attention 00-03 owners (and 00-50 owners too!)

Started by gregg, July 19, 2011, 09:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ffinke on July 19, 2011, 11:06:47 AM
Gregg,
I've never had the opportunity to play a Larrivee 00 but the H&D thread has a lot of comments about their 00-sp. I'm beginning to believe the 00 will become the stradivarius of guitars someday. Seems like they have a bigger sound than even the Dreadnaughts. They are incredible little animals.

f

f, i hope one day you get to play a larry 00.  they are awesome!  i wouldn't be surprised if they had a bigger sound than some dreadnaughts.  i can say for sure that my 00 is loud!  and the bass is pretty darn deep too.  i don't know how such a little box can get so rich a sound out of it. 

Quote from: WPete on July 20, 2011, 01:25:13 PM
Actually the ratio's are the same @ 14:1 , I checked it by trying both side by side. I think the Gotoh's are smoother and more stable, but that just may be because they are prettier - Thanks for the compliment. I'm very pleased w/ how well the Amber compliments the Larrivee HOG finish color.  :beer

thanks for the clarification.  i don't know why i thought it was 18:1.  (maybe the regular pings are?)  and i agree, the amber color does compliment the mahogany.

Quote from: dependan on July 20, 2011, 01:28:34 PM
                                                           00 Larrivees are way cool guitars :ph34r:.

So thanks Larrivee for bringing back a classic 00. :+1:

:+1:

Quote from: gregg on July 20, 2011, 06:20:16 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if they had a bigger sound than some dreadnaughts.  i can say for sure that my 00 is loud!  and the bass is pretty darn deep too.  i don't know how such a little box can get so rich a sound out of it. 

At Guitar Intensives last year, I got a lot of comments about how good my FIV sounded.  Several people mentioned that it was much louder than they expected.

Now that I've got the problems worked out, it's become one of my favourite guitars.  Comfortable to play, lots of volume, and a wonderful sound.  I tend to keep mine in drop D tuning.  There seems to be a resonance on the D, which sounds great.  A really deep bass which I wouldn't expect from a guitar this size.

I would like a short scale version of the FIV, though.  And a pyramid bridge.  And a slotted headstock.  Oh well.  Can't have everything.

Gordon

[attachment deleted by admin]
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Quote from: bobsnob on July 20, 2011, 06:34:21 PM
At Guitar Intensives last year, I got a lot of comments about how good my FIV sounded.  Several people mentioned that it was much louder than they expected.
I would like a short scale version of the FIV, though.  And a pyramid bridge.  And a slotted headstock.  Oh well.  Can't have everything.  Gordon
Yeah, but making those changes would alter much about what we love about the F-IV. 

And cost quite a bit more as well.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on July 21, 2011, 10:00:23 AM
And cost quite a bit more as well.

No doubt.  Probably too expensive for my taste.

I want an abalone rosette, too.  :smile:

Gordon
Montreal

Rosettes don't make the guitar sound better though.   :wink:

All I really care about when it comes to guitars is sound and feel.  Abalone looks nice though.   :cheers

Quote from: Denis on July 21, 2011, 04:35:14 PM

Heretic!!

All I really care about when it comes to guitars is sound and feel.  Abalone looks nice though.   :cheers

I'd like to think that I don't care about the aesthetics either.  But a while back, someone posted a picture of a mahogany top with an abalone rosette.  Made me drool a bit.  The contrast between the dark top and the abalone colours was stunning.  Usually my wallet brings me back down to earth, but sometimes I'm sorely tempted.

Gordon
Montreal

Quote from: bobsnob on July 21, 2011, 07:10:21 PM
Heretic!!
:roll

more and more for me, sound and feel trump looks.  HOWEVER, i have to admit i like looking at beautiful guitars too.  to me, some guitars are works of art that i just enjoy looking at.

