Northwood, Halcyon/tinker, Morgan

Started by guitarman001, June 19, 2023, 07:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Been reading about the great Canadian luthiers who served under J. Larrivee. More than mentioned here, of course. Anybody had experience with any in the title and in fact, any others?

I keep reading Northwood is a "step up" - any experiences?

I love Canadian luthiery
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I played a Northwood once many years ago. Very nice. They're quite beautiful.
Haven't seen one for a long time now. They were "affordable boutique" guitars then.
Well, that was then...

I think they still are affordable boutique.
So you never bought it?

And I think he does everything, one man job style. There are a few here in the UK but many miles away. Usually when folk say "better than" they mean they're built lighter. Shoreline Northwood videos sound great, but so do Larrivee.

I hope these Canadian luthiers are making a good living. This article is nice:

https://cjtm.icaap.org/content/23/v23art4.html
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on June 19, 2023, 08:22:26 AMI think they still are affordable boutique.
So you never bought it?

And I think he does everything, one man job style. There are a few here in the UK but many miles away. Usually when folk say "better than" they mean they're built lighter. Shoreline Northwood videos sound great, but so do Larrivee.

I hope these Canadian luthiers are making a good living. This article is nice:

https://cjtm.icaap.org/content/23/v23art4.html
Well, no, I couldn't buy it as the one I played wasn't for sale.
And, as boutique guitars go, they're still on the lower end of the price scale, I have to agree with you. Everyone's definition of "affordable" may be different, however.

Never mind unknown boutique builders who have studied or maybe had a beer with JCL, I still wonder why Larrivees are still relatively unknown and get such little love in US publications. There's a builder here in Stevens Point, in Central Wisconsin, by the name of John Currier who builds wonderful guitars but the competition these days is ridiculous. He's decided to pack it in and only make guitars if someone orders one. Sad. Some of the nicest guitars I've ever played. 

https://www.lywam.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Currier-Residency-Woodson-Art-Museum-.pdf

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/lookaside/crawler/media/?media_id%3D10160336280585335&imgrefurl=https://www.facebook.com/CurrierGuitars/&h=735&w=1072&tbnid=x6DfXwdCxlTY6M&q=john+currier+guitars&tbnh=103&tbnw=150&usg=AI4_-kRBeQQmeRULlUbD_MUZssnnXykLVA&vet=1&docid=RK9Wh54Bpq8rhM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjfkeXBwND_AhV4lIkEHfnXByAQ9QF6BAgJEAQ

https://www.google.com/url?url=https://jedistar.com/images/May%25202019/Currier_Amhurst_detail.jpg&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj33sntwND_AhXpGTQIHcDYACMQ5hMIBQ&usg=AOvVaw18XKaKo8ua14XkQnhNztio

That is a shame :(

You know what, there will always be "another" guitar. Larrivee suits me perfectly. I appreciate they can bring me affordable luxury.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on June 20, 2023, 03:41:18 PMThat is a shame :(

You know what, there will always be "another" guitar. Larrivee suits me perfectly. I appreciate they can bring me affordable luxury.

Too true. Along with the fellow I mentioned, I wonder how many other of these unknown luthiers are hanging around almost every medium sized town in the land. Many of them are building great guitars and discovering that there's not much of a market for them. Unless collectors (or guys like me who are crazy and have way too many guitars) buy them everyone else seems to buy a Taylor. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 20, 2023, 06:49:52 PMI wonder how many other of these unknown luthiers are hanging around almost every medium sized town in the land.
Down here, we have Neil Peterson who has been building instruments from reclaimed wood for some time. Neil is based in Bandera, Texas, a few miles north of Lytle. I have played three of Neil's guitars over the last few years, at Guitar Tex. They are excellent instruments, mostly based around a dread-type style, and are expensive, but they sell. Neil's (family) business includes all kinds of woodworking, so Neil is not solely dependent on making instruments.
An older video about reclaiming a piano soundboard....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cub15Qnyo1Y
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 20, 2023, 06:49:52 PMToo true. Along with the fellow I mentioned, I wonder how many other of these unknown luthiers are hanging around almost every medium sized town in the land. Many of them are building great guitars and discovering that there's not much of a market for them. Unless collectors (or guys like me who are crazy and have way too many guitars) buy them everyone else seems to buy a Taylor. 
Too true. Almost everyone just goes for the Taylor, or Martin, or Gibson.  There are so many other great makers that never get looked at — Larrivee being one.  I have a friend that made guitars for a while.  He sold some but it's a very tough business to break into.

