How did you discover Larrivee?

Started by rosborn, March 28, 2015, 03:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A few years ago I decided that since I earned every dime of my income from Canadians I should support Canadian owned manufacturing where I could. I then decided to buy a new guitar and called up Grant at the 12th Fret in Toronto and told him I wanted a Canadian made guitar that had some roots and a story.  He recommended a Larrivee L03R made in Vancouver with  a SITKA spruce top that was being issued with a story "The Hunt For Spruce" I already knew about Larrivee guitars but hadn't owned one. This fit the bill and I am very fond of this guitar. I bought a couple of others but I sold them when The Larrivee's moved all operations to California. :rolleye:  I'm over it now and I really hope they win the American market over and become part of the Big Four! :thumb
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

Hi Rosborn,

I wrote this (my story) back in 2009

QuoteOriginally posted by ST:
JOYCEfromNS wrote some things in the Linda Manzer / Kathy Wingert Guitars discussion.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 27, 2009, 09:31:55 PM
Wow $30,000 for a git. Probably are nice BUT as someone on this forum's signature I just forget who " Larrivees My Dream Guitar then and Now" is how I too feel maybe a little sheltered and naive of me but I yam what I yam. Can't imagine them being that much better then my Dream Guitars just sayin!!!!!!!!! I am certainly not talented enough to bring out the subtleties I am certain of that and there is no way they could feel better!  $30,000 about the only person in NS who could afford that would be maybe Ann MURRAY oh and maybe Sidney CROSBY Guess I won't be plucken one of those anytime soon.   :nana_guitar

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 27, 2009, 08:14:31 PM
Keeping in mind my unfamiliarity with MANZER & WINGERT guitars ( never saw one) BUT are these guitars nicer than a say LSV11 or a 10 series Larrivee  or say  the 1997 Anniversary Bz Larrivee. Not dollar for dollar, guitar for guitar? Or are they just a tasters choice at that point?

and since s/he was probably referring to my signature line, I thought I might reply to the thought.

I've been meaning to write something about the idea of a dream guitar. Of course not all of us have the same dreams. So here is little about me, for context.

• I sort of straddle the line between a player/performer who wants a workhorse instrument for live performance, and the home player who treasures his/her instrument. I have been told by a trusted voice in the music industry, that far fewer than half of all guitars sold ever see use on a stage. That's another topic.

• I do take my best guitars out with me to play live.

• I don't buy anything that is too good to take to a gig, but I might be fussy about which instruments go to certain gigs

• I very rarely let others play my instruments unless I know they are as obsessive about things as I am, and I AM obsessive about things

• Yes, I do have a 30th Anniversary C10BZ and yes, it goes out with me to gigs, and yes, about a month ago I offered it to a friend to play at a house concert

• My Larrivées  are not the most expensive instruments here, but they may well be the most precious

Okay, enough context...

Back in my folkie days I hung out within spitting distance for Jean Larrivée's studio in Toronto. Two of the of people I played with regularly had Larrivées and told tales of Edgar Mönch and Grit Laskin. But way back then I looked at, heard, and played those early Larrivées and just knew that one day I had to have one.  That's when it was a dream. Those were tough times and there was no money for something so fine.

Years later, having left the foolishness of the music behind, I was doing better and came across a pair of Presentation Models: A Classical and a Steel String. I bought them. Again, that was a dream - to play them someday. But those were rough times and there was no time for something so trivial.

Years later, having left the foolishness of business behind, I was was doing better and came across an opportunity to play jazz. I traded the Larrivées for a nice jazz guitar and an amp. Again, that was a dream, to do well enough at music to be able to return to my acoustic roots with a nice Larrivée. But the offer to get back into music was  jazz. Jazz was great and as time went on, so were other styles of music, all electric. These were good times but there was no time for acoustic music.

Years later, having tired of the frenzy of electric music I turned again to acoustic music. When the time came, I tried lots of other acoustics, even bought a few (not few enough I'm afraid), but I always wanted a nice Larrivée. I bought a C10 Rosewood and almost immediately found a J10 that for some reason I liked better. One of my best friends stilll has that C10. It is available to me any time.  I still dreamed of that steel stringed Presentation Model. But it was long gone.  Eventually the 30th Anniversary C10 BZ was announced. By the time I heard about it, they were all presold.  That was as close to the dream as I imagined might ever happen, dashed. But later it turned out that one of the presold instrument deals did not complete and there was one to be had. I had to have it.

A decade passed and after coming across this forum, I started thinking again of Larrivées gone by. I found a C38 Classical. Beautiful in its simplicity and every bit as lovely as my memory of the Presentation Classical I had decades before, I had to have it.

I met the Forum III family in March last year. I had never considered a small-body guitar of any make, but the Forum III guitars (Danny's in particular) stole my heart. Another dream. Great - that's all I needed. It took awhile but eventually I found an LS-05. Good times.

So that's the story behind "Larrivée's (off and on) since the 70's. My dream guitars then and now."

Anyone else want to talk about why Larrivées are your dream guitars?

Quote from: Big.Al on March 29, 2015, 10:52:53 AM
Yep . . . it was you, Duck . . . on the old AG Magazine Forum. I miss that place. It was a friendly bunch . . . or at least it seemed that way. Maybe the moderators just kept things civil. I occasionally check in at the Soundhole and to say hi to the old AGMF folks, but mostly not. The discussions there can get  . . . well . . . unpleasant. I'd rather spend my forum time talking about guitars.

There's a gang of six or seven there that police thought like Big Brother's biggest fans. They don't hesitate to make disagreements personal and nasty. Very uncomfortable. I check in there now and then (and never post) just to see what a couple of folks are up to. I love Millring but he has had to make some large compromises to continue to stay on the good side of this gang. I couldn't be bothered. And there is very little guitar talk there, at all.  :beer

Step 1:  Ignorantly leave an Applause (Ovation's cheap brand for awhile) in it's case, in your car in summer heat.
Step 2: Realize that you have done something horribly wrong as there is now a crack in the top of your guitar and also a 'belly' to it, as well as nearly unplayable action
Step 3: Take it to the local mom and pop music store that has a luthier and ask for his advice
Step 4: Luthier says that you were ignorant for doing such a thing to your guitar, and luthier says that he can fix your Applause, it will be great fun for him, but it will cost much more than the Applause cost to begin with.
Step 5: Luther hands your Applause back to you and says: "Welcome to your campfire guitar"
Step 6: Go into mom & pop shop acoustic room and start playing all the brands on the wall that you know.  Settle for the formica Martin as it's in your price range and twiddle around on it trying to like it.
Step 7: Luthier walks by and says "If you are going to spend that much, save a little more and try out any of those Larrivee's.  All solid wood construction made in North America.  I don't know how the guy does it."
Step 8: Follow luthier's advice and become smitten.
Step 9: Eventually give the campfire Applause to a Larrivee forum member that lives nearby.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Walked into a shop to buy some strings and had a noodle on the guitars in the high end guitar room to dream a little. Worked my way through the usual suspects, until I picked up a Larrivee LO2. IT was simply the best guitar in that room at 1/3rd of the cost of the cheapest name brand guitar. Still got it...still love it.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: rockstar_not on March 29, 2015, 05:33:32 PM
Step 1:  Ignorantly leave an Applause (Ovation's cheap brand for awhile) in it's case, in your car in summer heat.
Step 2: Realize that you have done something horribly wrong as there is now a crack in the top of your guitar and also a 'belly' to it, as well as nearly unplayable action
Step 3: Take it to the local mom and pop music store that has a luthier and ask for his advice
Step 4: Luthier says that you were ignorant for doing such a thing to your guitar, and luthier says that he can fix your Applause, it will be great fun for him, but it will cost much more than the Applause cost to begin with.
Step 5: Luther hands your Applause back to you and says: "Welcome to your campfire guitar"
Step 6: Go into mom & pop shop acoustic room and start playing all the brands on the wall that you know.  Settle for the formica Martin as it's in your price range and twiddle around on it trying to like it.
Step 7: Luthier walks by and says "If you are going to spend that much, save a little more and try out any of those Larrivee's.  All solid wood construction made in North America.  I don't know how the guy does it."
Step 8: Follow luthier's advice and become smitten.
Step 9: Eventually give the campfire Applause to a Larrivee forum member that lives nearby.

