I watched this video 3-4 times then I saw the guitar

Started by Agasco, February 12, 2010, 07:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: GA-ME on February 17, 2010, 02:57:01 PM
I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I believe "have underwent", as utilized in my original sentence, is a grammatically correct present perfect tense. It is my understanding that one can use the present perfect tense to describe one's experience.   For instance, I think it would be correct to say: I have underwent multiple x-rays in my life. Any forum grammarians have a definitive answer? If it is incorrect, I'd certainly like to know why so I have a better understanding.

Edit* I think I found the answer myself. Underwent is the simple past and undergone is the past participle so undergone is needed to form a proper present perfect.

"have undergone".....now, crawl back under Daniel Webster's workbench.....

Quote from: Walkerman on February 18, 2010, 08:27:28 AM
"have undergone".....now, crawl back under Daniel Webster's workbench.....

An intelligent person views a valid correction of an error as an opportunity to learn, rather than an attack, irrespective of what the motivation may have been for the initial correction. An error isn't shameful, something you certainly should realize, given your intimacy with shamefulness.

Quote from: GA-ME on February 18, 2010, 08:45:41 AM
An intelligent person views a valid correction of an error as an opportunity to learn, rather than an attack, irrespective of what the motivation may have been for the initial correction. An error isn't shameful

:thumb
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: GA-ME on February 18, 2010, 08:45:41 AM
An intelligent person views a valid correction of an error as an opportunity to learn, rather than an attack, irrespective of what the motivation may have been for the initial correction. An error isn't shameful, something you certainly should realize, given your intimacy with shamefulness.

OTOH, making an error whilst opining about other's lack of intellectual abilities is hypocritical, to say the least....and downright laughable.
Where I come from, we say "what goes around, comes around."  After perusing this thread, it appears that your lofty opinion of your intellect is quite unwarranted.  How's the neck reset going?
Now, go crawl back under Miss Manners writing desk.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 18, 2010, 09:06:53 AM
After perusing this thread, it appears that your opinion of your intellect is not shared by many...if anyone at all.

Internal locus of control.................

Your getting close to agreement and hug. I can feel it coming. Don't give up!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on February 18, 2010, 09:43:46 AM

I'm certain if a meeting in person over a few pops would take place it would end this craziness
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 18, 2010, 09:48:23 AM
I'm certain if a meeting in person over a few pops would take place it would end this craziness

Aw, I'm just funnin' with him.  He takes this so seriously.  But then, never being wrong is serious business  :winkin:

Quote from: flatlander on February 18, 2010, 09:43:46 AM
:thumbsup
Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 18, 2010, 09:48:23 AM
Well one lives a stones throw from the Atlantic and the other even closer to the Pacific. But having met them both I have to agree that in person they would get along like peas and carrots. :winkin:

Quote from: Walkerman on February 18, 2010, 09:50:28 AM
  But then, never being wrong is serious business   :winkin:

Au contraire , I was wrong in this very thread, was called on it, and figured out the where and the why of the error. There is NO problem there at all for me. In fact, I quite appreciate the error being pointed out. It is highly unlikely that I will screw up the conjugation of that particular verb at any time in the near or distant future. It doesn't matter to me that the error was pointed out in a pejorative manner. What matters to me is I learned something about an area I need to pay attention to when writing.

Have a nice day Walkerman. Hey Dan, do I get to be the carrot or the peas?

Quote from: GA-ME on February 18, 2010, 11:07:37 AM
Au contraire , I was wrong in this very thread, was called on it, and figured out the where and the why of the error. There is NO problem there at all for me. In fact, I quite appreciate the error being pointed out. It is highly unlikely that I will screw up the conjugation of that particular verb at any time in the near or distant future. It doesn't matter to me that the error was pointed out in a pejorative manner. What matters to me is I learned something about an area I need to pay attention to when writing.

You know when y'all and others of a high education level are civil and use a lot of words I don't see that often it helps me to broaden my vocabulary. Like "pejorative" which is another way of saying derogatory. But I don't see it used that often. I keep dictionaries next to me and on the other desks I use in the house. I like to learn new word usage if I have the time.

As far as peas and carrots. Well peas are a "peaceful" veg. ie. Whirled peas or World peace. And I guess carrots are of a "caring" nature. So I'll let you decide who is the peace maker and who is the caring one.

Quote from: dependan on February 18, 2010, 12:02:41 PM
   You know when y'all and others of a high education level are civil and use a lot of words I don't see that often it helps me to broaden my vocabulary. Like "pejorative" which is another way of saying derogatory. But I don't see it used that often. I keep dictionaries next to me and on the other desks I use in the house. I like to learn new word usage if I have the time.

As far as peas and carrots. Well peas are a "peaceful" veg. ie. Whirled peas or World peace. And I guess carrots are of a "caring" nature. So I'll let you decide who is the peace maker and who is the caring one.

Hey Dan, just for the record, I've never asserted that I was a highly educated person, at least in the sense of "formal education." I will be completing my bachelors degree in May, at the ripe old age of 41. That is, if I manage to be disciplined enough to study sufficiently for success in Spanish II. I never had the opportunity to pursue higher education as a younger man and instead went directly to work  in the trades upon completion of high school in 1986. It has only been in the last three years that I've been afforded the opportunity for a university level education.  I took that opportunity, because my injury precludes me from making a living in the trades any longer, and living on disability is antithetical to my world view. After completion of my bachelors, I intend to begin a masters program in social work in August of this year. Perhaps, after the completion of the MSW, I'll be able to consider myself an educated individual in the formal sense of that designation. However, I'd like to assert that though there is a strong correlation between IQ and educational attainment, by no means are all formally educated people also extremely gifted intellectually , nor are all individuals of lower educational attainment necessarily of lower IQ.

