The differences between the Larrivee series

Started by jeremy3220, December 02, 2007, 08:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi guys. I'm new to this make of guitars. I'm looking for some advice and opinions about the 12 string series of Larrivees. I've been a supporter of Canadian made guitars and a supporter of Canadian Luthiers. I have other guitars from Quebec and Newfoundland and now venturing to the west coast. By doing so I'm upgrading my guitars as well. Some of my friends play them and I liked what I heard.  Now I' m looking for a 12 string. I'm undecided to go rosewood or not, is there a big difference and worth the extra cost. My experience is that I'm not a working musician or belong to any bands. I just enjoy playing around here and there with friends occasionally. So if anybody who owns or uses a Larrivee 12 string professionally please let me know how you feel ab  out them.
Your comments will be appreciated and valued.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bill, welcome to the forum. You'll probably get more responses if you start a new thread. This is a technical FAQ and isn't really the place. It would be better to delete this post and start a new thread.

I notice the D-02 is not mentioned in this comparison list. Does anyone know how it differs from the D-03? So far, the only thing I can tell is that mine doesn't have the neck binding.

Quote from: madhatt on January 29, 2010, 01:15:09 PM
I notice the D-02 is not mentioned in this comparison list. Does anyone know how it differs from the D-03? So far, the only thing I can tell is that mine doesn't have the neck binding.

I'll answer my own question.. found this on the Larrivee site:

What is the difference between an -02 and and -03?
The -02 series was initially a limited run for the year 2000. The -02 and -03 were almost identical except for the -02 has black plastic ABS fingerboard binding and the -03 has white paper or Ivroid fingerboard binding, and the -03 was made with a slightly higher grade material. The -02 was cancelled in 2001. There are currently no plans to bring it back.

QuoteI'm not a wood expert, but in my opinion the quality of a guitar's sound is mostly influenced by the soundboard; back and sides have actually a minor influence

I think the side/back woods have recognizeable tones and are crucial, but you can get a Larrivee model with a variety of woods. Collings Guitars (the best my hands have played) has a guy that taps out all of the body's wood pieces for a match in tone before assembling. Intriguing to me :guitar
Mark
Larrivee D03R
Larrivee RS4 tobacco P90's

Just to update, I'm quite sure all models come with a Arch-top case. It's not noted here

Quote from: bjstrings on December 04, 2007, 03:57:36 AM
Like i said above, there's no point in publishing stuff like this (or posting it) if its wrong.  I have a 10 series w/ mahogany back & sides. Therefore, the 10 series is not always rosewood back & sides.  I've seen 10 series that are bubinga, mahogany, rosewood, maple, koa, and ziricote.  The only thing I haven't seen is walnut, there's probably been sopme those made as well.  So, let's try to get it right or not bother to just repeat what can be found just as easily on the Larrivee web site.  :?

The info is for standard models though. If you list any special run Larrivee made, you'd probably be better off naming any and every wood (except add a Obsolete beside cedar ;)).
Signatures are for losers.

Quote from: Long813 on March 15, 2010, 07:38:13 PM
Just to update, I'm quite sure all models come with a Arch-top case. It's not noted here

The 03 series comes with a flat top case and the 05 series and above come with arch top. That is not to say there are not exceptions to the rule.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 15, 2010, 11:30:12 PM
The 03 series comes with a flat top case and the 05 series and above come with arch top. That is not to say there are not exceptions to the rule.

Oh so that's what an archtop case is. Thanks for the clarification.
Signatures are for losers.

Quote from: madhatt on January 29, 2010, 02:51:29 PM
I'll answer my own question.. found this on the Larrivee site:

What is the difference between an -02 and and -03?
The -02 series was initially a limited run for the year 2000. The -02 and -03 were almost identical except for the -02 has black plastic ABS fingerboard binding and the -03 has white paper or Ivroid fingerboard binding, and the -03 was made with a slightly higher grade material. The -02 was cancelled in 2001. There are currently no plans to bring it back.
Reviving a really old thread.

I have an -02 (OM-02) made in 2015.it has maple fretboard binding and body binding. Ebony bridge and fretboard.
I really am not sure what the difference between it and an -03 is except some cosmetics. I think the saddle and nut are bone, smelled like it when I sanded it down to fix the action and the mistake a prior owner made when they put in the Fishman under-saddle bridge. (It wasn't flat and too high). I could be wrong on that. What is TUSQ like when sanded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: Jamolay on May 10, 2021, 07:46:20 PM
Reviving a really old thread.

I have an -02 (OM-02) made in 2015.it has maple fretboard binding and body binding. Ebony bridge and fretboard.
I really am not sure what the difference between it and an -03 is except some cosmetics. I think the saddle and nut are bone, smelled like it when I sanded it down to fix the action and the mistake a prior owner made when they put in the Fishman under-saddle bridge. (It wasn't flat and too high). I could be wrong on that. What is TUSQ like when sanded?

They made some upgrades on the 02 series around that time that essentially made them comparable to an 03,just slightly different.

Tusq looks and sounds like plastic when you hold it up to light and when you drop it on a table top. Bone has a subtle translucency around the edges when you hold it up to light, and makes a sort of a "ping" when you drop it on a table. A higher pitched sound than the synthetic tusq.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 10, 2021, 07:57:04 PM
They made some upgrades on the 02 series around that time that essentially made them comparable to an 03,just slightly different.

Tusq looks and sounds like plastic when you hold it up to light and when you drop it on a table top. Bone has a subtle translucency around the edges when you hold it up to light, and makes a sort of a "ping" when you drop it on a table. A higher pitched sound than the synthetic tusq.
Thanks! I have an email into Larrivee to ask about the 2014 -02. Best I can tell is that the difference is primarily cosmetic, maybe a wood grade or something as well.

What does TUSQ do with a hot pin? I was thinking of touching them with a hot pin. Plastic a little melt, bone no melt, TUSQ ??

I figure it isn't a problem to melt a small divot in them. If they are plastic, they will be replaced. If they are already bone, I won't damage them.

Quote from: Jamolay on May 10, 2021, 09:40:45 PM
Thanks! I have an email into Larrivee to ask about the 2014 -02. Best I can tell is that the difference is primarily cosmetic, maybe a wood grade or something as well.

What does TUSQ do with a hot pin? I was thinking of touching them with a hot pin. Plastic a little melt, bone no melt, TUSQ ??

I figure it isn't a problem to melt a small divot in them. If they are plastic, they will be replaced. If they are already bone, I won't damage them.

Melts. If it's hot enough. I've never felt that was necessary as once you handle a tusq, you can spot them every time at a glance.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Thanks for the replies! I sent pictures in to Larrivee email and they have kindly indulged me.

My guitar is an OM-02 made in November 2014. Apparently it is one of the "leftover" generation ii OM-02s  that started the build in Canada and finished in Oxnard. I am told it is essentially an OM-03 with a multi-stripe rosette, and few if any other differences. The nut and saddle are high density bone, the pins are composite.

All nice to know! Especially since I bought an advertised-03 and what came was an -02. I took a partial refund rather than returning and feel I made a good choice.

Even though I know the difference may be minimal, I will replace the pins with bone pins from the Larrivee shop. Why not? I want to.

By the way, the Larrivee support folks are awesome.