Strings for my L 09

Started by xeroid, February 28, 2010, 01:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have tried the Elixer set and find them hard to play 12-54 so was thinking of Martin SP4050 Custom Light - 11 15 23 32 42 52 Phospher Bronze.

Will the lighter strings vibrate more thus causing more buzz?  Can the action be set lower with lighter strings or do they need to be heavier?  Anyone use these Martin strings or similar 11-52 and can comment?

I only play mediums on my L-09, sound deep rich and wonderful, whether PB, 80/20 or Red Strings. Tazkes a while to build up the calluses and strength, but many of us find it is worth it.

Yes lights tend to buzz more, need to check the neck relief and action as that will alleviate some of the tendency.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

X, I always & only use D'Adarrio EL-16s on all of my guitars that take lights. Might have to change them a little more, but worth it. Try a set. You'll be happily surprised @ the sound you get. Many on the Forum really like them, sounding so nice. Some don't, preferring coated. Your choice? :?
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

I just recently tried Martin's Fx (Flexible core Strings)..........THEY ROCK!

I've got the Light Mediums on right now and they feel and bend just like 12's on an Electric!!!!  They really are that much easier to play.   But with the same tension!

And they sound Incredible!!!  Very rich with a powerful base.   Never been a fan of Martin Strings....but after 6 weeks on this same set......I'm a Convert!!!

Maybe these would do the trick for you!!

Cheers!

Bubblemaker!

The buzzing is most likely due to the lower tension on the neck!!!!

Try the FX Light/Mediums or Mediums...you won't regret it!

Cheers!

Bubblemaker

Step  #1.....  get a set up done the get the action and frets right.
This should help even mediums need much less fingertip pressure to get clean buzz free notes.

Step #2.....  Practice using the least finger pressure needed to get clean notes..
You will find when beginning that we all SQUEEEEEEZZZZe  too hard to correct bad playing technique and poorly set up guitars.
Learning to use less pressure from the start will prevent bad habits that need to be broken later to progress
to faster better playing.

Set-up..... practice.....you can experiment with strings as you progress.  No string choice, other than maybe silk'n steel, will help your sore fingertips.

BTW... have fun makin' music,  take a break iffen it hurts.  :beer

ps  my fav strings are DR Sunbeam round cored strings 12-54's.  Sound great and a bit more flexy.
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

I forgot to mention!!!!   

Before even considering getting anything set-up .....

Do yourself and your guitar a big favour and make sure it is a the proper humidity  45%-50%.  Especially with solid wood guitars!!!!!!!

That can make a very big difference.....I know because if I let any of my guitars get below 40% for any period of time....they start to dry out and thus the buzzing begins!!!!

After a couple of days of humidification.......like magic the buzzing dissapears!!!

And they sound great again!  Its quite remarquable how I have to tune them down a slight bit everyday due to expansion as they rehydrate!!!

I find the LV05 especially temperamental when it comes to humidity!

Try the planet waves "new improved Humidipak system"  its a no brainer and it works very well!!  I have one in every guitar case!!!

Cheers!

Bubblemaker!

Quote from: Daysailer on February 28, 2010, 08:59:12 PM
Step  #1.....  get a set up done the get the action and frets right.
This should help even mediums need much less fingertip pressure to get clean buzz free notes.

Step #2.....  Practice using the least finger pressure needed to get clean notes..
You will find when beginning that we all SQUEEEEEEZZZZe  too hard to correct bad playing technique and poorly set up guitars.
Learning to use less pressure from the start will prevent bad habits that need to be broken later to progress
to faster better playing.

Set-up..... practice.....you can experiment with strings as you progress.  No string choice, other than maybe silk'n steel, will help your sore fingertips.

BTW... have fun makin' music,  take a break iffen it hurts.  :beer

ps  my fav strings are DR Sunbeam round cored strings 12-54's.  Sound great and a bit more flexy.

+1 on all of the above, but my string of choice are DR SUNBEAMS 13-56, man up  :humour:
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065