Why did LS's not sell well enough for Larrivee to continue producing them?

Started by Broadus, January 16, 2009, 08:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 16, 2009, 12:06:53 PM
I don't think it's safe to assume that sales were bad.

Not necessarily "bad," but not good enough to continue producing them. Surely Larrivee would discontinue a successful model, do you think?

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

The LSV is still selling (in an 11 series)and it is one of Larrivee's pricier guitars.  Some years ago Jean decided to remodel the LS line.  He pinched the waist a little bit and made it a hair deeper, etc.  Kind of like the way Taylor revoiced some of its guitars a few years ago.  The LSV's are now made in Oxnard.  When the idea for a third forum guitar came up, Jean suggested producing a fingerstyle guitar, with an Italian top at a reduced price for forum members.   It could be produced in Vancouver, using the molds from the older design LS (which were sitting around doing nothing), and given a satin finish, which is what they do in the Vancouver facility, all at a good price.  I think it was a fantastic idea.  (If it had only been short scale......).  I think those of you who ordered one are in for a real treat.  Jim

"So how did the LS's sound compared with the OM's? Was there too much overlap and people wanted OM's instead?"

I have both an LS and an OM.  Yes, they are similarly sized.  But I really prefer the LS-10 to ANY of my acoustic guitars.  Very balanced and comfortable to play.  And, great tone.  The OM-09 actually seems to have a bit more bottom end and a little less top end, but I think that's due to the strings currently on it (D'Addario Flat tops)  Maybe they were to similar to warrant keeping both lines, but I know if I could only have one it would be the LS-10.
LV-09CE, LS-10, OM-09, 00-50TBS and numerous other guitars and basses

Quote from: axeman on January 16, 2009, 03:15:41 PM
I have both an LS and an OM.  Yes, they are similarly sized.  But I really prefer the LS-10 to ANY of my acoustic guitars.  Very balanced and comfortable to play.  And, great tone.  The OM-09 actually seems to have a bit more bottom end and a little less top end, but I think that's due to the strings currently on it (D'Addario Flat tops)  Maybe they were to similar to warrant keeping both lines, but I know if I could only have one it would be the LS-10.

That seems to be the general impression I get from people's comments.

The Larrivee OMs seem to be considered by many as a great OM guitar, but those who have LS's seem to say they are just great guitars full stop.  It is interesting that no comments have been posted on any thread that makes me think this has been a mistake.  The only mistake might have been not ordering one of each!!!

Audiophil's LS-09 is simply breathtaking too, which has made the anticipation even better.

With reference to this thread's title, to me it seems that the majority of the guitar buying public have set ideas on guitars.  Reading Larrivee's history, it seems they were reluctant in ways to build dreadnaughts, but felt it essential to compete with the big guys (i.e. Martin). Whilst many might be trying to step away from the Martin Taylor Gibson tradition, the standard body shapes are imprinted on peoples minds, be it Gibson Jumbo, Martin Dread or Martin OM.  The LS seems too detached from this standard to me to be commercially viable to anyone other than those who know.

But then we know about the Larrivee bug thing.

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: ehlefttb on January 16, 2009, 02:27:37 PM
The LSV is still selling (in an 11 series)and it is one of Larrivee's pricier guitars.  Some years ago Jean decided to remodel the LS line.  He pinched the waist a little bit and made it a hair deeper, etc.  Kind of like the way Taylor revoiced some of its guitars a few years ago.  The LSV's are now made in Oxnard.  When the idea for a third forum guitar came up, Jean suggested producing a fingerstyle guitar, with an Italian top at a reduced price for forum members.   It could be produced in Vancouver, using the molds from the older design LS (which were sitting around doing nothing), and given a satin finish, which is what they do in the Vancouver facility, all at a good price.  I think it was a fantastic idea.  (If it had only been short scale......).  I think those of you who ordered one are in for a real treat.  Jim
You have many points incorrect in this post,but it ain't a biggie.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 16, 2009, 08:43:15 AM
Here's a brand new one at Guitar Adoptions labeled "JUST ARRIVED-- EXTREMELY RARE"!

Maybe this would fit the bill for someone that didn't order because they wanted gloss and bling.

:coffee  :donut2  :donut
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/store/product.php?productid=18817&cat=257&page=3
                     It is a beautiful Guitar, it makes me wonder if this was "completed" after we began the F-III discussion and it became clear that there is a demand for these. The specs. are the older smaller sizes like we ordered also.
Sure seems like an interesting coincidence.
                     I've also seen more small body Larrivee's coming up for sale. It may be coincidence also. But I think some realize it's a good time to sell an LS or CS or 00 here on the forum.

To add to this LS confusion.....
Try a searh for L-Lite, or OM-Lite
Another discontinued body size that I looked hard at when I first found Larrivee.
Difficult to find, but still desireable.
ds
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

I'm really just guessing here, but maybe it has to do with Larrivee's dealers.  There are a few select dealers that carry many models, but there are MANY dealers that carry only a few (OM, L, D).  Some maybe only D and OM (as some posters have attested having difficulty finding even an L model).  And...guitar purchases via internet dealers is a relatively new phenomenon.

Maybe?  Maybe not.

This ties in with Dotneck's "most guitar players are conservative" theory...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: ehlefttb on January 16, 2009, 02:27:37 PM
The LSV is still selling (in an 11 series)and it is one of Larrivee's pricier guitars.  Some years ago Jean decided to remodel the LS line.  He pinched the waist a little bit and made it a hair deeper, etc.  Kind of like the way Taylor revoiced some of its guitars a few years ago.  The LSV's are now made in Oxnard.  When the idea for a third forum guitar came up, Jean suggested producing a fingerstyle guitar, with an Italian top at a reduced price for forum members.   It could be produced in Vancouver, using the molds from the older design LS (which were sitting around doing nothing), and given a satin finish, which is what they do in the Vancouver facility, all at a good price.  I think it was a fantastic idea.  (If it had only been short scale......).  I think those of you who ordered one are in for a real treat.  Jim

Ummmm....are you a consultant for Deloitte or something? Actually I feel the need to correct this oversight to give credit where credit is due: the collective intelligence of the forum. Through a great deal of discussion and self-guidance, this forum came up with the specifications for the latest Forum Guitar. All credit due to JCL, but I find it amazing that the Forum was able to come up with such a remarkable guitar. I can't wait to hear the collective reviews of all who purchased and I think we should open a thread specifically for this purpose at the guitars arrive.

Cheers,

Adam
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Pretty easy to spot at least one factual error in Jim's post.     :winkin:  I do hope his conclusions are on the mark though.  I'd be interested in hearing where this version of the creation of forum III originated.
Anyone who has followed the original forum guitar thread knows that it was a handful of forum members;  Danny, Tadol, Ricky, and several others (sorry if I left you out) who spearheaded both the design and selection of Italian spruce for the forum III.   All of us were thrilled to hear that JCL accepted the task of building these for us.   Was Jean already thinking of this before we, through Jim Holler, took the proposal to him ?  I suppose it doesn't matter except I like to see credit given where and to whom it's due.   
Jim, do we have it wrong ? :?

Tuffythepug