Quote from: gregg on July 19, 2011, 09:54:15 AM
right now i have just changed the triple compensated tusq saddle to a b-compensated bone saddle that i took from my om-03r.  i have not yet decided if it sounds better or not yet but also am not sure how much of a difference the different compensations would make as well.
gregg

Hi Greg
Sadly I haven't played one of those beauties yet (I have yet to see one here in Africa), but threads like these have me gassin' for one all the time!  :tongue:
I have always been interrested in the H&D 00-SP and the Gibby L-00's - I guess they're all great compared to the Lav, but different in each's own and unique way.

Anyway, re the compensation:
If you pick the harmonic at the 12th fret, and then pick the fretted note for the same string also at the 12th you can compare whethher the pitch is the same. If it is, the compensation is spot on. BTW, different (and new) strings have an effect on compensation too.
:smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Not on an 03 model.

If you really care that much for looks, I doubt that you are a truly poetic songwriter with the skills innately installed in your being that enable you to compose even ONE simple song that declares the depths of your heart.

NO :humour: intendted

Quote from: dependan on July 22, 2011, 01:30:15 AM
   If you really care that much for looks, I doubt that you are a truly poetic songwriter with the skills innately installed in your being that enable you to compose even ONE simple song that declares the depths of your heart.

Just thought I'd copy this before it is deleted.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Zohn on July 22, 2011, 12:00:37 AM
Hi Greg
Sadly I haven't played one of those beauties yet (I have yet to see one here in Africa), but threads like these have me gassin' for one all the time!  :tongue:
I have always been interrested in the H&D 00-SP and the Gibby L-00's - I guess they're all great compared to the Lav, but different in each's own and unique way.

Anyway, re the compensation:
If you pick the harmonic at the 12th fret, and then pick the fretted note for the same string also at the 12th you can compare whethher the pitch is the same. If it is, the compensation is spot on. BTW, different (and new) strings have an effect on compensation too.
:smile:

i'll check it when i get home.  thanks, zohn!  i haven't played any other kind of 00 but i can't imagine the others sounding exponentially better.  last night i decided to pick up my goodall rgcc (haven't played it in a while and lately i've only been playing my 00)  and the difference in sound quality seemed negligible if anything, to me.  i didn't know whether to be happy or sad.  but definitely the goodall is way better looking.    :laughin:

Quote from: dependan on July 22, 2011, 01:30:15 AM

i don't know if i care "that" much, but guitars do have a visual appeal for me as well as audible.  but don't hold back, danny.  please, tell me what you really think about me! 

:humour: intended!

Quote from: gregg on July 22, 2011, 06:38:25 PM
i'll check it when i get home.  thanks, zohn!  i haven't played any other kind of 00 but i can't imagine the others sounding exponentially better.  last night i decided to pick up my goodall rgcc (haven't played it in a while and lately i've only been playing my 00)  and the difference in sound quality seemed negligible if anything, to me.  i didn't know whether to be happy or sad.  but definitely the goodall is way better looking.    :laughin:

i don't know if i care "that" much, but guitars do have a visual appeal for me as well as audible.  but don't hold back, danny.  please, tell me what you really think about me!  

:humour: intended!
Gregg I think you are who you are. I'm not imposing judgment though it may appear so. I'm just saying if you belong to the BLING crowd only, you will never write a song that moves someone. Not even YOU.

BTW  no humor intended.   I want what you have inside you to come out in a lyric. Not just sit there, paralyzed by some unseen force that really doesn't even exist. Does that connect? I'm too old to be bashful. :blush:

Quote from: dependan on July 23, 2011, 02:31:19 AM
 Gregg I think you are who you are. I'm not imposing judgment though it may appear so. I'm just saying if you belong to the BLING crowd only, you will never write a song that moves someone. Not even YOU.