In regards to the carrots and peas issue, I'd prefer to be the peas if that is quite alright with Walkerman.

Quote from: GA-ME on February 18, 2010, 12:57:07 PM
I'd like to assert that though there is a strong correlation between IQ and educational attainment, by no means are all formally educated people also extremely gifted intellectually , nor are all individuals of lower educational attainment necessarily of lower IQ.

Speaking personally have a couple degrees and a Professional Designation in a specialized field and couldn't agree more; with one's education having no relation to one's intelligence in many cases. A lot of very intelligent people who opted out of the formal education route for various reasons. As stated before, my mother who doesn't have near the formal education that I have is continually correcting my english as her command of it like yours and a few others around here is extraordinary. Thus is very intelligent in the literary sense. I have another friend who is very intelligent in a practical sense a MacIVOR type of dude make something efficient and effective out of nothing. Many different types of intelligence out there I guess is my point. Gotta say enjoy your posts I don't always agree with em BUT my dictionary certainly gets a workout in most of them.

Quote from: GA-ME on February 18, 2010, 11:07:37 AM

Maybe if we were both carrots, there would finally be "peas" between us   :laughin:

Well, I must say, at least we've elevated this thread beyond discussing among (amongst? got to be careful now!) ourselves Miss Ferrell's level of "talent" - and are instead trying to broaden our command of the English language!

Kudos guys; I didn't think we had it in us!  :roll
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: dependan on February 18, 2010, 10:16:31 AM
I have to agree that in person they would get along like peas and carrots. :winkin:
No sorry Dan, but that is incorrect use of the southern language. :humour: But seriously they get along like beans and corn bread, perhaps even making up in the end as in that cool Louis Jordan tune.  Yep They definately  get along like Beans and corn bread.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV7_2oy8LMY
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

"Beans and Cornbread"                 Now there is a cool video :+1:     

I happened to have polenta and homemade chili tonight. Polenta is Italian cornbread. We fry it like Johnnie cake.

GA-ME, as a college professor I think it's great that you're completing your degree at 41. I'm thinking of going back for a Ph.D. and I'll likely be past 60 by the time I get it. My wife took more than 20 years to complete her education (including a nursing degree, bachelor's, master's and post-master;s
All that said, I once started a wonderful thread about grammar, specifically the misuse of the apostrophe. The length of the thread and the many comments in agreement made me feel that people other than grammar geeks like me actually cared about the language. But every thread I've read since convinces me otherwise. Whaddya gonna do? And I'm sure many who use the apostrophe to pluralize (Larrivee's, guitar's) rather than indicate possession (except in contractions, like "it's", which means "it is", not "belonging to it).
Of course, the equalizer is that I'm likely among the worst players on this forum.
Still love everyone here and I'll just force myself to pay more attention to the content than the presentation.
Oh, and Daniel Webster was a 19th century New England statesman, famous for defending Jabez Stone in the Faustian American drama "The Devil and Daniel Webster." Noah Webster was the lexicographer who helped standardize American English through his iconic dictionary.

Quote from: leftync on February 19, 2010, 11:34:50 AM
GA-ME, as a college professor I think it's great that you're completing your degree at 41. I'm thinking of going back for a Ph.D. and I'll likely be past 60 by the time I get it. My wife took more than 20 years to complete her education (including a nursing degree, bachelor's, master's and post-master;s
All that said, I once started a wonderful thread about grammar, specifically the misuse of the apostrophe. The length of the thread and the many comments in agreement made me feel that people other than grammar geeks like me actually cared about the language. But every thread I've read since convinces me otherwise. Whaddya gonna do? And I'm sure many who use the apostrophe to pluralize (Larrivee's, guitar's) rather than indicate possession (except in contractions, like "it's", which means "it is", not "belonging to it).
Of course, the equalizer is that I'm likely among the worst players on this forum.
Still love everyone here and I'll just force myself to pay more attention to the content than the presentation.
Oh, and Daniel Webster was a 19th century New England statesman, famous for defending Jabez Stone in the Faustian American drama "The Devil and Daniel Webster." Noah Webster was the lexicographer who helped standardize American English through his iconic dictionary.
40 years ago in High school I could not stand grammar lessons. Though I loved to read. (I realize that was probably one sentence and not two and 40 should have been spelled out)
               Anyway I would like to learn more now so you can feel free to give me some tips on the proper threads or correct some of my habitual blunders. I would appreciate it myself.

Quote from: leftync on February 19, 2010, 11:34:50 AM

Lefty, the opportunity to pursue an education has been a real blessing. After incurring a spinal cord injury, I worried constantly about how I would support myself. I realized very quickly that there was almost zero chance of enough recovery occurring to allow me to return to work in the trades.  When the funding for my education was made available, I knew I could again exercise control over my situation and improve my life to include opportunities that were not available  before the injury incurred. I have funding in place for my graduate education, as well, so things are pretty sunny on that front. My fiancee also returned to school and completed her Doctorate in Physical Therapy directly as a result of my injury. I usually get at least one wry smile and short chuckle each day recognizing the irony of so much opportunity arising as a result of  pretty much the worst day of my life. Opportunity sometimes comes dressed in strange garb.