Patreon

Started by William2, April 27, 2024, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone use Patreon to support an artist they like of have a site of their own? I see some young players I like to watch and have a Patreon site. I've considered joining an artist's site but have decided not for a number of reasons. One young classical player I like has a lot of Patreon subscribers. She puts out You Tube videos. I've seen a lot of comments and questions she never responds to. Maybe you have to be Patreon subscriber for her to talk to you. I like Chris Whiteman's chord melody arrangements and was thinking of subscribing. But now he just does jazz guitar lessons on Patreon. I'm not a jazz student so what does that get me? Chris used to publish his chord melody arrangements and I'd buy them, but he doesn't do this anymore. And I love Jimmy Bruno's playing but won't join his jazz guitar school as I'm not a jazz guitar student and too old to get into this. Bruno did some videos in his basement that were really informative on a variety of topics. One was Reflect on This. On it, he took a jazz standard played it solo, then said reflect on this, did the same tune differently several times saying reflect on this each time. Ending, he pushes his glasses up with his middle finger and says reflect on this LOL!!! I'd love to have one of those versions on sheet music. I would think just publishing your music if you could keep putting things out would be a source of income. Patreon isn't free. And everyone isn't a jazz guitar student. And who Patreon's a classical guitarist who just puts out videos?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patreon

I supported a mandolin player for a year on his lowest level. I think it was $3 a month with a 12% discount if you paid annually. I did it to get sheet music/tabs. I'm about to support a finger style guitarist to get some sheet music/tabs.
Taylor 214ce Plus
Eastman MD315 Mandolin

I've used Patreon for a couple of artists.  In the past, Maria Schneider, to get her new recordings.  I'm now on Patreon with Tom Rush  since he started his weekly videos back in covid.  Has been a good way to support artists directly.

I was just wondering how much an artist makes on Patreon. I tis probably reportable income and they only get a percentage og the donation.