BTW  no humor intended.   I want what you have inside you to come out in a lyric. Not just sit there, paralyzed by some unseen force that really doesn't even exist. Does that connect? I'm too old to be bashful. :blush:

hey danny, it's a lot clearer now.  i don't know if i'll ever write a song that moves someone.  (except maybe away from me!  :guitar)  it would be super cool if i could do that, but it's not high on my priority list right now. maybe one of these days.  until then i'll be happy just playing other people's songs that move me and trying to get better so that maybe if/when i do write something, it will be good.  oh, and still admiring beautiful guitars.  but my appreciation for the visual aspects of guitars definitely doesn't paralyze me from doing anything i want to do.  plus, as i think about it i guess i have other means to express myself besides music.  but i definitely appreciate the encouragement to do so, because i do wish i were a better musician; just not at the expense of all the other things i wish i was better at.    :cheers   

Danny, I'm having trouble understanding your point.  Maybe if you defined the type of person you refer to as belonging to the "BLING crowd only", I would get it?

You seem to be saying that one can't be a "poet" or write a truly heartfelt song or whatever, unless the guitar he is composing it on sounds good.  I don't agree with that at all.  Many people have done, and now do write wonderful songs on guitars that to most of us would be considered to sound and/or play like crap.  They may not know any better, or maybe they can't afford a better guitar, or are in prison and there's only one guitar to go around or whatever.  Or one may compose a song on a piano whether it's a crappy piano or not with the intention of performing it on the guitar.

Isn't it presumptuous to assume that the main reason anyone buys a guitar is so they can use it to write songs?  In 45 years of playing, I never bought a guitar for that reason.

And yes, I get the point about the amount of bling on your guitar is irrelevant when it comes to inspiration in songwriting.  (Maybe that WAS your only point?)
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: gregg on July 23, 2011, 03:51:57 PM
hey danny, it's a lot clearer now.  i don't know if i'll ever write a song that moves someone.  (except maybe away from me!  :guitar)  it would be super cool if i could do that, but it's not high on my priority list right now. maybe one of these days.  until then i'll be happy just playing other people's songs that move me and trying to get better so that maybe if/when i do write something, it will be good.  oh, and still admiring beautiful guitars.  but my appreciation for the visual aspects of guitars definitely doesn't paralyze me from doing anything i want to do.  plus, as i think about it i guess i have other means to express myself besides music.  but i definitely appreciate the encouragement to do so, because i do wish i were a better musician; just not at the expense of all the other things i wish i was better at.    :cheers   

Sometimes I just start writing a response to a post without considering that much how it will be perceived. Thus I am at fault many times for not being clear, or just coming out and saying what I think regardless of what others may "feel" about it.

So I end up apologizing a lot. :blush:  Sorry Gregg, you had a good topic going here. I hope it can continue.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on July 23, 2011, 11:58:29 PM
Danny, I'm having trouble understanding your point.  Maybe if you defined the type of person you refer to as belonging to the "BLING crowd only", I would get it?

You seem to be saying that one can't be a "poet" or write a truly heartfelt song or whatever, unless the guitar he is composing it on sounds good.  I don't agree with that at all.  Many people have done, and now do write wonderful songs on guitars that to most of us would be considered to sound and/or play like crap.  They may not know any better, or maybe they can't afford a better guitar, or are in prison and there's only one guitar to go around or whatever.  Or one may compose a song on a piano whether it's a crappy piano or not with the intention of performing it on the guitar.

Isn't it presumptuous to assume that the main reason anyone buys a guitar is so they can use it to write songs?  In 45 years of playing, I never bought a guitar for that reason.

And yes, I get the point about the amount of bling on your guitar is irrelevant when it comes to inspiration in songwriting.  (Maybe that WAS your only point?)
Yes, the last sentence was my point. I just didn't make it graciously or very clearly. :donut

Most of the better song writers started out with crap guitars, so did I, but then I'm not a songwriter...  :blush: and I haven't got that bling-guitar any more - so maybea 00 will let the writing juices flow.....  :winkin:
Back to the topic - the used short-scale 00-03R at LAGuitars looks fabulous - I want it  :drool:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: dependan on July 24, 2011, 12:37:54 AM

Yes, the last sentence was my point. I just didn't make it graciously or very clearly. :donut

Danny, you mustn't sell yourself short that way. I thought you made your point very clear.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing