Best 3 acoustic amps

Started by placoustic11, March 03, 2013, 01:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It depends on what you will be using it for and what you will be plugging into it.

For me, an Ultrasound AG50 is plenty.  That is for solo acoustic guitar and voice.  I think they are under your budget.

Ed

Quote from: CJ on March 27, 2013, 06:11:30 PM
Surprisingly, it sounds pretty good in my 'man cave' and instead of selling all that for a newer / system, I'm just going to pop for a used DBX 223 or similar crossover with the hope that splitting the output from the Alesis Multimix at about 120hz, will give a nice stereo sound with no overlap.

Followup: picked up that DBX 223 on eBay and spent an afternoon tinkering with it in the setup shown on the 1st page ... wound up setting the crossover frequency to about 240hz and the system sounds nice using the Carvin Stagemate main as the subwoofer and the Carvin PM5B satellites as the mains. Chorus, echo FX, etc., sound great in stereo.

And here I was thinking about selling my mono Stagemate PA to buy a new stereo PA ... when all I had to do was swap my stereo monitors and mono main around to have the small stereo system I wanted.

I'm using a Marshall AS100d. Four channel inputs (1/4", 1/4" or XLR, 1 XLR only, 1 RCA), sweepable mid and two notch filters on first two channels, gain for low or high impedence pick-up. 1wt two channels can be ganged for stereo input. Reasonable built-in fx (9 reverbs, chorus, delay)  shared and controllable between channels., direct outs, FX loop, 100w.(2 x 50w).  A bit heavy (45+ lb) but nice clean tone with lots of variation. $500 street price.
1978 L-19
2012 SD-60
2012 LV-72E Presentation
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2006 D'Aquisto New Yorker
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1964 Gibson ES-330
1998 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion
1997 Fender Custom Shop Strat

Landed a great deal from a pawn shop through ebay for a genz benz compak  300 w/10" speaker. Lightweight and sounds great. Has a jack for external speaker for 300 watts.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on June 07, 2013, 11:35:38 PM
... genz benz compak  300 w/10" speaker. Lightweight and sounds great.

That's what I have...like it a lot. I've considered getting a second speaker but that makes the rig "less compak" so I've resisted the temptation so far.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on June 08, 2013, 06:39:23 AM
That's what I have...like it a lot. I've considered getting a second speaker but that makes the rig "less compak" so I've resisted the temptation so far.

They're a little pricey too. I like mine a lot, the sound quality is great, but I'll likely not use all the bells and whistles. I plug into my homemade speaker tower. It's all I'll ever need. Thanks to Roger for the intro to GB compak 300.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Bose L1 Compact hands down
Bobby Cameron

Bose L1-Compact
2000 D-04  6 String   Fishman Plus
2004 L-05 12 String   Fishman Infinity
2005 D-05  6 String   L.R Baggs M1 Active

www.facebook.com/AcoustiCameron
Twitter:          @camerob
YouTube:        Bhoybobby

Quote from: SteveD216 on November 19, 2013, 05:38:37 PM
I like the Schertler JAM150

I have one of those, actually it's a SR Tech Jam150 Plus.  Identical in every way except the nameplate (SR Technologies have been making Schertler amps for years and the companies recently merged).

It's a fine small amp.