I like your story because it reaffirms that there are still some good and honest guitar store people out there that are knowledgeable enough and have the integrity to get you the right guitar regardless of price or profit margin.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I came through the Parlor door, so to speak :)

I played a used Larrivee parlor a few years ago at a shop in Asheville, NC and loved it. My wife said no, so I had thought about it every time I bought  something new (used). I recently had a small stroke and hit on guitar playing to keep my hands working and went through a string of Gibsons, Martins, and others but none could get that sound out of my head. I bought a late-80's L-09 sight- unseen from the used guitar site of GC and am in the process of selling everything that isn't a Larrivee. I can't really say my playing has improved, but I'm sure enjoying it more!

I was looking thru YouTube covers of Bruce Cockburn songs, hoping to learn how to play some of them better than I could do at the time (I still rely on that a lot).  I found a couple of different people playing Larrivees there.  Since I was in the market for a new guitar I contacted one of them and asked how they liked the brand.  Shortly after that a used L-03 in sitka/walnut showed up in a store down the road, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 30, 2015, 07:57:50 AM
:donut :donut2 :donut :coffee
Did the L-05 you played have strap pins installed?
Mike

To be honest, I don't know.  Guess I was too smitten with the sound to notice. 

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on March 30, 2015, 03:46:43 AM
I like your story because it reaffirms that there are still some good and honest guitar store people out there that are knowledgeable enough and have the integrity to get you the right guitar regardless of price or profit margin.

Not too long after that, Dennis (the luthier) packed up and moved to the Big Island and is now doing this:

http://www.pomahina.com/

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Great stories!  I have really enjoyed reading all of them and thank all of you for contributing.  It is awesome to be a part of this forum and to bask in the knowledge an love that is so evident for Larrivee!

I was looking for a Les Paul in the local classifieds, I went to the sellers home to look it over I asked him why he was selling the Gibson. He said he had to offset the cost of his new guitar, then he showed me his new Rootbeer Burst RS4-Forum. He said give it a play, after that, I had to have one, it's an awesome guitar. A few visits later, I got to play his other Larrivee acoustic guitars. I now own 3 Larrivees. That seller was our very own LO7 Shooting Star. Thanks Kurt! :cheers

Started playing guitar 8 years ago.  First guitar was a Seagull S6+.  Lovely guitar.  Around the same time I was reading the April 2008 issue of Acoustic Guitar and  there was a feature on the history of Larrivee guitars.  Had never heard of Larrivee up to that point (I hadn't heard of a many guitar makers at that point) but I was intrigued.  Later that summer the Summer 2008 issue of The Fretboard Journal had a nice article on Jean.  After reading it I said to myself "I like that man" and decided to learn more about his guitars.  Fast forward 4 years and I am playing a lot more and feeling that my S6 dread is a little large for my liking and I began thinking about a smaller guitar.  I was ready to buy a Seagull SWS folk or mini-jumbo but I could not find any place that carried them.  I had remembered my interest in the Larrivee's and started looking at them along with Taylor.  I was really torn.  I loved the sound of my Seagull and didn't know if I could find something that nice in my budget. I eventually attended a Taylor Road Show and that event made my decision for me.  I enjoyed the Road Show very much and came away with three things.  1)  A new t-shirt.  2)  The realization that none of the Taylor's did anything for me 3)  Taylor's (IMHO) were way overpriced.  I walked away from that show and knew I wanted a Larrivee (literally!  I walked to my car saying "I'm getting a Larrivee!).  Then it was just a matter of which one.  Many thanks for Queequeg for allowing me to play almost every model Larrivee makes so I could pick the one (s) best suited for me. 

No regrets!
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

QuoteGreat question, but I'm not sure if I know exactly.  I'm sure I first heard the name on rmmga.

+1
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

It's a satisfying experience when someone chooses to purchase a Larrivee guitar after playing one or more of your own.  I love the stories where this has happened.  These guitars are (still, even today) mostly under the radar and a certain amount of "word of mouth" promotion is needed to keep them going.  I like to think that the membership of this forum is a fraternity where sharing and generosity is the rule.   
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

My first acoustic was a seagull sm6. I was 19 at the time had my first job and practically every paycheck was going to the local Music Box store (since taken over my Long & McQuade). Being young my primary guitar interest was in electrics so I spent my dollars getting aan american strat and a decent amp and little left to fund a decent acoustic. I still remember the conversation I had with Stan the manager who was a great guy.  He would let me take equipment and instruments home to try them out for a couple of days before deciding what to buy.  He suggested that I get either a seagull or a larrivee and told me they were both great Canadian buikt guitars but obviously the Larrivee was a clear step up.  I opted for the seagull since it was about half the price.  But I ofen regretted that decision and I knew at some point I would buy a Larrivee.

