Electric Question

Started by SongMan, December 01, 2004, 12:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks for the site. This guy is fun to listen to.

still thinking. I now have 3 choices at different levels.

50th anniversary that I mentioned above if I want to spend a bit($1K)

or

http://www.guitartrader.com/itm.icl?pid=49...er=icat_orderID     ($399)

or

SX chinese guitar you mentioned.($100)

I love the Tele that you list. I've seen it in red but would prefer it in amber. May be a discontinued model.

OK, after editing the post to add the image, I see that the picture I added was of the American version which uses quilted maple, does not bind the body and is much more expensive. Look for the import on Ebay if you want a color other than blue.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Out of those 3, I would go with the Tele and spend the rest on a good amp.

Zach

RICKENBACKER!

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Completely agree with Fergy.  There's nothing like a Rick 360.  

QuoteCompletely agree with Fergy.  There's nothing like a Rick 360.
What's so good about them?

This was a general plug for what I feel is a very under-appreciated guitar.  Not to mention the obvious historical significance (Beatles, Beach Boys, REM, etc.) whenever I play my friend's 360, it just "feels" right.  Great balance, impeccable workmanship, fast neck, awesome tone, and, for what it is, a great value.  It's also much more versatile than people give it credit for.  I love that Rick for many of the same reasons I love my Larry.  Just my .02

I have been gassin' myself for the Fender AmDel 50th.  Or an Eric Claption Signature model because the block trem.  Resisted so far............
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

QuoteI have been gassin' myself for the Fender AmDel 50th.  Or an Eric Claption Signature model because the block trem.  Resisted so far............
You just increased my level of GAS with those comments about 50th anniversary. and Hangfire private message about the strat added even more on top of that.

I have a 40th anniversary Am std strat that is a real sweetheart. The 50th would be sweet too, I imagine.  

I've tried quite a few electrics in the time I've been playing.  Maybe you can avoid some of the mistakes I've made.  If you play standing up on a stage for a long period of time, consider that a LLes Paul is a heavy guitar and may not be too comfortable.  The '90 studio I had sounded and played great though.  Teles are absolutely fantastic.  I had a Mexican Tele that I wish I still had.  It played great and sounded good with the stock Mexican pickups.  The USA ASH Tele I had was a great guitar but it didn't nail the tones I was looking for.   I've had a couple of Mexican Strats that were "ho-hum" guitars.  Now, I've heard from people who have excellent ones and maybe mine weren't great because I didn't go out and play a bunch to find a great one.  

I got my guitars through Ebay which I've found to be a good way of trying guitars without losing too much money.  Buy, keep it 6 months, sell if it isn't working out.  It has worked for me but I've grown to hate Ebay.

I've had a PRS McCarty which was an excellent playing and looking guitar but I really didn't like the pickups and the overall tone.  My keeper is a white USA ASH Strat with a rosewood board.  It has the 3 stock deltatone pickups and can cover a broad range of styles.  It's an Ebay guitar I picked up for $500 and it honestly plays better than the PRS.  It's the best electric guitar I've ever had.  Bang for buck=used USA Strat!  Still, the best thing to do is to go play a bunch.

The only thing about strats I don't like are the trems.  I've never been able to keep one in tune with the trem setup correctly.  I gave up and began "blocking" them using 5 springs and screwing the adjustment screws so the bridge is flat on the body.  Clapton's strat is "blocked," I believe, with an actual block of wood so the trem won't move and cause tuning "issues."  You may want to consider the potential tuning problems inherent with trem equipped guitars.  

My suggestion is to check out Carvin guitars www.carvin.com.  They are excellent quality guitars that can be had in a variety of flavors.  Their resale value isn't great just because "Gibson" or "Fender" isn't on the headstock.  

I like tube amps but there are great solid state amps.  Ebay figures in here as well on the cost factor as tube amps are pricey.  Modeling amps are great.  I love my brother n law's Line 6 flextone but it just doesn't have the "presence" and tone that I enjoy out of my Peavey Classic 30.  A great guitar is going to sound bad played through a poor amp.

I hope all this helps.
More than I deserve.

