Any info on the quil

Started by Myopic Squirrel, April 04, 2024, 03:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awaiting delivery on a 2015 P-03 quilted maple guitar. Found a listing that said "The Larrivee P-03 Custom Quilted Maple is a limited run guitar". Would greatly appreciate any details (other than it's quilted maple and from a limited run  :humour: ). Thank you in advance!

Larrivee has made quite a few limited runs when certain types of wood have become available. I'm not sure that there's anything special to say other than they had enough smaller curly maple boards to do a run. FWIW, Larrivee does great work with maple and picks some of the nicest maple boards. Curly maple isn't very reflective so you get a tone that gives you all the clarity and response of the soundboard without much coloring or clouding it.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Bowie, thank you. I know nothing about maple and figured since prior guitars have been EIR and mahogany, interested in trying maple. Found a listing for same era guitar on Eddie's Guitars, with all the specs (BTW it's quilted maple P-03QM). Really helpful to hear your description of how it sounds.

Reading up on maple one constant keeps re-appearing - the importance of the builder. And based on my OM, with JCL selecting the woods and doing the building, I can't wait!

I don't have much to offer, but I recall a few years ago a memorable post from a builder on AGF where he showed a few guitars of various woods along with their sound samples. One of the guitars had maple back and sides, the others the usual rosewood and mahogany. I still have a bad memory of a Taylor maple b/s I picked up and played which left my hands seconds later due to an almost shrill empty brightness. I've had a bias against maple ever since.

Matching the sound files that the builder offered was interesting and I did no better than anyone else but to my shock and surprise my favorite tone of the 4 was, you guessed it, the maple back and side version. Learned a valuable lesson here. Best of luck with your new Parlor!  :beer
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

You will enjoy this guitar a lot.

I have a Larrivee Special Edition P03 parlor with a spruce top and flamed maple back and sides. It was one of 100 made and mine is now 20 years old. It is a great guitar for fingerstyle blues and finger picking. Mine does not have an end pin, fret markers or pick guard and I paid $70 for a Larrivee hard shell case. I kept the gig bag for another 0 sized guitar I own.

The one that got away. I had the opportunity to play a 12 string L09 with a quilted maple back and sides but I had just bought an all mahogany custom LV03 so I passed on it.

Some pics from GC:

https://imgur.com/a/682f04k

Hope it sounds as good as it seems to appear! :nana_guitar

Can you confirm if that's quilted maple?

From the photo, it looks more like a version of flamed maple to my eye. I've played both flamed and quilted maple but never at the same time. I'll rely on some of the more seasoned forum members to weigh in with their observations.

Quote from: teh on April 06, 2024, 09:14:03 PMCan you confirm if that's quilted maple?

From the photo, it looks more like a version of flamed maple to my eye. I've played both flamed and quilted maple but never at the same time. I'll rely on some of the more seasoned forum members to weigh in with their observations.
Pretty much the same thing. Both are technically heavy runout. It can sometimes behave differently than straight grain. But, it can also be just as stiff because of the circumstances that created the distortion. An example of incredibly resonant quilted wood would be the famous "The Tree" mahogany. With maple, it's not highly resonant so it doesn't matter so much. It won't change what maple does best (which is to not color the tone).
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

For what it's worth, here's a pic of my quilted mahogany back and sides OO's. Quite different than flamed . . .
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Was the above blind test the Kinnaird one? Typically have preferred hog for its woody warmth but would not say no to trying one of those Romanian flame maple specimens
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

teh - I'm learning more about maple, but maybe jumped the gun announcing what I just bought is quilted. In looking up maple P-03's came across this  https://eddiesguitars.com/product/acoustic/acoustic-guitar-brands/larrivee/larrivee-p-03-custom-quilted-maple-125995/  and since the vintages seemed close guessed mine was the same.

Glad you asked the Q - have looked up flamed and concluded that's what mine is. Now learning about quilted v flamed (I'm easily entertained) which has been interesting. Guitar scheduled to arrive tomorrow at GC so I'll post pics the next couple of days.

Quote from: guitarman001 on April 07, 2024, 12:18:14 PMWas the above blind test the Kinnaird one? Typically have preferred hog for its woody warmth but would not say no to trying one of those Romanian flame maple specimens

If referring to my post, I did a quick AGF search on "Kinnard" and didn't find anything like the post I recalled. . .

No worries!
It's a good 'un...
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05