removeable or installed pick up for larrivee D40

Started by Thekitchenguy, August 24, 2023, 11:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Group,
  bought a D40 two weeks ago, played thru PA.  think I need a pick up...

Quote from: Thekitchenguy on August 24, 2023, 11:57:42 AMHello Group,
  bought a D40 two weeks ago, played thru PA.  think I need a pick up...

There are a lot to choose from. Installed? K&K passive pups work well and are not expensive. I have a Fishman Infinity Matrix in my D-35 and love it especially the in sound hole controls. For one you can easily put in and remove, Fishman make a couple of relatively inexpensive models. I have a Neo humbucker that I've had pretty good success with. You might want to look at a DI to go with them. I use a Sansamp Para Driver. Good kit. 

The IBeam from Baggs is the easiest to install and remove and sounds the best to me.

keep smilin and keep dancin  :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

"Which pickup" is almost the same as "which strings" or "which flavor ice cream".  LOL  Ya like what ya like and make it work.

For me, I won't install anything other than K&K. And while I won't take out a working pickup, I despise anything that puts a battery inside the guitar or that needs a hole cut in the side.  As for the battery inside the guitar, see one guitar that the battery got loose during transport and you'll understand.

Ed

Quote from: eded on August 24, 2023, 02:56:57 PM"Which pickup" is almost the same as "which strings" or "which flavor ice cream".  LOL  Ya like what ya like and make it work.

For me, I won't install anything other than K&K. And while I won't take out a working pickup, I despise anything that puts a battery inside the guitar or that needs a hole cut in the side.  As for the battery inside the guitar, see one guitar that the battery got loose during transport and you'll understand.

Ed

The K&K is great. I do find they work best with a good DI, however. I agree on the barn door type pickups. I also wonder how many batteries have leaked acid into the body of a guitar because someone neglected to change it or just forgot it was there.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 24, 2023, 03:08:22 PMThe K&K is great. I do find they work best with a good DI, however. I agree on the barn door type pickups. I also wonder how many batteries have leaked acid into the body of a guitar because someone neglected to change it or just forgot it was there.

Yeah...  some sort of preamp is helpful for the K&K.  If I'm playing solo guitar and voice I use an (I guess it's old these days) Ultrasound AG-50 and it's a great impedance match and a pre/di can give handy access to eq and volume, but it sounds great direct.  Going into many "designed for acoustics guitar" amps, it sounds great but going into a mixer or regular guitar amp a preamp or di is necessary to match inputs and outputs.

ed

:cop: I don't like stupid glue for anything involving a guitar!!! :mad:

That sad Eded is right.

As for battery's inside of the guitar in all my years of working on guitars abd the battery pac mounted on the inside of the back with velcro next to the lable on the high"E" side I've had no issue in almost 25 years.

keep smilin and keep dancin  :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

FWIW,
If you chose a K&K with no preamp, wire it to a stereo endpin jack  I have the IBeam, it comes with the endpin jack which is stereo capable. With the IBeam I and wired a condenser Crown GLM-200 mic to the ring. I use older stereo guitar preamps: a Fishman Blender, Rane AP-13, and a K&K 2 channel trinity. They all supply the required phantom power and you get a nice blended sound ( they all have separate EQ, gain and routing options. They come up fairly reasonable used. Older analog technology, but it works for me.
  Hope this helps
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster