Body Shape and Bridge Placement of 12-Fret Guitars

Started by William2, January 13, 2024, 01:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A couple of things that bother me about 12-fret guitars is the body shape and bridge placement on these instruments. There are makers like Martin and others that merely build up the upper bouts to the 12th fret, and leave the bridge in the same place as a 14-fret OM. This doesn't happen on a classical guitar. And there are builders like Larrivee and Boucher that actually move the bridge lower on the lower bout and don't build up the upper bouts to the 12th fret. I think moving the bridge lower does make a sonic difference. And while making the upper bouts come up to the 12th fret creates more chamber space, it isn't to my ears the same thing. And these idiot demonstrators that mention the bridge has been lowered when it clearly is in the same place as an OM based on the pickguard drives me nuts. A great example of this is the Martin 15-000 and the Martin 15000SM. Both bridges are in the same place. I do think bridge placement affects the sound and the sustain of an instrument 9 more sustain on a 14-fret instrument/ fuller sound, easier attack on a 12-fret instrument). Has anyone played both types of 12-fret instruments and did you hear a difference.

I know what you mean. Keep in mind, the full-picture isn't revealed unless you know how it's braced. The things that really matter are not in view. But, generally speaking, I agree that leaving the bridge and soundhole (more specifically, the braces around the soundhole) in the same spot sort of misses the spirit of the 12-fret instrument. I suspect these marketing-oriented companies sometimes do this just to give the illusion of choice. That said, I haven't given those instruments much consideration (outside the Martin all-hog 000/OMs) so I can't really give a definitive opinion.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I have an OM 12 fret and even though I'm a tec I've never really given a thougt I just love the tone.

keep smilin :bgrin:  and keep dancin :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

A 12-fret OM? I am planning on one last instrument this year and it will be a 12-fret instrument. I own 4 guitars and I always grab the 12-fret instrument first when I start to play. Since it is a rosewood backed instrument, I plan on getting a mahogany guitar to pair with it. I have it down to a Larrivee 40-000, Larrivee D-40 12-fret limited run, or an Iris Roy Smeck model. The dealer I work with will be getting these in but not sure when. They are all lefty models. I like the Larrivee's and am impressed with their mahogany instruments on videos. I'm also impressed with the Iris Smeck model with its 5" deep body. But it does have that goofy body with the upper bouts built up and it looks to me like the Iris DF model. But I guess sound is the big criteria. Maybe I should contact Iris and see if the bracing is the same since BOWIE said it is about the bracing. And this Iris Smeck model will have an Adi top. I have an Eastman with an Adi top and do love its sustain, but I never end up grabbing it fist when I practice. It is always the Larrivee's, then the Martin, and then the Eastman.