Newbie here: New to Larrivee, Body wood help please

Started by Pathfinder, February 28, 2018, 08:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,
Been playing forever it seems but never had a great acosustic. Lots of Strats, etc. An old Takamine was it since 90 to today. So I am trying to decide between the mahogany D-40 and the D-40R. I do not have access to the Rosewood, it would have to be ordered. I like the Mahogony, but of course I cannot compare it to the other. From what I could find online, I understand Rosewood more bass, less mids and clarity maybe?
The $$ different is pretty big in this store because the D-40 they have is 2017, so they would do a great deal. To order the D-40RE with an Anthem pup they want $XXXX out the door.

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Acoustics and wood are not my strong suits. YET!  

Thanks very much. I look forward to reading a zillion posts here about Larrivees and acoustics in general
Pathfinder

I would recommend Mahogany if you like clarity and sparkle in the high frequencies.  EI Rosewood is mellow up top with more "warmth" and complexity in the midrange and bass.  I really like what Larrivee does with Mahogany and recommend it.  People tend to think of rosewood as more desirable because it's more expensive and rare, but I've never been wild about the Indian variety you commonly see in guitars.  Really depends on the instrument, the player, and the application though.  Both can sound lovely.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Welcome to the forum.  But be advised that I have modified your post to make it comply with rule #3 of our Forum Rules.   :wink:   

As to your question.  I have a D-040R but I have not been able to compare to a D-40 as I am a lefty and you just can't find them.   Kind of the opposite or your situation.   I think I would seriously consider the D-40 if you can play it first and find it to your liking.   I prefer guitars without factory electronics myself.  But either way you would have a very fine guitar.   

Hi. Welcome to the forum. You've played the mahogany and you liked the guitar plus it will be a better deal? Have I answered the question? Get the rosewood next.   :cheers

So, OK
Also will play the D-40 a bit more in the store. See what kind of deal he can make. He has had it for a year hanging, not on a wall though. One thing I do NOT like are open tuners. But hey, you cannot have everything. To upgrade I would have to fill holes and I do not want to do that. So i'll see.

I guess $xxx  included is an OK price...No one commented. I know it' better to buy used. I did check and most that were in real good shape were around $1,350, $1,499 :smile: and up without a pickup. Whether I get one with a pickup or not I will need to install one.

Appreciate the advice very much. I will let you know what I wind up with. I am not buying this thinking resale value. I am an old guy, play a lot of electric. Some arthritis. This will be my acoustic gift to myself

I just purchased a D-40 online and agonized over the decision to go with the D40 or the D40-R! This video really is well done and helped me make up my mind!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6JkyxFw2gvw
2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa

Sound quality is not great, but here is a clip playing identical OM-03 guitars, one with Rosewood, one with Mahogany.  Also a Carbon fiber OM

https://soundcloud.com/rocket_song/3-guitars-sound-samples

Quote from: Pathfinder on February 28, 2018, 09:43:53 PM
So, OK
Also will play the D-40 a bit more in the store. See what kind of deal he can make. He has had it for a year hanging, not on a wall though. One thing I do NOT like are open tuners. But hey, you cannot have everything. To upgrade I would have to fill holes and I do not want to do that. So i'll see.

I guess $xxxx tax included is an OK price...No one commented. I know it' better to buy used. I did check and most that were in real good shape were around $xxxx, $xxxx :smile: and up without a pickup. Whether I get one with a pickup or not I will need to install one.

Appreciate the advice very much. I will let you know what I wind up with. I am not buying this thinking resale value. I am an old guy, play a lot of electric. Some arthritis. This will be my acoustic gift to myself

Prices aren't allowed, so I x'ed out the numbers allowed (hint hint).

If the two woods aren't available, I'd say try a Martin D18 and D28 next to each other.  That'll give you a basic idea of mahogany vs rosewood.  That said, I can't remember a mahogany Larrivée I didn't like.  I can't say that about rosewood.  But, what I like doesn't matter.

Ed

Ed

wasn't aware I couldn't list the price to get the forums view if it was no great deal\fair\good\. Sorry.

OK so I listened to the videos and the one  with the one guy switching between the 2 D 40's was very informative. Mahogany sounded nice to me also.

Thanks again

So, OK

I guess $1,700 tax included is an OK price...No one commented. I know it' better to buy used. I did check and most that were in real good shape were around $1,350, $1,499 :smile: and up without a pickup. Whether I get one with a pickup or not I will need to install one.

