Some concern about my D03 R

Started by crewdog151, November 27, 2008, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

About a month ago I noticed the action was a bit higher and my Beloved 03 just didn't play as well. To make this short and sweet, I expressed my concern about this to the dealer I bought it from and he said its was the change in humidity... Well, I'm obsessed with the humidity in my house and it has stayed constant. But since I figured he knew more than I, I just did as he suggested and waited for it to "come back". It hasn't changed and I'm becoming more concerned.
Heres my question, is it possible for the neck to have moved? To my untrained eye it looks as though the angle is different, and at this point the guitar plays nothing like it did when I bought it.... Has anyone else ran into this problem? Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance.,
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, and Today is a gift!!
08 D03R
95 Fender Tele
Yamaha FG 411 CE

Did he actually see the guitar? If it's brand new, it could be contracting wihich is normal and has nothing to do with humidity. I have one made in Sept. of this year, for example and I fully expect to have the saddle adjusted (I put a bone one in) as the guitar does what new guitars do. One of the things my luthier said in response to "How will I know when it needs adjusting?' Is that it would sound crappy.

Obviously, there is an issue (if it walks like a duck...) I'd take it in to your local shop and have it adjusted. Necks move, truss rods need adjusting, saddles need shimming or shaving, basic intonation, I've yet to find a guitar that didn't need a good tune up on occasion.

If it is someting more serious, like a new guitar with a defect (I don't know), then you want to get it to a luthier asap and get that documented.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

It's highly unlikely the neck joint has moved. What's the humidity at?

When you say 'neck moved' do you mean the fretboard angle is not straight or is slanted or that the actual whole neck looks off? The join is still tight, I'm assuming.

When I hear high action and crappy sound I think truss rod or saddle, two very easy fixes. If we are talking about the neck 'body' as a whole, that's out of my league.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

I keep the Rh at 40-55% at all times. And no he didn't actually see the guitar, but I think he will tomorrow. I had a problem with the intonation when it was brand new and he installed a new bone saddle then, so I'm not sure what could have changed since. Ive had it for about 4 months now. Hopefully its not serious because until recently its been the absolute best guitar I've ever owned....BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!!!
08 D03R
95 Fender Tele
Yamaha FG 411 CE

well it's not the humidity but the tech should be able to tell you what the problem is. If it looks like the neck angle is different it might be the neck relief.

Ok, taking to the tech tomorrow, Thanks for the replies, RB :donut :donut :coffee
08 D03R
95 Fender Tele
Yamaha FG 411 CE