QuoteI've tried quite a few electrics in the time I've been playing.  Maybe you can avoid some of the mistakes I've made.  If you play standing up on a stage for a long period of time, consider that a LLes Paul is a heavy guitar and may not be too comfortable.  The '90 studio I had sounded and played great though.  Teles are absolutely fantastic.  I had a Mexican Tele that I wish I still had.  It played great and sounded good with the stock Mexican pickups.  The USA ASH Tele I had was a great guitar but it didn't nail the tones I was looking for.   I've had a couple of Mexican Strats that were "ho-hum" guitars.  Now, I've heard from people who have excellent ones and maybe mine weren't great because I didn't go out and play a bunch to find a great one.  

I got my guitars through Ebay which I've found to be a good way of trying guitars without losing too much money.  Buy, keep it 6 months, sell if it isn't working out.  It has worked for me but I've grown to hate Ebay.

I've had a PRS McCarty which was an excellent playing and looking guitar but I really didn't like the pickups and the overall tone.  My keeper is a white USA ASH Strat with a rosewood board.  It has the 3 stock deltatone pickups and can cover a broad range of styles.  It's an Ebay guitar I picked up for $500 and it honestly plays better than the PRS.  It's the best electric guitar I've ever had.  Bang for buck=used USA Strat!  Still, the best thing to do is to go play a bunch.

The only thing about strats I don't like are the trems.  I've never been able to keep one in tune with the trem setup correctly.  I gave up and began "blocking" them using 5 springs and screwing the adjustment screws so the bridge is flat on the body.  Clapton's strat is "blocked," I believe, with an actual block of wood so the trem won't move and cause tuning "issues."  You may want to consider the potential tuning problems inherent with trem equipped guitars.  

My suggestion is to check out Carvin guitars www.carvin.com.  They are excellent quality guitars that can be had in a variety of flavors.  Their resale value isn't great just because "Gibson" or "Fender" isn't on the headstock.  

I like tube amps but there are great solid state amps.  Ebay figures in here as well on the cost factor as tube amps are pricey.  Modeling amps are great.  I love my brother n law's Line 6 flextone but it just doesn't have the "presence" and tone that I enjoy out of my Peavey Classic 30.  A great guitar is going to sound bad played through a poor amp.

I hope all this helps.
Your info was Great! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

As far as ELec, I am pretty much set on Fender Strat unless I go with the Fat tele listed on top of this forum for $399. I think I should try to get hold of 50th anniversary and see How I like it.

And Amp, I think i just want a small practice amp for now such a Roland 15watt cube combo.

I hate to be negative, but I think a $1,000 guitar is going to be wasted by using a small, solid state practice amp.  There are obviously other factors, but a well setup MIM Strat will probably sound about the same as the 50th Anniv. through an amp like that.  

I know the 50th Anniv. is an awesome guitar, but if this is your first electric, I wouldn't spend all of your budget on the guitar just because you have it.  I would suggest a used guitar (easier to get your money back out of it if you decide you don't like it) and a used tube amp (same reason).  You could easily pick up a used American Strat and a Peavey Classic 30 for 1k, which I think would sound much better than the 50th Anniv. through a practice amp, and is by no means a beginner setup.  

This is just my opinion, but the amp is just as important, if not more important, than the guitar.  I wouldn't cut corners on an amp just to get a really really nice guitar.

Zach

QuoteI hate to be negative, but I think a $1,000 guitar is going to be wasted by using a small, solid state practice amp.  There are obviously other factors, but a well setup MIM Strat will probably sound about the same as the 50th Anniv. through an amp like that.  

I know the 50th Anniv. is an awesome guitar, but if this is your first electric, I wouldn't spend all of your budget on the guitar just because you have it.  I would suggest a used guitar (easier to get your money back out of it if you decide you don't like it) and a used tube amp (same reason).  You could easily pick up a used American Strat and a Peavey Classic 30 for 1k, which I think would sound much better than the 50th Anniv. through a practice amp, and is by no means a beginner setup.  

This is just my opinion, but the amp is just as important, if not more important, than the guitar.  I wouldn't cut corners on an amp just to get a really really nice guitar.
Thank you and that is an excellent point.

Part of  reason I wanted to spend bit more for 50th was the resale factor and it's awsome review, and mainly ...GAS.

