attention 00-03 owners (and 00-50 owners too!)

Started by gregg, July 19, 2011, 09:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on July 23, 2011, 11:58:29 PM
Many people have done, and now do write wonderful songs on guitars that to most of us would be considered to sound and/or play like crap. 

Presenting beautiful music crap guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiT74NaQ7dI&feature=player_embedded

Hmmmm, that's from Namibia - next door to SA...

Edit: and that guy is from the Nortern Cape province in SA Denis.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Denis on July 24, 2011, 07:23:40 AM
And how about this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKTeRW3OhQ

Yup! Saw this one a while back as well. Videos like these just show that when folks complain that they are not writing or playing enough becsause of the playability of the guitar or what ever instrument not being "good enough" what they are really saying is that their desire to create is really the instrument that is lacking.....

Quote from: dependan on July 24, 2011, 12:37:54 AM
 Sometimes I just start writing a response to a post without considering that much how it will be perceived. Thus I am at fault many times for not being clear, or just coming out and saying what I think regardless of what others may "feel" about it.

So I end up apologizing a lot. :blush:  Sorry Gregg, you had a good topic going here. I hope it can continue.

Yes, the last sentence was my point. I just didn't make it graciously or very clearly. :donut

hey danny, no problemo, friend.  not that i'd be one to ever refuse a donut though!   :thumb

Quote from: Zohn on July 24, 2011, 01:27:01 AM
Back to the topic - the used short-scale 00-03R at LAGuitars looks fabulous - I want it  :drool:

yeah, i hear you.  the other 00-03r that was in the classifieds was tempting.  but all my other guitars are rosewood so i wanted my 00 to be mahogany.   

Quote from: GA-ME on July 24, 2011, 06:53:38 AM
Presenting beautiful music crap guitar:

nice description!   :laughin:

Quote from: GA-ME on July 24, 2011, 07:36:49 AM
Yup! Saw this one a while back as well. Videos like these just show that when folks complain that they are not writing or playing enough becsause of the playability of the guitar or what ever instrument not being "good enough" what they are really saying is that their desire to create is really the instrument that is lacking.....

it's amazing the amount of self-imposed limitations people put on themselves sometimes.  myself included.

Quote from: Zohn on July 24, 2011, 01:27:01 AM...the used short-scale 00-03R at LAGuitars looks fabulous - I want it  :drool:

If you mean this one than it is fabulous. I snagged one of Ted's 00-03's with short scale and cutaway last year and it hasn't been back in it's case yet. The short scale makes it a joy to play and it really does warm things up. My cousin is visiting me this coming weekend and I plan on taking him down to LA Guitar Sales to check the 00-03R out. Looks clean and it has some worthwhile upgrades.

:+1: That's the one Pete - those upgrades are "made" for that guitar, and the silver lining on the headstock is most unusual but a nice touch for a 03-series guitar, not to mention the rosewood and the straight grained, perfectly quartered neck blank.
It will set me back another $550 to ship it home though....  :crying:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I hope someone buys that OO-03R Short-Scale at LA Guitar Sales.  It is tempting me too much  :crying:

Quote from: cke on July 19, 2011, 12:10:52 PM
I really enjoy my 00-03SE, charming, small, but big sounding, like some other builder's OM's. I changed the tuner buttons to camel bone and the pins to vintage dyed bone with red insets, both for cosmetics reasons. I changed the nut to bone to re-cut the slots to give wider string spacing; I changed the saddle to WAHI b/c I had one, and I think the sound deepened and mellowed, but got a bit better separation. I usually string it with mediums, EJ-17, Red Brand, GHS, but   The latest change was to string it with DR Rares, which have become my favorite string for thuis box  first 13's, and now 12's which I think give it a more open sound on top while not really effecting the bass.  I think the biggest change in sound is from playing it - alot.

hey cke-
a couple of questions: with the dr rares, are you saying that the 12's give a more open sound vs. the 13's or were you comparing it to the other strings?  any idea of how long they last?
also, when stringing with mediums, the pros you get more volume and stays in tune better but the con is it's harder to play, right?  am i missing something else?  i ask just because others have recommended the ej16's but i see you use the 17's.  i know they're kind of cheap and i could try both but then i'm kind of cheap so if i can learn without spending extra money i'd rather do that!  i can use the extra $5 for my wahi saddle fund!   :laughin:

Quote from: Strings4Him on July 25, 2011, 04:23:45 PM
I hope someone buys that OO-03R Short-Scale at LA Guitar Sales.  It is tempting me too much  :crying:

it definitely is an interesting guitar, that's for sure! 

