Larrivée setups. do they Plek?

Started by Tio Kimo, May 30, 2013, 01:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Been following a discussion on another forum regarding the impact of a properly plek'd guitar (electrics). Consensus is highly favorable.

I can say that my nearly new RS-2 is easily the best playing electric I've played. Came to me this way, and remains this way despite several string changes, which has included modest changes in string guage. Clearly it was well set up prior to my obtaining it, but I did buy it 2nd hand. It's a 2010 G3 RS-2

This leads me to speculate that the fretboard condition is exceptional relative to my other guitars. Is the guy doing the finish work just that good? Does Larrivée use a plek machine in the California shop? Is plek-ing more of an electric guitar application than an acoustic one?

plenty to tee off on here....love to hear your thoughts.

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"

FWIW, Dan Erlewine's shop is in the process of getting rid of their PLEK machine and going back to manual setups using Erlewine's neck jig. I had a setup performed on my L-41 12-string by Elliot John-Conry (Erlewine's apprentice and heir apparent). Elliot did an outstanding job on my guitar. The PLEK machine was still in the corner of the shop gathering dust when I was last there earlier this year. Elliot said that he and Dan found that the machine just could not do as fine a job as skilled human hands.

:nanadance :nanadance So glad to hear.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I didn't intend the thread as a discussion on the merits of the PLEK process. I agree that it isn't a substitute for a fine luthier.

Rather just wondering what Larrivée has chosen to do to ensure its QC on the fretboards.

Also, If I understand correctly, all the PLEK does is dress frets, It doesn't press them in a raw board, or address any other elements of the set-up. I could well be wrong here.

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

Quote from: Tio Kimo on May 30, 2013, 04:41:00 PMI didn't intend the thread as a discussion on the merits of the PLEK process...

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I thought when you said "...plenty to tee off on here....love to hear your thoughts..." it was an invitation to open discussion.

I'm glad the electric has great fretwork. Generally I don't find Larrivees anything to write home about in that respect though. Most of the big makers are not much better, to be fair. My last three have needed shop time. One was Terrible. (The guitar itself exceptional)
L-03 Italian Spruce

Fortunately Larrivee does NOT use a PLEK machine.

A PLEK is an expensive way of getting a mediocre to good setup.  It also leaves the frets improperly rounded.  A good setup and fret dressing by a professional who knows what they are doing will always be better than a PLEK.

Martin just started using a PLEK about two years ago.  They also make about 20 times the guitars per year that Larrivee does.  Even if a PLEK was as good as a skilled person the ROI simply isn't justified.  (I think a PLEK costs about $80,000)

Quote from: JamesN on May 30, 2013, 02:11:30 PM
FWIW, Dan Erlewine's shop is in the process of getting rid of their PLEK machine and going back to manual setups using Erlewine's neck jig. I had a setup performed on my L-41 12-string by Elliot John-Conry (Erlewine's apprentice and heir apparent). Elliot did an outstanding job on my guitar. The PLEK machine was still in the corner of the shop gathering dust when I was last there earlier this year. Elliot said that he and Dan found that the machine just could not do as fine a job as skilled human hands.

:thumb :thumb :thumb :thumbsup :thumb :thumb :thumb
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: unclrob on May 30, 2013, 03:27:50 PM
:nanadance :nanadance So glad to hear.

Sorry about that.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 30, 2013, 08:55:13 PM
Fortunately Larrivee does NOT use a PLEK machine.

A PLEK is an expensive way of getting a mediocre to good setup.  It also leaves the frets improperly rounded.  A good setup and fret dressing by a professional who knows what they are doing will always be better than a PLEK.

Martin just started using a PLEK about two years ago.  They also make about 20 times the guitars per year that Larrivee does.  Even if a PLEK was as good as a skilled person the ROI simply isn't justified.  (I think a PLEK costs about $80,000)

Thanks for straightening me out.

There are other companies that use the PLEK,I think G+L does.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: JamesN on May 30, 2013, 05:00:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread. I thought when you said "...plenty to tee off on here....love to hear your thoughts..." it was an invitation to open discussion.

Not at all!!! Tone is so hard to communicate sometimes. No harm....

I guess what I'm saying is, do we know if Larrivee uses one?

Like i tried to say in my OP, my guitar may well have had significant work done by the original owner. I simply don't know. But when hearing the comments made by the people who's opinions I value...these are pro players plekking 3-4K$ electrics and being floored by the results... what I experience is consistant with what they experience.

I know that G***** pleks, and as others pointed out, so do other manufacturers. Made me simply wonder if Larrivee is on board.

there is a small shop in Chicago's burbs...not a chain or anything. They using a plek and folks are gushing.

As a one time machinist and tool and die guy...this notion makes sense to me. That a plek, properly operated (which is not a simple task) can consistantly yield excellent results, just as an excellent luthier can yield consistantly excellent results....and never needs vacation time or overtime.

But a machine run poorly yields poor results. Just like a guy with a file can yield poor results.

Having said all that, I've no first hand experience with a plek'd guitar. But I have payed for less than stellar set up by a reputable luthier.

By all means....feel free to voice your opinions and knowledge...I just didn't want to completely abandon the "what's Larrivée doing" component of my question.

:cheers

2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

I'm fairly certain Gibson uses the plek machine as well. I was encouraged when I saw the Facebook pic I posted on larrivees Facebook page.

One headline I read on google was titled "Built by humans, perfected by robots."
Im glad larrivee is fine with the Human hands portion of that quote.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Tio,

I hope my first post was enough to satisfy your initial inquiry. I've never heard of larrivee using a plek and that pic was posted not long ago.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

There is a reason people pay a lot of extra money for someone to hand build a guitar, or custom build a firearm, or custom make kitchen cabinets.

A PLEK setup is a lot like buying kitchen cabinets from IKEA.  The quality will be a lot better than simply buying cabinets at random, but not nearly as good as if you paid a cabinet builder to do it right.

My RS-4, which I bought new, was well set up, with perfect fretwork, from the factory. I don't think I even lowered any of the nut slots (which I've done on almost every guitar I've owned, including some other Larrivees). My RS-2 had very good fretwork, but not at the same level of finish (some sharp fret ends on the RS-2) as the RS-4. My Bakersfield with maple board is also *perfect* in the fretwork department.

I've played a few Plek'd Gibsons, and, unless it's touched again by human hands after the Plek job, it's not impressive at all. Getting the frets leveled and polished is only part of a good set-up.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

To Plek or not to plek, that  :humour: is the question.

I concur with the above statement, BOTH RS4's have perfectly rounded frets (at the edges-so you can't feel them when sliding up the neck).

My Walnut/Cedar OM had a couple light "barbs" further up the neck, but it was an easy fix.

all other Larrivees were perfect.

I also concur with others here, a pro set up (or some of us do our own) is the ONLY way to have proper fret dressing.
Each guitar is different.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...