First Build - Part 5...'The END!' *More Audio Added 03/23

Started by jeremy3220, February 19, 2009, 10:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That just looks so nice, and the sound is great - Every time I see a guitar someone has made for themself, it just makes me want to try building one too.

Have you figured out what the next one is going to be yet? Maybe you can build the Forum IV sample model -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on March 24, 2009, 10:55:35 AM
That just looks so nice, and the sound is great - Every time I see a guitar someone has made for themself, it just makes me want to try building one too.

Have you figured out what the next one is going to be yet? Maybe you can build the Forum IV sample model -

Tad

Thanks Tad. No, I don't know what the next will be. I've got a lot going on right now. I'm thinking about a 12fret dread maybe or an OM.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 20, 2009, 03:55:32 AM
Thanks guys.

limnephilidae, I used TruOil and I sealed the top with shellac before applying the TruOil.

The finish looks great. I'm having a guitar built and the builder (Nehemiah Covey / Covey's Guitars) offers three finish options: Tru-Oil, water-based polyurethane, and nitro.

You seem to have gotten quite a nice sheen out of Tru-Oil. How do you like Tru-Oil as a finish? Will it harden to provide good protection?

Don't mean to hijack your thread but am interested in your perspective.

Thanks,
Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

The Tru-Oil is cool because you can apply it by hand and put it on very thin. To be honest though, I would prefer nitro if the person knew what they were doing. The TruOil will mark and scratch much easier than nitro. I took my fingernail and ran it about half an inch and with barely any pressure marked the finish. It does harden but not as hard as nitro or most poly's. It is easily repairable though unlike most poly finishes and I'm not hard on finishes so most of the scratches will able to be buffed out. Personally I'd go for nitro on the body and Tru-Oil on the neck. It makes a great feeling neck finish that is glossy but not sticky. It's important to get input from the builder most of all though.

Thanks, Jeremy. It will have Tru-Oil on the neck. I'm leaning towards the water-based poly for the body. I was considering the Tru-Oil for the body, but you confirmed what I had suspected.

Enjoy your special build. You can be justly satisfied with it. That's a great job. Hat's off to you.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Jeremy:

I haven't been to the forum much of late, but just happened to check in on this section.  I can't see the pics from this computer (just little red Xs), but will log on when I'm at home where I'll be able to see them -- can't wait to see the finished product!  Just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your playing.  I can hear the Norman Blake influence loud and clear!  The guitar sounds wonderful to my ear, and you nailed Blake's tone IMO.  Nice work! 

Thanks creature, I really appreciate it. I'd be lying if I didn't admit the guitar he plays on 'Whiskey Before Breakfast' influenced how I built my guitar. Norman Blake's playing is special I think. He has a way of making each note stand out and mean something.

Well, I did get to see the pics of it --- NICE WORK!  I really love the traditional look you went for.  That's a keeper.  And I really do mean the thing about Blake's tone; you really have captured the essense of it, both with the guitar and your playing style.  It has a nice dry sound, not too much in the lower end, and not too much in the higher end, but rather a "sparkling" and vibrant mid-range that allows, like you said, for each note to be heard ringing out and standing on its own.  How does it act when you really dig in for some hard strumming?  I bet the low-end wakes up and really rumbles. 

I saw Norman and Nancy about, gosh, 15+ years ago at the Delmarva Folk Festival. It is a small fest that draws 500-1000 over the weekend.  I sat 15 feet in front of them and was in absolute AWE! Norman may not be the fastest flatpicker ever, but I have to say he is my favorite flat-picker and in my top three for greatest to ever pluck strings of any type. I think the best compliment I can bestow on him, with my limited descriptors, is his playing is truly HONEST! Norman and Nancy hung around before and after their set and chatted and told many anecdotes. They are truly wonderful and creative human beings.

Quote from: the creature on April 06, 2009, 09:06:02 AM
  How does it act when you really dig in for some hard strumming?  I bet the low-end wakes up and really rumbles. 

Thanks. The recordings don't capture the low end well and that's really where I notice the streaming audio diminish the integrity of the original recording, it cuts a noticable amount out of the low end. The guitar has plenty of low end, much more than my OM's. It might lack in the 200-400Hz where it would give the guitar more body/fullness but it doesn't lack at all in the really low ranges. It seems to have really good headroom and dynamics. It sounds better when you dig in. I guess that's to be expected somewhat from an Adi topped dread. Sometimes I'll notice my ears ringing slightly after playing for a few minutes so power is not one place where this guitar is lacking. It's far from being perfect though. I think I said earlier it maybe great... I think it turned out well for a first guitar and it does sound good but not great. I learned a lot though.

GA-ME, your lucky I still haven't had a chance to see him live.

Guitar sounds good! Very cool.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.