RS-4 Strings?

Started by t92024, May 15, 2013, 10:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: unclrob on May 18, 2013, 09:17:27 AM
Pretty much,I place my hand in the hot wax up to my wrist set the timer for 10 min. then switch hands.

Wow, I've never heard of this before,
I'm hoping/assuming this works, and keeps your fingers limber enough for the day to play and work?
where does this method come from? ancient Chinese or modern alternate common sense?
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on May 19, 2013, 07:51:35 AM

Wow, I've never heard of this before,
I'm hoping/assuming this works, and keeps your fingers limber enough for the day to play and work?
where does this method come from? ancient Chinese or modern alternate common sense?

No big hidden secret,know how we run our hands under hot water sometime's before we play,well one of my friends is a P.T. and he said I should try hot wax.Well my wife has a wax machine and really soft hands so I used hers and wonders of all wonders it worked great.He also informed me not to let my hand sit in the hot wax for no longer then 10 minutes as after that you can cause damage.What damage I don't remember but he really pushed the "NO FRIGGIN LONGER THEN 10 MINUTES,NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT FEELS".So try it,it might help.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Did I miss it - do any of you use different gauge strings on your RS4's depending on the kind of pickups you are using?

Quote from: ST on May 19, 2013, 01:21:33 PM
Did I miss it - do any of you use different gauge strings on your RS4's depending on the kind of pickups you are using?

ooops, sorry. I use 12's on the RS4 with the P90 bigsby, and 10's or 11's on the other RS4's.
Certainly on the older short scale RS4's 11's, the newer ML Humbucker RS4 10'sl.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I'm with Ducktrapper on this.

Long story short, I'm the guy that started the thread "RS-4 Dotnecks?" & ended up bagging a drop dead gorgeous/incredible playing Australian lacewood RS-4 dotneck.

As mentioned early in the thread, I managed to keep an early model ('09-'10) RS-4 for a month, so I got to know the model well & had discovered then the best strings for it.

Honestly, I don't know what it had on it when it 1st came to me, I do remember starting it out with D'Add XL 110's.  LOVED IT.  And here's the deal with me; I'm a Fender guy with a wimpy touch, .009's all the way.  But what I noticed (& was blown away by) is somehow the Larrivee's have managed to get a pitched neck with a 25.5" scale play like a gtr. with .009's.  Now yes, it's barely noticeably firmer, but not to the point that I'd go down to 009's, matter of fact I not only can I do anything I want as the Fender, I actually play more precise & always hit my marks with the RS-4.  That RS-4 is one incredibly WELL BALANCED gtr.

Now, the part I want you to hear is I tried 3 different sets on it;  D'Add pure nickel, Elixr & Cleartone.  Cutting to the chase, there are those that believe most strings are made by one manufacturer.  But I'm here to tell you that there is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE in the string core.  Thing is the Cleartones to me were very stiff though they were same gauges as the 110's.  Didn't really pull the neck, but yeah, STIFF.  Elixr's & D'Add nickels weren't as bad, but the magic was gone.  Put the XL 110's back on, my baby's back.   :laughin:

When my dotneck RS-4 arrived, I saw the multi-color ball ends, hit a lick on it & said to myself; they finally figured out the best strings for this gtr.

Now if the gtr. is adjusted for heavier strings, more than likely it will play as well as a gtr. set up for 10's or 9's, but IMHO for all purpose, the D'Add XL 110's are hands down the BEST strings for the RS-4.  Anyway, I stocked up.   :bgrin:

Now sure, different gauges for different needs, but for the new RS-4's, XL 110's are the right call.

My 2.5 cents.