Quote from: bobsnob on July 20, 2011, 06:34:21 PM
At Guitar Intensives last year, I got a lot of comments about how good my FIV sounded.  Several people mentioned that it was much louder than they expected.

Now that I've got the problems worked out, it's become one of my favourite guitars.  Comfortable to play, lots of volume, and a wonderful sound.  I tend to keep mine in drop D tuning.  There seems to be a resonance on the D, which sounds great.  A really deep bass which I wouldn't expect from a guitar this size.

I would like a short scale version of the FIV, though.  And a pyramid bridge.  And a slotted headstock.  Oh well.  Can't have everything.

Gordon

Hey Gordon, I thought I'd share this beauty with you but maybe you have seen it!

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4095/Larrivee_00-09K_93.htm

Quote from: gregg on July 25, 2011, 04:42:08 PM
hey cke-
a couple of questions: with the dr rares, are you saying that the 12's give a more open sound vs. the 13's or were you comparing it to the other strings?  any idea of how long they last?
also, when stringing with mediums, the pros you get more volume and stays in tune better but the con is it's harder to play, right?  am i missing something else?  i ask just because others have recommended the ej16's but i see you use the 17's.  i know they're kind of cheap and i could try both but then i'm kind of cheap so if i can learn without spending extra money i'd rather do that!  i can use the extra $5 for my wahi saddle fund!   :laughin:

Strings are a pretty individual choice. I like the Rares better than the EJ's. They are a bit less bright, and have a very warm tone that I really like on the 00-03 better than any other string I have tried. DR strings are designated in a different way, as they claim their wrapping is tighter so the weight is heavier for a given diameter. Whatever, they are also lower tension compared to say the D'Addario's or Martin's. I like the meatier sound and depth  of mediums, but on this guitar, I find I play with a lighter touch and like the lighter sound and touch of the Rare 12's compared to the Rare 13's. Not sure that makes sense. I would probably try it with EJ 16's if I went back, but I am very happy with what I am using now. I get long life out of most strings, and the DR's are lasting me a couple of months or more; new ones sound more lively and brighter.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: Frasier1 on July 25, 2011, 05:12:51 PM
Hey Gordon, I thought I'd share this beauty with you but maybe you have seen it!

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4095/Larrivee_00-09K_93.htm

:ohmy: oh my word, that is simply jaw droppingly beautiful.... (and expensive)

QuoteIf you mean this one than it is fabulous. I snagged one of Ted's 00-03's with short scale and cutaway last year and it hasn't been back in it's case yet. The short scale makes it a joy to play and it really does warm things up. My cousin is visiting me this coming weekend and I plan on taking him down to LA Guitar Sales to check the 00-03R out. Looks clean and it has some worthwhile upgrades.

Quoteit definitely is an interesting guitar, that's for sure!

I got my OO-03R a few months ago, and cannot put it down! And unless I ever aquire a great D-18, I don't know that I will ever purchase another 14 fret guitar.  I've been converted to the 12 fret sound.  My OOO-18 has been neglected ever since.  Someone needs to snag this one before its gone, thats for sure.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

QuoteI got my OO-03R a few months ago, and cannot put it down! And unless I ever aquire a great D-18, I don't know that I will ever purchase another 14 fret guitar.  I've been converted to the 12 fret sound.  My OOO-18 has been neglected ever since.  Someone needs to snag this one before its gone, thats for sure.

It looks like I got a stellar deal on my 00-03r judging by what this one is going for.  :drool:

Quote from: cke on July 25, 2011, 08:46:13 PM
Strings are a pretty individual choice. I like the Rares better than the EJ's. They are a bit less bright, and have a very warm tone that I really like on the 00-03 better than any other string I have tried. DR strings are designated in a different way, as they claim their wrapping is tighter so the weight is heavier for a given diameter. Whatever, they are also lower tension compared to say the D'Addario's or Martin's. I like the meatier sound and depth  of mediums, but on this guitar, I find I play with a lighter touch and like the lighter sound and touch of the Rare 12's compared to the Rare 13's. Not sure that makes sense. I would probably try it with EJ 16's if I went back, but I am very happy with what I am using now. I get long life out of most strings, and the DR's are lasting me a couple of months or more; new ones sound more lively and brighter.

thanks, cke!  sounding less bright with a warm tone sounds good to me.  i think in time i will try the others but this will give me someplace to start with.