Larrivee OO size

Started by JohnM2001, July 31, 2010, 11:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larrivee OO size, like the Forum IV guitars, are they the same size as a Martin OO?  When I look at the pics of the F-IV, it looks smaller than the Martin OO-18 I used to own.  I know, I know, they say the F-IVs are cannons, but I just have a hard time believing they could be as loud as an OM, since, to me, they look only slightly bigger than a parlor, and no parlor has ever sounded big enough for me to want one.  Size matters  
:humour:
D-02E

I believe someone made size comparison prior and will likely again provide the exact measures of both side by side.

This guitar is really really surprising for it's size. Anyone know why :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JohnM2001 on July 31, 2010, 11:08:23 PM
The Larrivee OO size, like the Forum IV guitars, are they the same size as a Martin OO?  When I look at the pics of the F-IV, it looks smaller than the Martin OO-18 I used to own.  I know, I know, they say the F-IVs are cannons, but I just have a hard time believing they could be as loud as an OM, since, to me, they look only slightly bigger than a parlor, and no parlor has ever sounded big enough for me to want one.  Size matters  

I've recently played several OM's and trust me, the F-IV is louder. The placement of the bridge in the sweet spot really gives the tone and volume a whole different quality than the OM's. Just checked Martin's website and their OO is about the same size as Larrivee's.

I had a chance to play a Martin 00-18 12 fret recently, and it was really nice, had the same projection and volume as the F-IV. I really liked it, not as much as my F-IV, but it was nice.

Martin OO        14 fret         12 fret           F-IV
Total Length    38 5/8"       37 3/4"          38.5"
Body Length    18 7/8"       19 5/8"           19.25"      
Body Width    14 5/16"       14 1/8"          14"
Body Depth    4 1/8"          4 1/16"            4"

:thumbsup
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Martin 00-14 fret
24.9"      Scale
18-7/8"   Body Length
10-7/8"   Upper Bout
14-5/16" Lower Bout
4-1/8"     Depth

Martin 00-12 fret
24.9"     Scale
19-5/8"  Body Length
9-3/4"    Upper bout
14-1/8"  Lower Bout
4-1/16"  Depth

Larrivee 00-12 fret
25.5"     Scale (24.75" for custom runs)
19-1/2"  Body Length
10-1/8"  Upper Bout
14-1/8"  Lower Bout
4-1/4"    Depth

Looks like the Larrivee 12 fret and Martin 12 fret 00's are pretty close in size - Martin is slightly thinner and has a smaller upper bout.  The Martin 00-14 seems wider but shorter due to the 14 fret join.

EDIT - jp beat me to it.
'00 Martin D-16GT | '03 Gibson J-45 | '10 Larrivee 00-03R

Quote from: Wepeel on July 31, 2010, 11:34:46 PM

Larrivee 00-12 fret
24-3/4"  Scale

I didn't check any of the other dimensions, but my 00-03 has a 25.5" scale.

Ed

Quote from: eded on August 01, 2010, 12:10:09 AM
I didn't check any of the other dimensions, but my 00-03 has a 25.5" scale.

Ed
Oops, my mistake - I pulled the specs from the current run of custom short scale 00's from LA Guitar Sales.  You are correct that they are usually 25.5".  I will edit my post.
'00 Martin D-16GT | '03 Gibson J-45 | '10 Larrivee 00-03R

Oh, I know the problem, I was thinking of my previously owned Martin OO-18, which was a 14 fret.  The 12  fret OO does look alot different.  Still looks small to my eye, and the cannon thing?  I guess I'll just have to take your word for it until I can try one.

D-02E

Quote from: JohnM2001 on August 01, 2010, 06:53:30 AM
Oh, I know the problem, I was thinking of my previously owned Martin OO-18, which was a 14 fret.  The 12  fret OO does look alot different.  Still looks small to my eye, and the cannon thing?  I guess I'll just have to take your word for it until I can try one.

That looks more like a Larrivee parlor to me that a 00  :?

Quote from: PCT57 on August 01, 2010, 07:36:15 AM
That looks more like a Larrivee parlor to me that a 00  :?

Now that you mention it...   

I need to go open a couple cases (uhm...  guitar cases.).  :bgrin:

Ed

Quote from: JohnM2001 on July 31, 2010, 11:08:23 PM

I'm sitting with a no-name parlor in my lap.  My guess it's from the 1920's or earlier.  Pretty typical for the type except a little shallower than any I've seen before.  A little over 12" at the lower bout.  It is clearly the loudest guitar I've ever played!  Doesn't have the bass of a large guitar.  Doesn't have the sweetness most would want, but it's cutting and projection will make your jaw drop.  I'm not qualified to say why - I don't believe it's overstressed (at least it's held up well for all these years.  Does have it's original metal saddle.  I think it's perfect for ragtime and it couldn't be more comfortable, but certainly not for everyone.

I agree that size matters, but in my experience there are exceptions.

Here's a pic of a 00 and parlor (along with my Go Type IV).  That other pic looks like a lacewood parlor.  To me, that is.

Ed

Here's a 12-fret Martin 00, which is closer in body shape to Larrivee's 00.

Gits: 2004 P-01K, 2005 OM-03MT
Uke: Kala KA-ASKS with Larrivee Flamed Koa
Chops: fingerstyle noob

Quote from: norton on August 01, 2010, 08:07:44 AM

I agree that size matters, but in my experience there are exceptions.

In some beginner and some bluegrass song circles I've had volume troubles with my (orig. issue) Larrivee Parlor but not often.  Usually it has more to do with the other players being unskilled in dynamics or just plain obnoxious.  (grin)  As in, "Oh yeah, I'm playing with other people."  That said, I'm amazed at how much louder the 00 is.  Nothing a little change in technique won't compensate for, though.  Unlike dreads, which I find unplayable anymore.

Ed

I never would have pegged myself as a small body player.  I still remember seeing 00 size guitars and thinking, "No way could I play something that small!"

The OO-50 was easy to play, comfy and best of all, sounded like a dream.  Then, I wanted to get into the FIII (very happy I did) so there was no need for 2 spruce/mahogany guitars.  Then, the FIV came along, again, VERY happy!  The 00 has the advantage of the longer scale but a smaller body.  No, it doesn't have the bass of a dread or even an L, but it's a punchy sound.  Everything is balanced, nothing overpowering. 

00-03MT

OO-50