Have shared before in a previous thread, but here goes again...

In around 1990/91, I don't think I knew about Larrivee at all, unless I'd seen them in Frets, Fingerstyle or Acoustic Guitar magazines. I walked into a new small shop here in Omaha, Acoustic Music Plus, and met the owner/proprietor, Jim Nipper. Jim was carrying Guilds, maybe Alvarez's, and these interesting looking Larrivee guitars (along with banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, etc).

Jim got me up to speed on Larrivee's (Canadian, all solid woods, etc.), and I fell in love with the quality, aesthetics and tone. (Jim and I also became good friends in the process.)  I spent a lot of hours in his shop admiring every new Larrivee that came in, and I also knew they made ALL their guitars in lefty models for no extra charge.

I finally ordered one in June/July of '92, my beloved OM-05. It finally arrived in October, and it was beautiful. Jim gave me a great deal, I think I paid around $785 for the guitar with nice hardshell case. I couldn't afford it at the time, but I did it anyway! If this was my only acoustic guitar, I'd really have all I need (although I really love all the others, and look forward to having a special order L someday). 

I think I've owned around 9 Larrivees total so far (currently have 5) and bought my daughter one of the early parlors for her 14th birthday. It traveled back to Japan with her last year and she occasionally uses it at school, and she and her husband use it in their ministry (she's 28 now).

Like many of you, I walk into local shops and play the Martins, Gibsons, Taylors and others, and am always smiling when I think of how amazing my Larrivees are in comparison.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I'm living in Montreal in 1971.
Eric Nagler (owner of Toronto Folklore ct.) comes to the Yellow Door to play and brings a couple amazing Larrivee guitars, one with an ivory bridge.

He's taking orders. $300 down, then $300 in 6 weeks when the guitar is finished.
I have an old D-28, I hesitate.
Eric's next visit through, he has an L that blows me away.
It's late 71 early 72 now. I sell the D-28, and give Eric the $300.

I'm also working at Rufus Guitar shop, as an apprentice, repairing guitars ( I was building dulcimers before then).
Jean comes to town to visit Rufus, and buys our table router.
I tell him about my guitar order, he says it's almost done.
We strike a deal where I deliver the table router to Jean's shop, and pick up my guitar.
I sold that one to an amazing player who just HAD to have it.
I've had several since then, including the BZ L duck trapper owns.

I still have several, including the first one Jean ever built.
I play them all, regularly, on stage, in shows, at rehearsals, in the studio.

I don't have a scout shirt with a lot of badges.
I just have 45 years of Larrivee history under my belt.

AND I can still remember when Mariposa Folk Festival was held on Centre Island.
Several of us chuckled one year to see a very very young boy with a sign on the back of his shirt that said.
"my name is Matt, if i'm lost, find Jean Jean Larrivee"

really, you can't make this crap up!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I meant to put this here but did it as a new thread.  Heres my story :

Hope your up for a long(ish) winded story.  Its Fall 1990, I'm graduating from college and getting a divorce.  I'm living/going to school in Spokane Washington.  I'm walking downtown a bit off the main drag and I happen across this store with a large front window displaying guitars (Guitar Gallerie).  I had time so I walk in.  What struck me fist is that all the guitars were hanging individually on the wall like art pieces.

Immediately I suspected I had walked into a very upscale shop.  My guitar playing was recreational and I owned an epiphone something or other. So I'm taking my time looking closely at the "art" and being considerate that I likely have no business even being in the store much less pulling one down and strumming it.  Shortly the employee (store owner I think) comes over and starts the formalities a salesman tends to do.  I say I'm just browsing but these instruments are the most wondrous instruments I've ever seen.  I guess I said the right thing because he asks if I'd like to play one.  

