Avalon Acoustic Guitars

Started by alvinlam, September 23, 2009, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not sure if this question has come up before but it's been overly discussed, I'd appreciate if some kind souls would direct me to the thread in this forum.  :smile:

Lately the name "Avalon" has come every now and then.  All I've known is that is an Irish company that once was associated/linked to George Lowden. 

My interests lies in the guitars produced by them.  It's not as popular as Larrivee or Morgan or common name that you can substitute here, but I'm sure somebody in this forum knows a thing or two about Avalon.  I would appreciate perhaps some info if you own/previously owned an Avalon to share about your impression about their make. 

What would you say is the area of difference between this Irish product/design and say, Larrivee?

Thanks for your sharing!  :wave
Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Yamaha LL-TA
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."

Quote from: alvinlam on September 23, 2009, 08:33:29 PM
Lately the name "Avalon" has come every now and then.  All I've known is that is an Irish company that once was associated/linked to George Lowden. 
What would you say is the area of difference between this Irish product/design and say, Larrivee?
Thanks for your sharing!  :wave

:+1: I've followed the Avalons with great interest - they're very popular in the praise and worship fraternity with players like Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall, Robin Mark and Lincoln Brewster using their guitars.
http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/Inventory/Guitars/Avalon.htm
I'm generally a fan of the Irish builders. George Lowden seems to be the mentor to Irish builders pretty much as Jean Larrivee is to Canadian builders. They seem to have the use of cedar combined with Walnut and Rosewood perfected into great warm guitars with loads of presence. Another Irish diamond is Dermot Mcilroy.
http://www.shorelinemusic.com/guitars/mcilroy.shtml
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I've owned two Avalons in the past couple of years. The first was a Czech Furch-made Avalon A201c that didn't live up to my memories of a couple of Irish Avalons I'd played. Sold it. Then I scored an Irish (actually Northern Irish) A201 on Craigslist for a very nice price; a cedar/rosewood grand auditorium. This is one of the Gold mid-series Avalons (available now only as special orders). Much closer to what I remembered an Avalon to be. It's apples/oranges re. Larrivee, IMHO. My OM01 is louder and more potent and does everything well, even heavy strumming. The Avalon is a prettier sounding, warmer, more introspective guitar; best for fingerstyle and DADGAD etc. The OM01 is my #1, but I enjoy having the Avalon too.

Of course, now Avalon focuses on high-end models, which are much beloved by their owners. I've never played one, but would like to see what they're like. If you're looking for a great deal, lay for a used Irish Gold (I can't recommend the Czech Avalons). To find out more, check out the Avalon website and forum... http://www.avalonguitars.co.uk/
Larrivée OM-01
Avalon A201
Silver Creek T-160
LAG T66D
Douglas WF165

Thanks for your input, fellas! Appreciate the help. I found an S200 (spruce top/rosewood) on EBay at a good price. After corresponding with Avalon, I was pleased to know the item was actually made in Ireland.  Also going through the links that you all suggested helped sealed the decision. Had enough time to place a bid and got it. Will feedback on how i find this item later on.   :donut :donut2 :coffee
Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Yamaha LL-TA
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."

Quote from: alvinlam on September 25, 2009, 07:18:06 PM
Thanks for your input, fellas! Appreciate the help. I found an S200 (spruce top/rosewood) on EBay at a good price. After corresponding with Avalon, I was pleased to know the item was actually made in Ireland.  Also going through the links that you all suggested helped sealed the decision. Had enough time to place a bid and got it. Will feedback on how i find this item later on.   :donut :donut2 :coffee
:+1: Congratulations Alvin - I trust you'll give us a complete review in due time! (and of course photos)
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Avalon now only produces the "high end" guitars, named Legacy and Premier Series. They are basically Lowden designs with slightly different bracing which tends to be a little stiffer but will not overdrive the soundboard when strummed heavily, a different neck and bridge pin. Outstanding guitars. All three well known Irish guitar makers (Avalon, Lowden, McIlroy) have about the same level of quality. It depends on your taste as they all have their distinct sound - which still is the Lowden sound as a basis. I am happy that one has a choice of Irish guitars now, although George Lowden surely still is the big name in the game...
Avalon L25
Guild M-20
Larrivee L09E
Larrivee L-03
Larrivee D-03RE
Martin D-18
Martin OOO-15
Martin D-15S
Yairi G1F
Epiphone 1964 Texan (Paul McCartney)

I owned an avalon D200ce and it was a great guitar made out of Ireland that came with a Hiscox flight case. I wish I'd never sold it, but at the same time the cut away on it was pretty steep.  Great guitars!!! Hands down, superb quality.  You can't go wrong. 

Mix.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Hi Everyone. I have two of Avalon Pioneer L2-20C 2022 Natural available for sale. I love to have more inventory of Avalon guitars but I find it hard to get people attention to the brand.
You can find the two guitars on reverb. Link to my page https://reverb.com/shop/sweet-melody-gs
appreciate everyone support and stop by to take a look at my page. Thank you

Quote from: dungho on January 27, 2023, 04:45:11 PM
Hi Everyone. I have two of Avalon Pioneer L2-20C 2022 Natural available for sale. I love to have more inventory of Avalon guitars but I find it hard to get people attention to the brand.
You can find the two guitars on reverb. Link to my page https://reverb.com/shop/sweet-melody-gs
appreciate everyone support and stop by to take a look at my page. Thank you

If you're selling, there's a section for that.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

I'm a longtime fan of the Irish group, the Corrs.  Jim Corr often plays an Avalon acoustic. Beautiful guitars. 

I've owned two Avalon guitars - both made in N. Ireland . . . All I can say is that I did not appreciate the level of guitar I had. The first one was a mini-jumbo with Sitka over Rosewood and the second was a GA size with Cedar over Mahogany. Why did I let them go? Lack of patience. In both cases, I was not willing to let the guitar find me and bond with me. Those two are the ones I regret letting go of . . . If you get the chance to own one . . . jump at it.
2023 Larrivee D03 - MH
2001 Larrivee L05
2000 Taylor 510
1995 James Goodall KGC