Started by apell, March 14, 2024, 03:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneRite has 100% worked on mine, also
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Has this guitar been sitting unplayed for a number of years?  If so, I will echo what @mike_in_lytle said and say play it, play it, play it.   Once that guitar starts to respond/wake up/open up, etc, you will discover you have a guitar with a truly unique voice. 

That Blackwood is really special and has tonal subtleties that no other guitar will have.  Same is true with many guitars, but I'm just saying it's special.  When mine is dialed in just right (sometimes this has to do with the age of the strings, not the brand, etc.), it's a flat out amazing instrument to play.  I suppose every guitar has that little sweet spot where the strings are the right age, temp is just right, player is hitting his/her stride, etc. 

At any rate, I think you'll find that guitar really coming alive the more you play it.  I think you'll also find that a set of strings you weren't crazy about on Tuesday will sound a lot better on Friday.  This happens to me all the time. 

I think the need to play an instrument is often over stated. The #1 thing playing will do is psychological, by helping your ear adjust to something new. The amount of vibration it takes to loosen up the woods is significant and I don't believe in spending years playing guitar I don't love.

However, there's something I'll mention about blackwood. Larrivee blackwood is an acacia, very similar to koa. Koa is a really funny word. It does want to be woken up. It can sound outright anemic when it's stiff and koa guitars are known for changing significantly in the bass. I have one that will become thin sounding if unplayed for a few months. Then, getting it moving again brings the bass back. Also, it has much more bass now than it did 5 years ago. It's unreal how much it changed. Just something I thought I'd mention since this is an acacia guitar.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 15, 2024, 08:33:36 PMSitting overnight? You will need to play the guitar at least a couple of hours a day for the guitar to begin showing its voice again.... it has nothing to do with strings. The new strings have their own influence, which is wild and bright, but the GUITAR will need to open up, only YOU can do that.
I am sure you are experienced enough to know this.
Mike

Right...I just couldn't tell my playing the guitar and looking at the strings if they had just been installed or were old.
It's moot anyway...The guitar is a great.   Thanks.

Quote from: apell on March 17, 2024, 01:36:55 PMRight...I just couldn't tell my playing the guitar and looking at the strings if they had just been installed or were old.
It's moot anyway...The guitar is a great.   Thanks.
And I may have not got your earlier comments re: bass.. right anyhow.
You seem to be on the right track. I wish you the best.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)