I couldn't bring myself to do that because I'm an "entertain me only kind of guitar player".  Meaning I really wasn't much beyond playing chords.  These guitars deserved better than that : )  I did ask if he would play it for me and he said sure and pulled a Larrivee C10 down and made my jaw hit the floor!!! Besides being beautiful it was tonally beyond my vocabulary to describe.  He then described the Larrivee brand and the particular guitar he played was specially built for his store.  It had a eagle on the head, and feathers on the inlays and bridge. He described how it was a limited production piece (1 of 7) and that its body was Koa wood and that all seven were crafted from the one piece of wood.  He went on to tell me about the rosette inlay around the sound hole, the ivory of the eagle, the mother of pearl eagle beak...

I'm not really sure what I babbled next but it was something pretty stupid like "yeah thats amazing and all but I've heard the "best" guitars are Martins".  He said yeah that gets said a lot.  Let me show you one similar to the Larrivee.  So we go to the Martin section (this store had several brands represented and I doubt there was any guitar in there less than a grand (thankfully I hadn't seen a price tag yet!).  He pulls down a very impressive Martin similar to the Larrivee and plays it.  I thought it was a setup!! Thing was dull!!! no brilliance at all (I thought my epiphone sounded better lol).  So I say glibly that its not a fair comparison.  Not the same strings or they're old or something!! Nope, same strings and not old!! How can that be I ask!  He says don't get me wrong, Martins are great instruments, just ask anybody that owns one : ) Ahhh.  A Name can add much value!! That particular Martin was $2600!! Some unfortunate guy was someday gonna eventually own it and have a "great guitar" just ask him LOL

So I ask to hear the Larrivee again and its just amazing all over. Bright, overtones, resonance, powerful... No comparison at all and the Larrivee was much more fantastic to look at!! We talked for a bit and I finally began strumming it as I was beginning to think I'm buying me a guitar.  I hand it back and he returns it to its place and we make the store circuit looking at more Martins, Taylors (I think), others, Guild maybe, and a Laskin.  The Laskin was a real piece of artisan craftsmanship!! Also $5000!! Didn't need to hear that one lol (I was afraid I might like it more than the Larrivee which was $1950).

So I throw caution to the wind and plunk down a credit card (still hard to believe I had one back then with a limit high enough to buy the guitar).  As a bonus, he gives me 2 tickets to hear a solo guitarist performing in town for a small gathering.  Guy's name was Leo Kotke!! Didn't register with me at the time but hey, free tickets was cool right : )  So I got to hear Leo Kotke along with maybe 40 other folks.  I brought a date from school (splitting the sheets with the soon to be ex-wife so wasn't gonna take her).  My date was not feeling well and got worse during the concert an really needed to get home.  I was floored : (  I considered sending her in a cab.  But I liked this girl so I left at intermission and took her home.  Turns out that was a smart move!! She is my wife now of almost 25 years!! And she helped pay my credit card bill : )  She still pays the bills : )

One final piece.  Four years ago we had a devastating house fire. Lost like 75% of the structure and contents. When we were allowed back in I slogged through our bedroom to our closet where I kept the guitar in its case.  I was meticulous with it ever since I bought it.  It was as pristine as the day I got it!! I had to chuck the case as its was wrecked by debris falling on it when the roof collapsed.  I wrapped it in a dry blanket I found somewhere and put it in the car.  My plan was to have a luthier look it over and make sure there was no humidity damage.  That was all good but in the process of transporting it unprotected I managed to ding the top ever so slightly, almost looks smudged really like it would buff out (it won't) and I banged the edged of the body on something hard and nicked the finish. Slight but no longer mint : (  Easily excellent and not impact on playability or sound : )  I remember thinking if a famous musician had done that with my guitar and given it bak to me I'd be proud LOL.  I have allowed a professional jazz guitarist to use it in a couple solo gigs and he loves it.  Says its hands down the finest sounding acoustic guitar he's ever played.  I don't doubt it one bit!! I love listening to him play it!!  Me, I'm still just a strummer and country kind a picker : )

Last thing (I promise).  It's time to part with it.  I seldom play it and have gone to the dark side anyway (solid body electric for blues and blues rock). The Larrivee just doesn't sound right with the riffs and bending the strings is too much for this guy!  Any thoughts on what its value might be? If it really is as rare as the guy from the shop said then that counts for something (just ask me lol)