Why did LS's not sell well enough for Larrivee to continue producing them?

Started by Broadus, January 16, 2009, 08:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obviously, at least it's obvious to me  :smile:, had the LS's sold well, Larrivee would still be making them. I've paid attention to Larrivees for only a few months, so there's a lot I don't know about the models and their histories. Did folks prefer OM's to LS's? Was it too much of a compromise between an OM and an L (smaller like an OM but designed as an L), so people who liked the smaller size gravitated toward OM's and those who like the L style went with the L?

I've never played one, but looking at the specs, I wonder if they would make a good-around guitar, leaning to fingerstyle over strumming. Then again, the OM seems to be there too.

:donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :coffee

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

The european market usually likes smaller body guitars. Maybe they would be more successful over there. I have never played one either, never seen one in a shop. I think they are the nicest looking guitars in the Larrivee line-up.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Here's a brand new one at Guitar Adoptions labeled "JUST ARRIVED-- EXTREMELY RARE"!

Maybe this would fit the bill for someone that didn't order because they wanted gloss and bling.

:coffee  :donut2  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 16, 2009, 08:43:15 AM
Here's a brand new one at Guitar Adoptions labeled "JUST ARRIVED-- EXTREMELY RARE"!

Maybe this would fit the bill for someone that didn't order because they wanted gloss and bling.

:coffee  :donut2  :donut

The specs show 25.5. I thought the LS was a shorter scale guitar.
L-03 Italian Spruce

I think LS's were regular scale. The LSV-11's are short scale.

Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: Broadus on January 16, 2009, 08:51:29 AM
I think LS's were regular scale. The LSV-11's are short scale.

Bill

Really? the short scale was preventing me from getting one. This is good news. I'll probably grab a used one then eventually.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Yeah, and the Forum III will have the 25.5" scale and a 12 fret neck.  The neck will be a tad shorter but the bridge will be placed closer to the middle of the lower bout which is so sweet!!!  I can't wait!

Check this out.

So how did the LS's sound compared with the OM's? Was there too much overlap and people wanted OM's instead?

Bill

Here's what I'd like in an LS:

Satin Finish
14 Fretter
Rosewood (Honduran or Mad)
Italian Spruce

Yum :drool:

What are the chances of that showing up used -- not good.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Wish Larrivee made those.

Bill

Quote from: Broadus on January 16, 2009, 09:17:01 AM
Wish Larrivee made those.

Bill

I think I recall seeing one or two LS-03's a few years ago.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Randy--any ideas why the LS's didn't have enough appeal for Larrivee to keep making them?

Bill

Quote from: Broadus on January 16, 2009, 09:36:15 AM
Randy--any ideas why the LS's didn't have enough appeal for Larrivee to keep making them?

Bill

I'll guess that they were too close to the OM size.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Randy_R on January 16, 2009, 09:54:11 AM
I'll guess that they were too close to the OM size.

You'd think they would have an appeal in the way of the Lowden S models, though the Lowden is a bit smaller. Same kind of guitar to me.
L-03 Italian Spruce

I believe that guitar players are a pretty conservative bunch (for the most part). Strats and Les paul shaped guitars dominate electric sales and dreadnaught guitars dominate acoustic. The vast majority of beginner guitars will be those shapes and beginner guitars dominate guitar sales. And most guitar players (or aspiring players) aspire to guitars they are familiar with.

The OM body also has a long history and I think those are the size and shape players gravitate towards after they leave the dreads. The LS is shaped like a classical guitar...which also has a long history but has a distinctly different vibe than guitars associated with popular musics (rock/folk/blues/etc). And those musics are rooted in guitar sounds...especially steel string guitars.

Classical guitars have been associated with classical and other "serious" music and been neglected in many forms of pop music (with the exception of some jazz and brazillian sounds). So that body shape is kind of foreign to most music fans.

I see the LS as a kind of hybrid...a steel stringed classical guitar.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I would think the 4" depth on a 14 fret would make it a specific need type of fit in the line up, more in line with a 12 fret 00. A thin line full scale seems a bit odd to me, then again I like dreads. Just my .02
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I'm just guessing, but one of the problems I find with the LS models is that they do not have consistent specs. If you look around, they are either 12 or 14 fret, short or long scale, and the body size ranges from just under 15" to as much as 15-1/2, and depth from just under 4 to over 4-1/4.  They are either steel string or nylon. The Forum guitars will be the first LS-03s I've seen, but looking at the various used I've found around, it just seems a badly defined style.

If you are looking for a 14 fret LS, that is not a problem - the LSV-11 is available in short scale, as well as a LSV-05 and a LS-05 in standard scale. There is a 12 fret standard scale LS-09 available, and the new 14 fret LS-10 that was noted. There was recently a LS-30 classical posted available ( don't remember the frets on it).

When you look at used OMs, Ls, Ds, 00s, etc., all you really want to confirm is neck width, since the rest of it has stayed pretty consistent over the years ( there are variations - but not too commonly). If you start looking at used LSs, it seems you have to check just about everything.

This may be the largest order of LSs they've ever made - I doubt that this will encourage Larrivee to bring it back, since they would still have to define its place in their market and convince dealers to carry them. Since most dealers cannot carry huge amounts of inventory, they are doing well to carry the range of more often sold Ds and Ls and OMs, with a few parlors thrown in. Most don't carry SDs, 000s, Cs, or even LSVs. And even fewer basses, baritones, 00s, and don't forget mandolins, ukeleles, and electrics.

With this many ordered, the used market should be very good for these in the years ahead. Anyone who didn't order one should find one available if they keep their eyes open, but I think they will hold their value nicely. For those that appreciate the size and feel of this instrument, I think it will be one heck of a player.

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

The current crop of LSv short scale, wide neck, guitars borrowed the name LS from the previous line. That was unfortunate and has caused much confusion. We have resurrected the (old) LS for the ForumIII guitar as a special request, though there appear to be a few of them still for sale new in the pipeline, so to speak.

yes the dimensions of Larrivee body sizes appear to have slightly changed over the years.

re LS (old style 1.75nut standard scale) available in 12fret. I think that was always a special order option, just as one could special order any body size with a 12 fret neck. Normally it was a 14fret neck.

Having said that, I don't recall seeing a full bodied L or D with a 12 fret neck, but I suppose that thought deserves its own thread. There are likely a few out there somewhere off my radar.
Randy R., Georgia, USA