How many brands of acoustic (or acoustic/electric) guitars do you own?

Started by Mikeymac, September 10, 2018, 09:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: headsup on January 19, 2019, 05:20:57 PM
both at the same time is a blessing I think.

That would be good but I'm afraid the poorer part is closer to the truth.   :cheers

Finally arrived today...2018 (used) Gibson J-35 (now out of production for some reason - I think because of the new incoming cheap models that were in its same price range.)

After changing the strings to 80/20 Bronze mediums (which I don't care for on anything but Gibsons) and a slight tweak of the truss rod, this thing plays and sounds glorious!

I will say - Gibson's build quality is not at the level of Larrivee or Martin (or Taylor), but when they get it right, it has a sound you won't find too many other places. I will say the woods on this one are very nice - sorry the pics aren't clearer - I'll get some better ones in sunlight soon:

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

With today's trade of my parlor for an OM-02, I'm still at three Larrivees, one Martin, and one Lowden (plus a few electrics, which is a whole 'nother story).  

The Martin is a beautiful oddity: a sunburst Custom Shop D-28 Marquis slope dread made for Make'n Music in Chicago that is basically Martin's take on a Gibson Advanced Jumbo.  I visited Make'n 9 years ago and fell in love with this guitar and immediately ordered it when I got back home.  In one guitar, it satisfied my thirst for a nice Martin and a Gibson slope D.

The Lowden is an O22.  It's a beautiful guitar, but it was a bit of a problem child at first.  I might tell that story another time.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Three- Yamaha FG700 (First guitar), Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood (Second guitar, forever guitar until I discovered Larrivee), Larrivee D-40r (Third guitar, now I want another Larrivee).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: Tycho on April 27, 2019, 10:10:10 PM

The Martin is a beautiful oddity: a sunburst Custom Shop D-28 Marquis slope dread made for Make'n Music in Chicago that is basically Martin's take on a Gibson Advanced Jumbo.  I visited Make'n 9 years ago and fell in love with this guitar and immediately ordered it when I got back home.  In one guitar, it satisfied my thirst for a nice Martin and a Gibson slope D.

Got any pics of that Martin? Sounds intersting...

...meanwhile, I've added another Martin, mentioned in another thread here - my Model America 1 dreadnought - and my only all solid wood dreadnought, even though I've got (I'm embarrassed to say) around 10 decent acoustics these days...

Having trouble attaching jpgs for some reason.  Maybe they're too big.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Well, this picture was taken after I sold my Martin D-15 and before I acquired my 000-50, LS-03 (Forum III), D-40R, L-05 Custom, and P-05.  So I've had a few.  Never owned a Taylor though.   Funny,  I had sent a deposit for a beautiful Taylor sunbrust but was informed that the guitar sold to someone else before my deposit arrived.   By chance I saw an ad for Larrivee guitars in a guitar magazine right after that.  That's how this long strange trip began.   :roll

Hi usual Mid-lifer with a few i've picked up along the way:

Martin 00018 1960
Martin 00171950
Larrivee C 50 1989
Bougeoius Soloist  2005
Ramundo Classical  1998
Parkerfly Deluxe 1999
Ibanez Pat Metheny 2001

Holding for now and hoping to play them all.
ronatkinson England

OK folks, what am I doing wrong?  I'm trying to post a picture from my computer desktop and it's not working.  Drag-and-drop doesn't work, and neither does the insert-image icon....
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Quote from: Tycho on April 30, 2019, 08:16:54 PM
OK folks, what am I doing wrong?  I'm trying to post a picture from my computer desktop and it's not working.  Drag-and-drop doesn't work, and neither does the insert-image icon....

It's always a size issue when it happens to me.  :whistling:  :wink:

Quote from: Tycho on April 30, 2019, 08:16:54 PM

Your files are probably too large.  resize and follow the procedure here..................http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=17645.0

Or put the photos on a photo hosting site and put a link in your post.  Good luck,  We'd like to see the pics

OK, trying again....
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Success!!!

Very nice, btw!

:nice guitar:

Back down to 2 (Larrivee and Martin) because of my 1 in 1 out rule (rules sux).
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

:donut2 :donut :coffee :donut :donut2
'05 Larrivée OM-03 bear claw
'08 Larrivée OM-03R
'13 Kronbauer TDK 285 koa custom
'19 Gnome Blues 00 EIR & T13 redwood
'94 Froggy Bottom koa custom dread'
'84 K. Yairi 377
'78 S. Yairi 726
circa 1905 Vega parlor
Stella 60's parlor with painted fret markers/ply'
'94 ('97) '62 reissue Saudi/Vegas/Nashville Tele'
'79 Epi Genesis DC thru

Just traded my Gibson J-35. Nice guitar, but not as nice tonally as my Martin J-18 and Larrivee L-05, so it's gone. I'm in a downsizing mode - got around 6 acoustics to sell, plus maybe an electric or three. I've found my "tonal niche" - so it's getting easier to move some pieces along. 

In this house we now have:
Larrivée,  Valencia, Taylor, First Act, Yamaha and the latest 1970 Sears & Roebuck Silvertone
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

With the addition of this one ... five. Austin, the black hawk. I was banging out John Prine songs on it last night, entertaining my wife and our friend. Sounded pretty good.

Down one more guitar (but not one more brand): a Martin OM-21 ships out tomorrow. Nice guitar, but doesn't have the balance and control of my Larrivee OM-05. The upside is I sold it for about $150 more than I paid for it back in February! Nice!

Currently have 5 more lefties listed on Reverb. Got a bite on the Taylor GS Mini today; I countered, but they declined to take me up on it. It's okay; it will sell - "time-- is on my side."

:donut :coffee

Another out the door - the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany. Pretty popular, so an easy sell...

Trying to get to where I just have what I play... or as many as Tom has, whichever comes first!  :roll

:nana_guitar