Larrivee Mahogany Guitar

Started by Greg Curtis, July 20, 2011, 02:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone have any opinions on the best sounding Mahogany guitar Larrivee makes.
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp
May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead...

Can you tell us what kind of playing you do?
Are you a strummer or a fingerstylist?
If you play the blues a small bodied guitar like a parlor or an OM would be great.
The L-05 with or w/o a mahogany top is a really wonderful guitar. I had one of these but I sold it, but not because I didn't like it. Just got GAS for something else.
I play lots of old tunes from the Civil War era and I really enjoy playing them on an SD-50 with a hog top.
Quick little numbers sound great on my OM-50.
I have a P-05 hogtop that I really love, too.

I strum & play fingerstyle also. Enjoy playing soft rock from the 60's & 70's. I was thinking SD-50 but wanted some opinions just the same. Already own a L-03R & love it so Larrivee would be my choice for my next guitar.
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R

Quote from: Greg Curtis on July 20, 2011, 03:07:52 PM
I strum & play fingerstyle also. Enjoy playing soft rock from the 60's & 70's. I was thinking SD-50 but wanted some opinions just the same. Already own a L-03R & love it so Larrivee would be my choice for my next guitar.
Yes, I can imagine the SD-50 for soft rock. This guitar is so rich, and deep and full and sonorous, but I do have trouble playing fast runs, scales & arpeggios on it, which might not be an issue for you with this style of music.

D-05. At least if you get one as good as the one I got.

Since you said strum as well as fingerstyle -- I agree maybe a D-03/5 to go with the rosewood L.
L-03 Italian Spruce

I offer for consideration the 000-50, which still to me is the finest sounding mahogany guitar I ever tried. Bar none.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on July 20, 2011, 05:41:08 PM
I offer for consideration the 000-50, which still to me is the finest sounding mahogany guitar I ever tried. Bar none.

my opinion in this thread woulda been a 00-03 (especially if he's "vertically challenged" like me) but seeing as you own a 00 and still picked the 000, i am curious, how would you compare the sound to your 00-03se? 

Quote from: gregg on July 20, 2011, 06:27:38 PM
my opinion in this thread woulda been a 00-03 (especially if he's "vertically challenged" like me) but seeing as you own a 00 and still picked the 000, i am curious, how would you compare the sound to your 00-03se? 
I played one on a remarkable day that I played a SD -50 (even deeper, but still very responsive for fingerstyle) and the 00-03SE that I bought. The 000 is bigger than the 00 and the sound is deeper and fuller, with a fabulous eveness and  that great Larrivee balance.  There is also a tremendous richness and responsiveness. My own 00 has improved a lot with playing, and has acquired more of those qualities as well, but... 

I chose the 00 as I was in the market for a small body.  It has been great and getting better. (I consider P's 0's and 00's as small, I think of 000/OM's as mediums sized and the D, L, SD, and J's as large guitars)  I still think
I made the right choice for me as I already have a great L body. I wanted a guitar that would be different in character so I wanted mahogany and small. Now my L has edged  out serious consideration for either a D  or OM, and the 00 rivals a lot of other brand OM's I have tried.  I got the P-09 b/c I couldn't resist it   :wink:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I have a D-05 and  a OOO-50, love both and still say the D-05.   :smile: 

So I take it that you guys think a D-05 Mahogany is a better all around guitar than the SD-50 then..
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R

Quote from: Greg Curtis on July 25, 2011, 02:36:32 PM
So I take it that you guys think a D-05 Mahogany is a better all around guitar than the SD-50 then..

Some of us would think that...not me though.  I'd take an SD-50 over a D-05 if for nothing other than the fact that the SD has a wider fretboard. 

Quote from: Greg Curtis on July 25, 2011, 02:36:32 PM

An unqualified yes from me.

yep, but, and there always seems to be one. Bone it up and have a good talk with a good tech about settin' 'er up. Gotta make it yours! :nana_guitar
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

I think it comes down to preference for the nut width.  For me, the SD-50 offers ample room for fingerstyle and strumming.  Plus, the SD-50 has that rich 12-fret tone.  Lastly, the SD-50 does not have as large a body as the D-05.

OK thanks guys..
Greg
Gibson J45 Custom
Larrivee L-03R