Sir Paul's 1961 Höfner 500/1 bass guitar

Started by Queequeg, February 16, 2024, 08:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The following is from the BBC:
"Sir Paul McCartney has been reunited with the bass guitar he used on Beatles hits including Love Me Do and She Loves You, 51 years after it was stolen from the back of a van in London.

The Höfner bass was found in a family's attic in Sussex thanks to a search by a project called the Lost Bass.
Sir Paul bought the guitar in 1961. It was taken in west London in 1972.
A spokesperson for the former Beatle said he was "incredibly grateful" for its return.
The hunt began after the star urged Höfner to find his beloved instrument. The bass was used on Love Me Do and She Loves You.
Following an appeal for information by the Lost Bass search project, a family living in a terraced house in Sussex contacted the team remembering they had an old bass guitar in their attic.
It was reunited with Sir Paul in December.
His spokesperson said: "Following the launch of last year's Lost Bass project, Paul's 1961 Höfner 500/1 bass guitar, which was stolen in 1972, has been returned.
"The guitar has been authenticated by Höfner and Paul is incredibly grateful to all those involved."
Speaking to BBC News, the team behind the Lost Bass project said they were thrilled to solve the case they dubbed "the greatest mystery in the history of rock and roll".
"There were no leads, no evidence really where it might be," said journalist Scott Jones, who alongside his wife and fellow journalist Naomi last year joined the search headed by Höfner bass expert Nick Wass.
"To have found it quite quickly is amazing and we've heard how thrilled Paul McCartney is to have it back.
"That's just the icing on the cake to know that bloke we all love is smiling tonight because his old guitar is back.""

Very cool!  There's interviews of Paul talking about that lost bass, and I remember him saying that he like to imagine that it was in some billionaire's hidden lair in a hollowed out volcano in a glass case, or something along those lines. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Glad to read that Hofner is back where it belongs.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"