Is there a Guitar that changed your life

Started by JOYCEfromNS, December 07, 2015, 06:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: jpmist on October 24, 2016, 09:50:01 AM
Well, no, but my tastes in guitars was dramatically changed by the Forum IV I got some years ago. Prior to that I had a Taylor 312 which I was perfectly happy with. (I kinda wish I still had it, the resonance on that guitar was amazing) It had a cutaway, spruce top and mahogany back and was my second Taylor concert sized mahogany guitar going on 20 years and it pretty much defined in my "minds ear" what I liked about guitar tone and playability.

The tone of the F-IV was huge to me primarily because it was a 12 fret and I really enjoyed the increased mid-range and bass it had. It lacked some of the sweetness I associate with a spruce top and I never really bonded with it due to it's high action I could never fix so it's gone now, but was replaced by two other OO sized Larrivee's which I play the hell out of to this day. So spoiled by my 12 fret Larrivee's that without fail, every 14 fret guitar I pick up sounds "meh" to me now.

A side note, I wonder sometimes if my affection for 12 fret tone is due to my extremely crappy hearing. Perhaps my guitars sound to me what a normal 14 fret guitar sounds to someone with good hearing. . .

Twelve fret, small body Larrivees changed what I like in a guitar. Three of my four Larrivees are 12 fret, O, OO, & OOO.
    But ironically  it's the old D-02 that gets most of the attention these days.

I do agree that no guitar "changed my life". But Bonnie did,  when she came into my life, and again when she left.

BTW.  My LS  is basically a Martin OOO  sized guitar,  so that's what I call it. I have two other 000 guitars and the LS is the same basic size.

Mine would be a Fender 3/4 size Squier plywood guitar that I bought for my 9 year old son to start lessons with.  It wouldn't stay in tune for more than a day, but it is what got my whole family into playing music.  I went to my son's guitar lesson with him.  Though he was the only one taking lessons, I practiced more.  Now we have 3 guitarists in the family, one drummer and one uke player.  All started with the Squier. 

It was my high school girlfriend's 60s era Martin. I don't think she ever let me play it, nor did I know how, but it got me started on this long and crazy diversion. Flash forward to 2006 and my Taylor 455. I no longer own it, but it reinvigorated me and began a love affair with Taylors which persists....

i found a guild f 20 when i was around 18. 1963 i think. it was a bit roughed up but no cracks or structural issues for $120 .  i statred playing every day because of it and never stopped.

That Martin D42 I brought home put me in the garage for a few nights. That was quite a change. 😳

Kidding. The new Legacy OM and 000 I recently bought has changed me into a GAS free man. That's REALLY a change.
Rb

It was an Esteban HSN guitar that got me back into guitars. It's no wonder all other guitars have sounded great to me :)