Any news on the 24 series?

Started by StringPicker6, May 01, 2024, 11:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any news about the short scale series that is supposed to be coming out? I am curious if a short scale mahogany b/s L body guitar would sound anything like a Gibson J-45, only better because it would have the Larrivee magic quality.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Well, I wouldn't think it would sound like J-45 since it is a 000 and not a dreadnought. But I've never got what there is with this Gibson sound. The only great J-45 was one of those high-end replica models. I think there is a demo on Alamo Music. Every time I see a comparison demo between a Marti D-18 and a J-45, I prefer the D-18. And I see too many comments on AGF that the J-45 is great if you can find a good one. What's that all about? In fact, the dealer I work with who said he knows this instrument (J-45), said it was very different from the Eastman D-10SS. I was thinking about the Eastman at that time but changed my mind. I may be interested in the 000-24 comes out. I know there is a lefty on order.

I'm also puzzled by the talk of having to find "that one special j-45". I think people just don't play them long enough to get them to break in.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Getting back to my dealers' comments on the Eatman vs Gibson J-45, he said the Eastman has much more sustain. This is something I value. I ended up getting an Eastman E-10D. It had even more of what I wanted probably because it was a long scale instrument. I did end up selling the E-10D. My problem with Eastman is that they are limiting the number and types of instruments they will build for lefties. I wanted a varnish finish, and they won't do this for left hand players. When you start deciding what you will sell me, you lost a customer. Another thing that turns me off, why does Gibson or for that matter put a pickup system in their instruments? If I need that I'll have it added on.

Quote from: StringPicker6 on May 02, 2024, 12:39:00 PMI'm also puzzled by the talk of having to find "that one special j-45". I think people just don't play them long enough to get them to break in.
I wouldn't ever buy a guitar based upon what I think or hope or expect it to sound like at some future date.
As far as Gibson guitars go, from what I read in various places is that they are inconsistent. I read this again and again.
Sure, people will say no two guitars of the same make and model are alike, but apparently this is wildly true with Gibson guitars.
I cannot speak to this from personal experience as I'm not a Gibson player myself so this is only from what I read and thus I suspect that is what is meant if/when you hear  someone talk about finding a good one or that special one.
The company certainly went through some very difficult years under previous management and their reputation suffered.
Again, I don't have any personal experience with their instruments, at least not those built in the 21st century.

Hi Folks,
We showcased (soft launched) the 24 at the 2024 NAMM show this year. Once they are all built and photographed, the official launch should be at the end of June. We're almost there. - jr.

Wonderful news!!! So excited for the company!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: J M Larrivée on May 06, 2024, 05:59:42 PMHi Folks,
We showcased (soft launched) the 24 at the 2024 NAMM show this year. Once they are all built and photographed, the official launch should be at the end of June. We're almost there. - jr.

Looking forward to seeing some pics but even more to playing mine for the first time!

I look forward to seeing the 24 series since I already have two short scale guitars including a Larrivee maple Parlor and a Martin custom 000 12 fret with a slotted headstock. I also have my long scale 12 fret Larrivee Forum VI (LSV03) which has been the best sounding guitar I've ever played right out of the box.

Based on my past experience with Larrivee guitars over the past 20 years, I'm confident that the 24 series will be special.