Intro From a New Member

Started by Capefear, March 03, 2017, 04:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,

Just wanted to do a quick intro - I am from North Carolina, and happened across this forum recently while researching the L-40 and 000-40.  Once upon a time I had an OM-09, but sold it back in the 90's during one of my famous "I'm nothing but a ham-fisted, no-talent lurch, and I'm never playing again" phases.....

...(sigh)...Since that time the kids have grown and I have time to play.  I've owned a number of (mostly Tacoma) products - great guitars if the finish stays attached - and currently studying / playing  on a Martin Rosie dread. Nice Martin sound, but frankly, the lower registers sort of collide with themselves from time to time, and its size gets a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours - which brings me back to the Larrivee's.....I do love the Martin OM-28 EC, but not $3600.00 worth - and I think the Larrivee OM, 000, or 'L' may fit the bill. If I could find a great guitar that has healthy bottom end and good balance, is affordable and is still comfortable to play for long periods  -- well, that would be something!

I am seriously considering hunting down another OM-09, or maybe going to the new 12-fret 000-40.  I've also been really curious about the L series and would love to play one -- but unfortunately, here in Eastern NC there are only two dealers -- and neither one of 'em have any Larrivees in stock right now. (well, one of 'em has a D-03, but I'm looking at smaller bodies to handle while sitting).  Trying to avoid the old 'buy online and hope for the best' routine, I hope to gain some insight here since I don't seem to be able to find any Larrivees to play before I buy one.

Thanks for the time, sorry for the long-windedness, and if you folks have any advice for an aging curmudgeon who is on the verge of 'The Big Time'  :wink:, Please let me know!

.... and, btw, I grabbed a donut!!  :donut2 :donut

Thanks!!!
CF

"May your number of practice hours always exceed your number of posts."

Welcome! Never having played a OOO model, I can't comment on one. But I do own one of the new Legacy OM-40M's, and my comment on it is "WOW!!!" Of course, that's how I feel about my LV, too.
Good luck in your search.
And BTW, I bought the LV over the phone from Wildwood Music. Don and Marty are fantastic to deal with.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Thanks for the Welcome!  Regarding the LV - Is it comfortable to play for a long time with that 4.75" body depth and Dread-sized lower bout? .....

I am also sort of entranced by the 000-40 - I'm playing about 90% fingerstyle, maybe this 12-fret will complement my playing style? A tad concerned about not being able to get to 14th fret (but then again, I rarely go past 8th -10th position)....

Welcome CF! Larrivee's tend to be one of the most consistent guitar Manufacturer's out there. I had purchase a D03 locally and after joining the forum discovered a few very reputable online sites that have very good options available in the Larrivee product line. I purchased a new OM-03-M online from Notable Guitars and I couldn't be happier wit my choice. I think you as many others her would fare pretty good if you were to chose the online option
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

Quote from: Capefear on March 03, 2017, 05:43:44 AM
Thanks for the Welcome!  Regarding the LV - Is it comfortable to play for a long time with that 4.75" body depth and Dread-sized lower bout? .....

I am also sort of entranced by the 000-40 - I'm playing about 90% fingerstyle, maybe this 12-fret will complement my playing style? A tad concerned about not being able to get to 14th fret (but then again, I rarely go past 8th -10th position)....

Yes, the L is very comfortable to me, and also is very responsive to both fingerpicking and strumming. But then again, so is the OM. I do wish I had a 12 fret though, and will someday.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Several folks around here give the 000-40 high marks for volume and tone. I read somewhere that the internal volume of a 000 is the same as that of a dreadnaught - an interesting stat.  Do a search and you'll find some comments about either the Larrivee 000 or 000-40 / 000-40R.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I think the OOO and the LS(V) are the most comfortable body depths for me to play sitting down....

Welcome!
George

Great introduction, and welcome.

Given the information you provided, and assumptions on my part, I think another OM, 000, or an LS model would be your best choice.  If a Dread seems too big for you and is uncomfortable, then an L-model Larrivee might also be an issue.  I don't have any experience with a 000 model but my understanding is it wouldn't be much different from an OM in terms of body size, and therefore. comfort in playing.  As far as 12 vs 14-fret you have to decide how important it is to be able to access the higher frets easily.  My logic tells me that a 14-fret neck makes it a moot point if you must have access to higher frets. The only reason I can see for going to a 12-fret neck is if, by chance, it improves the tone so much that is worth sacrificing the loss of access to the higher frets.

There are other members who will hopefully chime in.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thanks all!

I think I need to look at the 000, it's a touch deeper than the OM - folks say it has a very nice bottom end for its size.

Thanks for the welcome!

Capefear:

You and I are from the same generation.

I would encourage you to find a way to play a 000 12 fret or a 00 to see how it feels. You might also want to look at the Larrivees that Wildwood Music in Ohio has on their web page. 

Here's something else to consider. Short scale. I have a Larrivee Parlor (Flamed Maple) and a custom Martin 000 (Mahogany) that are both 12 fret guitars. They are both short scale and the playability of these two 12 fretters has made me a believer. If you can't find a short scale Larrivee to try, see if you can special order one and find out what the price would be. If not, try the Martin 00-17 12 fret (Available in Black Smoke or Whiskey Sunset) or a 000-15 12 Fret. (Both Short Scale) and about half the cost of the EC OM-28 you referenced in your original post.

In closing, my Larrivee 12 string is a 14 fret and was a special order and I added a mahogany top and a cutaway to a standard L model. I travel up there from time to time but I don't find any limitations with any of my 12 or 14 fret non cutaway guitars. As you can see from my list, I have a little bit of everything including the 2 customs (Both referenced above) that were a leap of faith since I had no way of knowing how they would sound until I took delivery. I am happy with everything I have.

Good luck with your search.

Welcome!

Those L bodies are hard to resist.  The LS body is approximately the dimensions of a regular classical guitar body, the L is slightly larger if you are wondering what the body shape and feel is like.  In fact, I think that is why I love my LSV-11 so much, as I started out on classical.  Good luck on your search!
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin