Thermo Cured Tops

Started by William2, September 18, 2023, 11:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: B0WIE on September 23, 2023, 10:42:12 AMThat's the main reason I buy instruments with some age on them. I just like the sound better. Getting a discount is a bonus.
Yeah, new guitars are great, and there can often be something magical about hearing the possibilities that are latent inside a well-made guitar with the plastic still on the pickguard.  I've played several over the years that I just knew would turn into great guitars someday.  But there is also something magical about old wood that's had lots of string vibration running through it. 

Should guitar have gut strings instead of steel strings? Should guitars only be made with traditional woods (WTF is Ziricote, Cocobolo or Moon Spruce)?  Should guitars be built with CNC machines?  Plek machines? 

Do you use cruise control, spell check and a microwave even thought classic cars, typewriters and stove tops are "traditional"?

Progress can be a good thing. Torrified woods are just another tonal and construction choice. Old woods and traditional adding are great but if some oxygen free heat treatment gets a tonal characteristic you like, who cares. 

Quote from: kevbroce on October 04, 2023, 09:29:01 PMShould guitar have gut strings instead of steel strings? Should guitars only be made with traditional woods (WTF is Ziricote, Cocobolo or Moon Spruce)?  Should guitars be built with CNC machines?  Plek machines? 

Do you use cruise control, spell check and a microwave even thought classic cars, typewriters and stove tops are "traditional"?

Progress can be a good thing. Torrified woods are just another tonal and construction choice. Old woods and traditional adding are great but if some oxygen free heat treatment gets a tonal characteristic you like, who cares. 

I totally agree with that last sentence.