Bridge Question

Started by William2, February 28, 2024, 08:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much does the shape of the bridge affect the tone of the instrument and is there a structural consideration for these shape changes? I noticed on the Larrivee Legacy series that the 0 and 00 have a simple rectangular shape. Starting with the 000 and larger the bridge bows out behind the string area. I also noticed on my SD-40RW which was a special run with old Sitka and an enlarged sound hole, that my bridge is the simple rectangular shape unlike the pics on the Larrivee site showing the SD-40RW. I actually prefer the simple rectangular shape bridge and wonder if there was a reason for this variation in bridge shape given that all Larrivee models usually use the long scale string length.

While it does affect things, it seems to be mostly a cosmetic choice as things the builder does make the bridge size and shape less important. For instance, the bridge plate underneath may be larger or smaller. It has a bigger footprint and is actually more influential but no one talks about it because it's unseen. The braces under the bridge are also far more impactful. Slight adjustments under the sound board are ultimately far more important so choose the bridge you like the look of.

I have guitars with both and I love the look of pyramid bridges but if it's a light or soft top, I think a traditional shape makes me feel a little easier. Less chance of deformation. Ultimately, the builder knows best as they're the ones bracing around it and that's the area that matters.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.