Rant on Martins

Started by unclrob, October 20, 2022, 12:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First time back in a while........yes I too have had separation issue on two of my Martins. My 2014 000-18 and my 000-17SM, very disappointed. The most disappointing thing for us Aussies, we are so far away from Martin. Thank God my Luthier did a great job, not 100% but a darn good job if I may say so.

Yeah very disappointing, I have not been on UMGF in a long while, I wonder if there is a post on this issue. Anybody know?

I took the Martin into Elderly Instruments repair shop in Lansing Michigan today for Martin in-warranty work. Three out of the four pieces of binding have separated from the body. The repairman is of the opinion (after seeing so many instances of this with Martins over the past 20 years) that they were using an inferior binding which shrinks and then pulls away from the wood.
My paperwork indicates that they are billing CFM $108 for the repair.

My Larrivee maple binding doesn't have this issue.  :thumbsup
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on January 16, 2023, 07:02:02 PM
My Larrivee maple binding doesn't have this issue.  :thumbsup
Interestingly, while there I stumbled upon a new Martin with maple binding. Only one I've ever seen.

hey, Rob,
:cheers

see my above post, maybe i'm gonna have that problem, the bindings look rather cheap...
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Saw it,hope it doesn't happen.

keep smilin and keep dancin  :nanadance :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I got rid of the Martin D 28th that I wanted for so long due to the binding issue
I had it fixed, and no sooner did that happen. When I got it back, the other side started to unbind.
So I sold it
I still like Martin's
But my love is doing really good right now