What Non-Larrivee Acoustic Is On Your *DREAM* List?

Started by Mikeymac, April 02, 2020, 10:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

This part of the Forum has been way too quiet for over half a month. In light of what's going on "out there" it's somewhat understandable. Still. Too. Quiet.

So...let's just have a little fun.  What non-Larrivee guitar is on your dream list (I'll start a thread in the Larrivee forum for the Larry you're dreaming about...)?

It could be within reach, just out of reach, or way-over-the-top-definitely-a-dream-guitar.

Or, let's do this: list one of each! Just for fun!

1) Within reach: a Martin 00-15

2) Just out of reach: a good Gibson J-45 to replace the one I sold a while back

3) W-O-T-T-D-A-D-G: a Pre*War D-28 style, Level 2 finish (Adirondack top/Brazilian Rosewood back & sides)

What's on your list?

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

A nice sunburst Gibson J-45 perhaps? Nothing I really need.   :beer

I'd go with duck but ad my old 94 vintage AJ.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Pretty happy with what I've got but I'd still like to have a Preston Thompson 12 fret dread or 00 some day.
Maybe a Froggy orchestra sized model.
Also, I'd like to have something with a redwood top and walnut back as that combo is highly regarded.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Been wanting another 12 fret, slot head for a while...

within reach - Eastman E-20-00 (heard some very good things about these)
a stretch - Larrivee SD60 (yeah I know, another Larrivee, what can I say?)
out of reach - Collings DS2h

BTW, don't know if this is cool for this question but...
Always wanted a well-preserved vintage "Country Gentleman" like Harrison played. Just sayin'
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

1) Within reach: Alvarez 8-string cutaway (but can't find one right now)

2) Just out of reach: a 10-course Baroque lute

3) W-O-T-T-D-A-D-G: an early Gibson Super 400 cutaway
Play it daily for best results.

I'd like to try a Viellette Gryphon high strung 12 string.  It's in reach, but I'd really rather try one before buying.

Ed

i would love to have one of grit laskin's ornate inlayed pieces and also most anything from mike greenfield in montreal. 
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

This dream is in motion from San Luis Obispo California to Cedar Point Carolina. Riding in a brown truck. A replacement for my steel model that burned up. It'll be a companion to my new Paul Beard spider bridge which is incredible. The National that's on her way I plan leaving mostly in standard tuning.  It's a little more of a player than most Nationals with a narrower nut (most National's are at least 1 13/16) A cutaway, and set up a little lower. Resonators are indeed dreamy!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs36YmioG78&fbclid=IwAR0f2DLZ-V6j85BbeIZDz5CEqgvII9JW9Ln06YxEPGyeMjUIkp1Os8K1iSg
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I'm revising my #2) "just out of reach" guitar...

Sometime in the next year I plan to order another Martin Custom Shop guitar, based on a Limited Edition they did, the D-21 Special. What makes it "Special" is it has a Rosewood fingerboard and bridge (versus the standard D-21 w/Ebony).

My custom will get the following mods:

Alpine Spruce top
*maybe* GE (Golden Era) braces (depending on price)
Mod V or Full neck profile
2 5/16" saddle spacing (versus standard 2 5/32")
*maybe* diamond inlays on the fretboard...
*maybe* gloss headstock/headplate

All the *maybes* above will depend on the price... That's pretty much it. I want a D-21 with a cannon top - so a no frills dread that has some power under the hood; a stock car that's all juice and no jewel...

I'll probaby place the order as soon as the COVID-19 work ban is lifted on Martin (hey, they're "essential" to us guitar players, right?!).

I'm constantly dreaming of guitars and a new one recently jumped to the top of the list.

I typically do not like painted acoustics, at all. Not even the tried and true sunburst. I love the uniqueness of natural wood grain.

Having said that, The Music Zoo has a custom Martin style 42 OOO painted in glossy navy blue, european flamed maple pickguard, etc.

It is beautiful. I now want to build a custom Larrivee w/similar cosmetics.

Another dream - Bedell. I played an incredible cutaway dread in Nashville w/a highly figured indian rosewood back. It played like an electric the action was so incredible.

To keep w/the format:

1. In reach - Yairi DY62C or a similar newer cutaway dread
2. Just out of reach - a custom Larrivee w/similar specs as above or the Bedell
3. Out of reach - a JOI custom built similar to his Slash guitar - The Tree back/sides and ancient sitka top.

On the other hand, I really like the guitar I found at the dump. I never dreamed that would happen.  :laughin:

Hi all, I'll play along, I had a 1996 Santa Cruz dreadnaught with 'hog. Back and sides; it was a beautiful guitar in all ways. I sold it at a nice profit,
Prior to appreciating what I had. 'Would love to have it back! :coffee :donut

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 16, 2020, 04:12:15 PM

I'm revising my #2) "just out of reach" guitar...

Sometime in the next year I plan to order another Martin Custom Shop guitar, based on a Limited Edition they did, the D-21 Special. What makes it "Special" is it has a Rosewood fingerboard and bridge (versus the standard D-21 w/Ebony).

Well, I contacted a Martin dealer last week and tried to work out the custom guitar above. Found out a number of things:

1) You can't base a custom on a discontinued model, only on current models;
2) You can't start with a style 18 (mahogany b&s) and change the body wood to rosewood;
3) You can't start with an OM body (in my case, the OM-21) and change the body to a different size (in this case dread or jumbo) - they used to do this all the time...

So, no custom order from me at this time...Martin lost a potential sale. Instead, I bought the used Larrivee L-09FM I posted about on the Larrivee Guitar page (and will have it converted to lefty).

I may still pursue the Pre*War idea down the road, but quite frankly, I'm leaning toward a(nother) Larrivee custom based on the JCL 40th Anniversary model...

1) Guild F series

2) 50's or early 60's Gibson J-45

3) Martin D-45 Ambertone with Adirondack over Brazilian
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 10, 2020, 02:11:24 PM

So, no custom order from me at this time...Martin lost a potential sale. Instead, I bought the used Larrivee L-09FM I posted about on the Larrivee Guitar page (and will have it converted to lefty).

Well, I'm so fickle... I may have found a way to get *most* of what I want in a Martin Jumbo from their custom shop for a decent price...just have to wait to hear back from the dealer if my idea is, um, 'sound'. Here's what it would look like:

Start with D-28 LEFT-HANDED:
Changes from stock...
*Jumbo body
*Alpine Spruce top
*Golden Era Sitka braces
*Full profile neck (w/ 1 3/4" nut)
*2 5/16" saddle spacing
*{Maybe snowflake fretboard markers}
*{Maybe a Sunburst top}

Pending...