Best "non invasive" pic up for and L-05???

Started by markyboy, June 16, 2008, 09:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'd like some input on which is the best "non invasive" pic-up for an L05. The most I would take as far as  modifying the body would be a strap end plug. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
:? :? :? :?
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

K&K Pure Western mini.  Happens to be the pick up of choice for many of us.  I've installed several myself.  I've got one en route as we speak.  It'll be going into the used OM-05MT Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars sold me last week.  They are very warm and natural all on their own but with a K&K preamp, either the newer XLR or the Pure Preamp, you'd be amazed how it just sounds like your guitar, only louder!  The real nice thing about it is you can put the same pick up in all your guitar but you only need one preamp.  That's what I've been doing.  For about $200, you could get the pick up and the Pure Preamp and install it yourself...fun to do actually.  The OM-05MT will be my 3 time self installing

Quote from: Denis on June 17, 2008, 07:37:39 AM
K&K Pure Western mini.  Happens to be the pick up of choice for many of us.  I've installed several myself.  I've got one en route as we speak.  It'll be going into the used OM-05MT Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars sold me last week.  They are very warm and natural all on their own but with a K&K preamp, either the newer XLR or the Pure Preamp, you'd be amazed how it just sounds like your guitar, only louder!  The real nice thing about it is you can put the same pick up in all your guitar but you only need one preamp.  That's what I've been doing.  For about $200, you could get the pick up and the Pure Preamp and install it yourself...fun to do actually.  The OM-05MT will be my 3 time self installing

:+1: :+1:

easy instal with no modifications and it sounds FANTASTIC!!!

K&K or sure!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I'll drop my .02 here.

I recommend the Baggs dual source. It's easier to install than the K&K, I know from experience. However, the K&K is less invasive to your wallet. :laughin: Sounds better to my ear than the K&K, too. My K&K equipped guitar doesn't have the volume, presence or tone that I get from the dual source.

If you want to hear what it sounds like, I'll send you an audio file. You'll be blown away by the tone.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Quote from: Denis on June 17, 2008, 07:37:39 AM
The K&K mini was the one I was looking at along with the LR Baggs M1.
The question I have is on the end pin jack. It looks like it needs to be opened up to a 1/2" Any one know what the stock size hole is?
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

If I am not mistaken your L-05 is predrilled at 1/2".  So you only have to remove the one there, and install the new one.  Good luck, and if it was me I would put in the K&K. 
Clifford
Clifford

Larrivee L-09 Custom Moonspruce
Eastman E20SS
JWalker "Wise River"
McPherson Sable
Fender Telecaster American ProII
Furch G23SR Cutaway Sitka / Rosewood
PRS Santana Abraxas

Quote from: Southern Cross on June 17, 2008, 01:32:24 PM
If I am not mistaken your L-05 is predrilled at 1/2".  So you only have to remove the one there, and install the new one.  Good luck, and if it was me I would put in the K&K. 
Clifford

If that's the case.. I'd really call that "non invasive". That would be great!
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

Quote from: Southern Cross on June 17, 2008, 01:32:24 PM
Clifford

Yeah, if there's already an endpin, it's 1/2"