I do agree playing this guitar in a small practice amp is not taking the full advantage of this guitar. It's like begginer Acoustic player wanting Martin HD-28 to learn their chords on. haha :D nothing wrong with that. I am believer of buying the most you can afford to start with when it comes to acoustic and I'm guessing this might go same for elec. However, it's easier said than done, And this is why I am trying to decide 3 of the guitars in different price range I mentioned above.

I know that The best thing for me is to go out and play as many as I can, and I will do that. But for now, I do what I can to get most info from my forum buddies :)  

Here's another vote for the Strat. I also wouldn't skimp on the amp and would recommend tube over solid state components. I went that route when I purchased a Hot Rod Deluxe with my American Strat (ash body) 5 years ago. I get a nice warm tone with it but am afraid to turn it up beyond "4" at home.   <_<  
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

QuoteHere's another vote for the Strat. I also wouldn't skimp on the amp and would recommend tube over solid state components. I went that route when I purchased a Hot Rod Deluxe with my American Strat (ash body) 5 years ago. I get a nice warm tone with it but am afraid to turn it up beyond "4" at home.   <_<
Yeah, I just got off the phone with Local Guitar center. They had 2 50th strat in stock. I am going to check them out today.

btw, if you don't mind sharing, How much did you spend on your start?

I think 50th goes for around $1000 and some places are offering them for around $950.

Not to be negative, but check the 'bay and see what 50th anniversary strats are going for and whether of not any have sold and at what price before you buy.  My guess is that they will have a resale value similar to that of a regular old American Series Strat that was bought new then sold.  This is relative, of course. Am Series new, say $850, used $600.  50th anniversary new -  $1000, used $800 maybe?  Whatever strat you do get, try to find one with an Ash body.  I've played alder, poplar, and ash and the ash has the best tone.  Thirty watts of tube amp WILL rattle walls but can also be tame enough to use as a practice amp.  Peavey, Laney, Crate, Carvin all make small tube amps that will get the job done.
More than I deserve.

QuoteNot to be negative, but check the 'bay and see what 50th anniversary strats are going for and whether of not any have sold and at what price before you buy.  My guess is that they will have a resale value similar to that of a regular old American Series Strat that was bought new then sold.  This is relative, of course. Am Series new, say $850, used $600.  50th anniversary new -  $1000, used $800 maybe?  Whatever strat you do get, try to find one with an Ash body.  I've played alder, poplar, and ash and the ash has the best tone.  Thirty watts of tube amp WILL rattle walls but can also be tame enough to use as a practice amp.  Peavey, Laney, Crate, Carvin all make small tube amps that will get the job done.
Thanks for stiring me into good direction in start of my elec journey.

I did check out Ebay for 50th and found them to be going anywhere form $800-$900. I think I can get one new for $950. Do you think $100-$150 is worth buying from ebay?I guess i can only answer that. Doesn't warrenty system work the same in elec(fender) as acoustic when covering original owner only?

Maybe I'm cynical but most of the warranties I've read seem to only cover acts of God rather than anything I would do to the guitar or forsee happening to the guitar and I take care of my stuff.  I could see the need of a warranty on an acoustic due to humidity concerns yet even Larrivee's warranty does not cover such damage.  I believe they HAVE done so which is another reason I own Larrivees.  A Strat is built like a tank but I see your point.  If I could get one for $800 then I might go for it but for $900 when I could get a new one for $950, I would buy new.  The 50th anniv Strats are awesome any way they come.
More than I deserve.

QuoteMaybe I'm cynical but most of the warranties I've read seem to only cover acts of God rather than anything I would do to the guitar or forsee happening to the guitar and I take care of my stuff.  I could see the need of a warranty on an acoustic due to humidity concerns yet even Larrivee's warranty does not cover such damage.  I believe they HAVE done so which is another reason I own Larrivees.  A Strat is built like a tank but I see your point.  If I could get one for $800 then I might go for it but for $900 when I could get a new one for $950, I would buy new.  The 50th anniv Strats are awesome any way they come.
yeah, i just double checked ebay and found average price for one with tweed case around $900. If i only have to pay $50 more, it's no brainer to go with the new. Especially If i get to try them first.