.   For now I'm living with the hole and actually enjoying the sounds.  I need some fret work on her then will replace the nut which is pretty low on the e string.  Surprisingly it doesn't buzz.  Anyway, after getting the cover made, I hope to drill out an elliptical shaped hole similar to what Todd has been making.  I'm hesitant to drill/port the lower bout as that really would be a permanent change so for now just planning on the cover with the port.  Let me know what ideas you have.  For materials I'm thinking to use walnut and stain it dark to pickup the ebony.  

cheers -      

On the opposite end of things, I stopped by the local Hobby Lobby and picked up a small sheet of flexible magnet material. cut two pieces just slightly larger than the hole, and put one on the inside, held it in place from inside the sound hole, then put the other piece on the outside.  It's hard for me to judge if there's an acoustic difference, but I can try to make some recordings with and without the cover to see if there's a back-to-back difference.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Interesting thread and dilemma.  I doubt I could ever find myself in this situation because once I see a "barn door" on any guitar, I never even pick it up to try it out.  Those things have always been the ultimate deal-breaker for me. Only exception was the Ovation I once owned, and it was purchased specifically to use on a stage.  Worst than all for me is the built-in tuner option on so many of these guitars.  It's more like a computer than a guitar at that point. 

Quote from: Caleb on January 06, 2017, 10:43:58 AM
Interesting thread and dilemma.  I doubt I could ever find myself in this situation because once I see a "barn door" on any guitar, I never even pick it up to try it out.  Those things have always been the ultimate deal-breaker for me. Only exception was the Ovation I once owned, and it was purchased specifically to use on a stage.  Worst than all for me is the built-in tuner option on so many of these guitars.  It's more like a computer than a guitar at that point. 

I naively ordered mine that was from the factory. Yes, the improperly cut hole you see earlier in the thread was a Larrivee factory installed fishman system.  I just found out that our local library has an Epilog Helix laser that can cut all types of material in their maker space, thickness up to 1/4 inch. I think I can make a nice wood cover either to directly insert into the hole or over the hole.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: Caleb on January 06, 2017, 10:43:58 AM

Thanks for you thoughts on this.  I have a few acoustics (10 at last count according to my wife but I move em around and there are actually a couple more he he he...) anyway, all of them came with some sort of PU.   About half (the older ones) have side mounted (barn door) pre-amps but they don't really bother me other than just being there.  My immediate goal is to experiment with a port hole and I thought the Larrivee would be a good candidate.  But when I removed the fishman pre-amp shoe box, I could help but notice how big the unit is and think it must be creating some sort sound wave distortion.  I'm certainly the further thing from a sound engineer but my gut says the guitar should sound acoustically fuller without a block of plastic inside.  We'll see how this modification goes.  I may elect to remove other side amps should the urge present itself.  I'm hoping to find some time in a couple weeks to kick this off.  I'll post some pics if I can figure it out showing the progress.   

All the best -