Under saddle pickup has slight buzz...

Started by beebee17522, February 21, 2009, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:nana_guitar
I recently installed an under saddle piezo pickup in my Fender Avalon acoustic. I've noticed a slight buzz comming out of the amp when I plug it in. When I touch the endpin/jack the buzz goes away. Any suggestions? Is the problem in the pickup/ jack or the preamp?
Thanks,
Marty

Bee--

Personally, I am not qualified to advise you concerning your pickup buzz, but I'm sure there are others here who have good ideas to pass along.  Welcome to the forum.  I've heard rumours that should you, a newbie, be kind enough to offer donuts, forum members will be more inclined to respond to your question.  You might want to read the forum rules.

DAVE 
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: beebee17522 on February 21, 2009, 02:57:52 PM
:nana_guitar
I recently installed an under saddle piezo pickup in my Fender Avalon acoustic. I've noticed a slight buzz comming out of the amp when I plug it in. When I touch the endpin/jack the buzz goes away. Any suggestions? Is the problem in the pickup/ jack or the preamp?
Thanks,
Marty

This sounds like a bad ground somewhere. When you touch it, you become part of the ground. Something isn't wired right or there is a loose/bad connection.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Yup, as the previous posts have stated. Grab a donut  :donut and hook a ground wire to it :arrow Then it will be fine to hang your Fender on the wall. Meanwhile you go down to your friendly Guitar store and buy a nice Larrivee (with a factory installed pickup). Then bring it home and plug it into the same amp. Now this is important.
       Should the new Larrivee buzz also, take the ground wire off the donut that is hanging on the Fender Acoustic on the wall and enjoy it.
        Then take the ground wire and attach it to a metal part of the amp (under a screw is a good spot) take the other end and place it under the screw that holds the outlet plug cover on. That screw is "grounded" if a real electrician wired the outlet up. If the buzz is gone now, all you have is a bad grounding power cord on your amp.
         But look at it this way. You got to enjoy a :donut  and you now are the proud owner of a Larrivee guitar. Or I guess you could skip the donut and Larrivee part and just try the other deal.  Either way, have a  :donut.
                                       And welcome to the forum,  Danny

:welcome: to the Forum Marty, if your still around after Danny got through with you.   :laughin:

It's a bad ground.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 24, 2009, 10:08:36 AM
:welcome: to the Forum Marty, if your still around after Danny got through with you.   :laughin:

It's a bad ground.
Heh, I was just "funnin"