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 20, 2023, 06:49:52 PMToo true. Along with the fellow I mentioned, I wonder how many other of these unknown luthiers are hanging around almost every medium sized town in the land. Many of them are building great guitars and discovering that there's not much of a market for them. Unless collectors (or guys like me who are crazy and have way too many guitars) buy them everyone else seems to buy a Taylor. 
To see a rather long list of luthiers, many of whom perhaps you (certainly I) have never heard of...
Dream Guitars
Great shopping, particularly for "trust fund kids".  :bgrin:

Is that where Elon musk buys his guitars? Those prices are ridiculous! I'd rather have my 3 series L.  :guitar
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on June 21, 2023, 05:29:37 AMIs that where Elon musk buys his guitars? Those prices are ridiculous! I'd rather have my 3 series L.  :guitar
I bought a Larrivee SD50 from them about 10 years ago.
At a fair price.

I sold all my high end Larrivees except my '75 L-11 and two electrics, an LT-1 and an RS-4. I am very happy with my two humble and lovable 01 Larrivees and have to laugh that the Willie Watson OM-01's are now around $2200.00 USD. I paid $390.00 for mine in 2008 or 9.

$390 is a remarkable price!! I'd buy one of those at that price in a heartbeat!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on June 21, 2023, 03:06:21 PM$390 is a remarkable price!! I'd buy one of those at that price in a heartbeat!
I thought so at the time and now ... OMG! I was saying back then about 01's, if you see one buy one. My second L-01, people were asking questions about it and hemming and hawing. When I saw it for sale, the only question I asked was how much? $500.00 Canadian. Sold. Some people seem to want to spend more for a nice guitar. I've always wanted to spend less. LOL

Well you know what?

I'm on the list for a Halcyon. Waiting time is 2 years! I think it'll be special.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I've played Northwoods since John McQuarrie finally showed up at Wintergrass festival in Washington state. I am very impressed.

It is a 'custom' build but his prices are EXTREMELY reasonable for the quality he builds. Elegant and understated construction/design, fantastic playability, and gorgeous tone.

I am considering doing a build with him in the next few years. If you like the L-series, you will feel at home with Northwoods.

Also, very low-key and super nice guy. Lives up in mountainous eastern B.C.
-Gordon
1978 L-26 spruce/rosewood Florentine cutaway
1989 L-28 spruce/rosewood Florentine cutaway
2006 L-03 spruce/rosewood
2009 LV-03 spruce/rosewood Venetian cutaway

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. -Leonardo Da Vinci

I've had an eye on them but never had a chance to try and agree the pricing is more than reasonable. The bodies are pretty deep.. I was just mentioning in another thread that a wedge a la Manzer wouldn't go amiss on deep bodies
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Well, guitarman001, I don't think you will regret the wait for a Halcyon.  I think you know from other forums that I just got one that I've been waiting for for 3 years.  Thrilled with it as I play it more each day.  Ed's builds are very light and this new one for me just rings and the neck is so easy to work with.  In my case, this is a 000 12 fret and I'm really glad I signed up waaaay back in 2020.

Quote from: jazzereh on August 09, 2023, 09:08:38 PMWell, guitarman001, I don't think you will regret the wait for a Halcyon.  I think you know from other forums that I just got one that I've been waiting for for 3 years.  Thrilled with it as I play it more each day.  Ed's builds are very light and this new one for me just rings and the neck is so easy to work with.  In my case, this is a 000 12 fret and I'm really glad I signed up waaaay back in 2020.

Wow so 2.5 years?

Was yours the walnut with Lutz top?

I'm undecided re sapele / Honduran / ebony for the back and moon spruce / Lutz for the top. Hmmmmmm.

What is the voicing like? There are so few audio demos online to base a decision off.

When it came to decision time was it a quick phone call or more detailed?
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05