Strings that don't squeak

Started by peterparlour, July 22, 2012, 07:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello!
It's time to change strings on all my guitars.  I guess it's like calling in the farrier; might as well shoe em all.  Anyway, squeaky strings are like fingernails on a chalk board to me.  I'm working on a couple of songs that require moving between barre chords up and down the neck and the squeak is really getting to me.  So, until I get better at changing the chords, I need to look for low squeak strings.  I play mostly finger style; when I do strum, I don't use a pick.

Any ideas?  I did search this topic, and no doubt it's been covered heavily, but I couldn't find the answer - probably operator error on my part.

Thanks,

Peter Parlour

Larrivee P-01
Larrivee 00-03R
Larrivee OM-40 Vintage Sunburst
Larrivee SD-40R
Larrivee Bakersfield

The search function is hit or miss at best. I've heard people say that Elixer strings don't squeak as much, something about the coating that they use.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

You could try flat wound strings
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

DAddario has some strings they call "flat tops." They are not exactly flat wound strings, but they have been ground down a bit to ease the fingertips a bit. The squeeking sound is reduced quite a bit.
Flatwounds will cut it down, but your guitar will sound like it has dead strings on it.
So, I'd try the flottops at least on one or two instruments.

Larrivee d-03, My first "good" guitar
Larrivee p1 Dec 2000
Larrivee Forum III #31 Mom's estate gift to me
Boulder Creek tenor uke *2
Gibson SG 1980 gift from Dad for my 16th birthday
Yellow labrador

Try wiping the finger tips on the side of your nose,the oil in this area of the face works like a natural finger ease,this may or maynot help.Also the string company SIT once sold a set of semi flats for acoustic,I'm not sure if they still make them.As already stated Elixers are about it for min. string noise.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

and then there's 'Finger Ease' spray string lubricant. It also reduces squawk.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Eat McDonald french fries with your left hand before you play.  :humour:

Another potential solution would be when changing strings, at least once a year, thoroughly clean your fretboard with lemon oil (Dunlop). It removes grime and even after thoroughly wiping it down, will let your fingers pick up a little oil when playing. Smells nice too.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"