Are you in Canada - because those would be ridiculously high prices in $ USD...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Nope I am in Florida. Not ridiculously high from my extensive research the last 15 days or so. Wish I could list the online prices I saw.
Well, I may rethink this whole think since you are telling me I am getting ripped off by a mom % & pop strore in Florida...People I have known for 25+ years. Hmmm>

Guess I will look elsewhere. Thanks

One thing I do NOT like are open tuners. But hey, you cannot have everything. To upgrade I would have to fill holes and I do not want to do that. So i'll see.

Welcome, Pathfinder.
Personal choice. Me- I prefer the open back tuners. In any event, I wouldn't consider changing them out to be an "upgrade" in this instance. Well, possibly, depending on which tuners you chose.
Quote from: ducktrapper on February 28, 2018, 09:22:49 PMHi. Welcome to the forum. You've played the mahogany and you liked the guitar plus it will be a better deal? Have I answered the question? Get the rosewood next.   :cheers
^ What he said.

:welcome: to the forum, several dealers are worth the time to check out. Prices vary "Big Time", there are deals out there, that being said,. I sent you a PM.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: Pathfinder on February 28, 2018, 11:24:14 PM
Nope I am in Florida. Not ridiculously high from my extensive research the last 15 days or so. Wish I could list the online prices I saw.
Well, I may rethink this whole think since you are telling me I am getting ripped off by a mom % & pop strore in Florida...People I have known for 25+ years. Hmmm>

I saw the price in your orig. Post.  Not real!y out of line for D40re.  The electronics add significantly to the total.  I like to support the local mom  and pop shop.   If the shop has the D40 in stock you could ask them for a good deal on it with a quality pick up system installed.

Quote from: Pathfinder on February 28, 2018, 11:24:14 PM

If your last comment is sarcasm, point taken. I would NOT be one to steer you away from a Mom&Pop store; I try to buy locally as much as possible (with instruments; strings locally are ridiculously high, so I order them on line often).

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 01, 2018, 11:16:26 AM
I saw the price in your orig. Post.  Not real!y out of line for D40re.  The electronics add significantly to the total.  I like to support the local mom  and pop shop.   If the shop has the D40 in stock you could ask them for a good deal on it with a quality pick up system installed.

Sorry - I missed that this model had a pickup in it - that does add significantly to the total, as Lynn pointed out. I do agree with another person here who suggested getting one w/o a pickup and adding one yourself later - it gives you much more choice (although I have nothing against Larrivee's choice of pickups).

Well, I listened, I read, I researched.
I did buy a guitar from the mom & pop store where I live. IMHO I got a very good deal. But biggest deal is I GOT TO PLAY it for hours. I have bought many guitars in my day and been disappointed too many times with online purchases. In fact, the one good, or great experience was my 2006 American Deluxe Strat-yellow\blonde, special run. It is a dream.

I bought the L-03E mahogany. Plays like a dream even with old strings and sounds killer. I love it. Like I said I am an old guy, playing guitar since the 70's seriously. Bought and sold many guitars.

I am very happy with the Larrivee of my choice. The Anthem pup sounds fabulous also. Cannot wait to change the strings. I can see the rust on the e,B & G strings.

Thanks for all your kind words and here's to my first ever Acoustic Guitar Forum...........
Frank (aka Pathfinder) I was a pathfinder in Viet Nam, so that will give you an idea of how old I actually am. Old..  :-)

Thanks for your service to our country Frank. Hope you enjoy your guitar for many years. Good choice too
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

And another happy ending.............or is it a beginning ?    :nana_guitar

Quote from: Pathfinder on March 01, 2018, 01:55:14 PM
I did buy a guitar from the mom & pop store where I live. IMHO I got a very good deal. But biggest deal is I GOT TO PLAY it for hours.

I bought the L-03E mahogany. Plays like a dream even with old strings and sounds killer. I love it. Like I said I am an old guy, playing guitar since the 70's seriously. Bought and sold many guitars.

I am very happy with the Larrivee of my choice. The Anthem pup sounds fabulous also. Cannot wait to change the strings. I can see the rust on the e,B & G strings.
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Good job. I have three L-body mahogany Larrivees, all great. I have yet to own a non-L-body Larrivee acoustic, that is how good I think they are.
I also do most of my business with a small local store, although most of my Larrivee purchases have been through this forum.
I also really like being able to go in there and noodle to my heart's content when it's a quiet day there.
Enjoy.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: broKen on March 01, 2018, 02:03:34 PM

Thanks for your service to our country Frank.

:+1:

Another big fan of the L body here - and I recently got a mahogany one (L-05 Custom listed below) that already sounds phenomenal! The L is like an undercover secret weapon.