New Guy with New OM-40QM

Started by ChicagoDevin, April 10, 2015, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:donut :donut2 :donut :coffee :donut2http://www.break.com/article/weirdest-donut-tattoo-collection-you-will-ever-see-2657247

Hello.   Today I purchased my first Larrivee, and I decided I should say hello!
(My apologies if I am posting this in an inappropriate location).

So, about the guitar...   I picked up a new OM-40 with a quilted mahogany back.  It is a stunner, and I immediately fell in love with it.  I also played a OM03RW, a cool martin 000,  and some sort of nice Eastwood OM.  Both sounded very nice, but I knew the OM40 was coming home with me after a few minutes of picking it off the wall.  The low end response is very nice, and to me the guitar has a great full sound.  It also resonates like crazy.  I feel like the OM40 is the best sounding and best looking guitar Ive tried in the price range.

I am very new to the high-end acoustic game, as the nicest acoustic I have ever owned was a 100$ composite yamaha.  But I have a few nice electrics, a few nice amps, and more than a few boutique effect pedals.  I could list my gear cache if anyone cares.

I picked up the guitar from Dave's Woodstock guitars in Woodstock, Illinois.  I live in Chicago, so it was about an hour and a half drive each way.  I was a little apprehensive about the commute, but I had an absolutely awesome time.   Dave is a very cool guy, and it was nice hanging out and talking with him.  Hes got a cool shop with cool gear, and a lot of it from brands that are hard to find in the city.  I feel like I got a good price, and I plan on hitting him up again in the future.   Has anyone here ever been to his shop or bought from him?  Just curious.

In other news, Woodstock, Il is where the film "Groundhogs day" was filmed.  I know, I know.  Incredible stuff.

OM-40MQ
G&L ASAT Classic (USA)
Fender Jazzmaster Special (USA)
Gibson SG Special (USA)
Orange Rocker 30 and Roland JazzChorus 120

:welcome: to the Forum Family and what you've got...  :thumb

I bet the quilted Mahogany is a stunner (my 00 has the same wood and I love the sound of it, too). You don't have to own a Larrivee to be a member here but we're glad you know what all the hoopla is about now.

Again, back attaché:  :donut :donut :donut2 :donut :donut :coffee :coffee

...and after 21 posts you can have some of this:  :beer

Again,  :welcome:
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Look forward to more Posts from you and some pics  :gotpics:

Oh,   :welcome:

Hi Devin, glad you decided to visit and tell about the new guitar.

Larrivee,,,,betcha can't stop at one.  :nana_guitar
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Hi Devin,
Great introduction and welcome to the forum from a Canadian member.   :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut

You will find great people here.  Lots of good discussion and maybe even a few tips.  I hope you hang around.

Congratulations on your new guitar.  I have a standard OM-03 and I love how it plays and sounds.

Kurt in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Congrats.  Look forward to pics.  Welcome to the Larrivee family.

:donut :donut2

Thanks for the warm welcome.   I'll be posting some pictures as soon a I am allowed to.  In the meantime, I'll be working on my finger picking chops.      Anyone care to list a few of their favorite folk players?
OM-40MQ
G&L ASAT Classic (USA)
Gibson SG Special (USA)

Hey Devin: Welcome and congratulations on an excellent guitar.  Looking forward to seeing the pics.  Are you looking for folk singers or finger pickers?  One of my favorite recordings is "Brian Martin:  No Rider".  It is available through CD Baby. His fingerstyle playing is wonderful and his songs are great.  Everyone I give this CD to has the same response.  It is addicting.  He plays a Larrivee OM-05 as well.  Toby Walker is excellent as well.  Finger picking and blues singing.   I've lots of suggestions for finger pickers if that is what you mean.

Enjoy!
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Devin, welcome to the Larrivee forum/family! It's alway eazy to say nice guitar when it's a Larrivee.  You cant go wrong.  :gotpics:
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

I have purchased a couple of Larrivees from Dave. You're right, he is a cool guy and a straight shooter. My purchases were online.
Rb

Quote from: Tuba Mike on April 12, 2015, 06:35:01 AM
Hey Devin: Welcome and congratulations on an excellent guitar.  Looking forward to seeing the pics.  Are you looking for folk singers or finger pickers?  One of my favorite recordings is "Brian Martin:  No Rider".  It is available through CD Baby. His fingerstyle playing is wonderful and his songs are great.  Everyone I give this CD to has the same response.  It is addicting.  He plays a Larrivee OM-05 as well.  Toby Walker is excellent as well.  Finger picking and blues singing.   I've lots of suggestions for finger pickers if that is what you mean.

Enjoy!

The Brian Martin recommendation was spot on!  Thank you.  I guess I said folk player instead of finger picker because I was looking for more of a talented songwriter than a virtuoso player.  The first song on the record, "tale of a boy" immediately jumped out at me as more of an honest, emotional achievement than a technical piece, and to me that is perfect.  So thank you. 

OM-40MQ
G&L ASAT Classic (USA)
Gibson SG Special (USA)

:welcome: and thanks for the :donut :donut2!
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the quilted back and sides. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new purchase!
Larrivée L-03/Anthem SL (2013)
Gibson LP Studio VS (2013)
Marshall JTM-1C: 50th Anniversary Edition
Koch Jupiter 45-C