Gibson's New Self Tuning Guitar

Started by doctor_gogol, December 03, 2007, 01:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.rawstory.com/news/mochila/Gibson_shows_new_self_tuning_guitar_12032007.html

Musicians of the world are getting a new kind of artistic freedom with technology that eliminates the challenging chore of tuning.

Robotics technology developed by German company Tronical Gmbh in partnership with Gibson Guitar Corp. enables Gibson's newest Les Paul model to tune itself in about two seconds.

For users who purchase the add-on technology, the guitar recognizes pitch. Then, its processor directs motors on its six tuning pegs to tighten or loosen the strings accordingly. Tronical has offered its "Powertune System" online and through retailers in Germany since March, according to the company's Web site.

The Gibson Les Paul guitar model with Blue Silverburst finish goes on sale globally Dec. 7.

Nashville, Tenn., guitar maker Gibson and Tronical said Powertune is the world's first self-tuning technology, and Gibson says it is particularly useful for beginners, who tend to find tuning a headache.

Musician Ichiro Tanaka, who tuned and played a sample guitar at Gibson's Tokyo office Monday, said the technology is handy for professionals too. If they use special tuning for just part of a concert, as he often does, it means they don't have to lug around an extra guitar with the second tuning ready.

"It's more than just convenience," said Tanaka, of Japan. "It's a feature I really appreciate."

The Les Paul Silverburst model is to cost about $2,780 in Japan and $2,499 in the U.S., with self-tuning offered for $900 extra.

Powertune is also listed online for 899 euros, about $600, and Tronical says it can be installed on many different models of electric guitars without leaving a mark.

Gibson guitars with the technology come preset with six types of tuning to play different kinds of music. They also can remember a player's additional original tuning styles, by listening with a microphone to the sounds of the strings.

To set the instrument to a particular tuning, the user pulls a knob, turns it to the desired style, indicated with a blue light, and then pushes the knob back in. An electric signal travels up the strings to the motors on the tuning pegs. The system is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery.

Gibson hopes to sell 4,000 of the first limited-edition "robot guitars" worldwide, with 10 percent of those sales expected in Japan, said Yasuhiko Iwanade, president of Gibson Guitar Corp. Japan.

"Robots are very popular in Japan. So this is something that matches the developments here these days. It's a technology that Japanese can understand," he said.

Gibson has a history of innovating with guitars that fits well with robotics technology, Iwanade said.

Just saw that on Yahoo...

I still remember a time not so long ago, before electronic tuners and getting tabs off the internet when guitarists had to use something called their "ears", you know, those things on the side of your head?

I had a A=440 tuning fork.  I'd tune the A string and then use it to tune the low E and the D, then the D for G, the G for the B...etc...probably why I have an electronic tuner today but never tune more than one string with it.

And all this was not that long ago. 

Now, they have guitars that tune themselves...I feel like a dinosaur and I'm only 40 years old!

QuoteGibson says it is particularly useful for beginners, who tend to find tuning a headache.

Beginners are the last people who should be using these guitars. It's only use should be for live performance.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 03, 2007, 03:20:09 PM
Beginners are the last people who should be using these guitars. It's only use should be for live performance.

Agreed!

Or in the studio.

Quote from: doctor_gogol on December 03, 2007, 03:27:42 PM
Agreed!

Or in the studio.

The reasons I didn't include studio use are:
1: you can use a tuner just as well
2: Not everyone wants the guitar to be tuned perfectly with open strings, remember no guitar has perfect intonation.
3: Some may want the 5th string slightly sharp... or some other variation.

I assume you mean that beginners should learn how to tune their own guitars? Wouldn't this make that whole concept, obsolete? It sure would make things easier for anyone listening anyway. Now for violins.     

I think it's pretty lame.  :yak:

What's next....a guitar that plays all by itself?   :wacko:

Quote from: the creature on December 03, 2007, 07:36:04 PM

What's next....a guitar that plays all by itself?   :wacko:

Or even, guitarists playing them for us? Or playing their own guitars and charging money to listen to them?  I'm old enough to remember the days when we entertained ourselves... blah blah blah.  (no offense intended)

Guy's get over it. Tuners, like calculators, are a blessing.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 03, 2007, 08:23:57 PM
Or even, guitarists playing them for us? Or playing their own guitars and charging money to listen to them?  I'm old enough to remember the days when we entertained ourselves... blah blah blah.  (no offense intended)

Guy's get over it. Tuners, like calculators, are a blessing.
Nice spin. People playing for us or being paid to play is not even close to being in the same league here.  Learning to tune the guitar is part of learning to play the guitar. 

And, for what it's worth, I don't use calculators. 

Quote from: the creature on December 03, 2007, 10:03:10 PM
Learning to tune the guitar is part of learning to play the guitar. 

I agree of course and that's where tuners give us a leg up and save years of futzing around hoping it's in tune. Imagine, years of sounding like crap without a tuner, or years of pleasure and learning how it is supposed to sound. We all get it sooner or later.

Before tuners, I dare say all music students for a long while relied on their teachers to tune their instruments and/ or check for accuracy. Tuners are just a modern form of teacher, and a lot cheaper.

On the other hand, if you can't hear if it's in tune or not, no problem, play on brother! Just close the door to your room :laughin:

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 03, 2007, 10:50:50 PM
I agree of course but if you can't hear if it's in tune, how will you know?  :laughin:

That's where tuners give us a leg up and save years of futzing around hoping it's in tune. Imagine, years of sounding like crap without a tuner, or years of pleasure and learning how it is supposed to sound. Before tuners, I dare say all music students for a long while relied on their teachers to tune their instruments and/ or check for accuracy.

Well, the issue really isn't tuners.  I own a tuner and I'm sure that most musicians do.  But a guitar that tunes itself is not the same as owning a tuner.  I'm only surprised the Taylor didn't come out with it instead of Gibson.  But no matter who makes it it's lame. 

Quote from: the creature on December 03, 2007, 10:55:41 PM
Well, the issue really isn't tuners.  I own a tuner and I'm sure that most musicians do.  But a guitar that tunes itself is not the same as owning a tuner.  I'm only surprised the Taylor didn't come out with it instead of Gibson.  But no matter who makes it it's lame. 

Point taken, but most people tooling around on guitars at home, like me, are not likely to go very far and the technology could just add to the fun by appealing to our lazy streaks. Call it lame if you must.

What got my attention is the price of the damn system and I bet they break easy too.

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 03, 2007, 11:12:02 PM
Point taken, but most people tooling around on guitars at home, like me, are not likely to go very far and the technology could just add to the fun by appealing to our lazy streaks. Call it lame if you must.

What got my attention is the price of the damn system and I bet they break easy too.

Don't make it personal.  I didn't say you were lame.  Said it was. 

Now, go tune your guitar.   :wave

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 03, 2007, 03:20:09 PM

Agree. Learning to tune is important. Plus if you never learn to tune, how are you ever going to learn to really tweak it in by offsetting like you said in later post. It took me forever to even start using electronic tuner but finally gave in for ease and speed. But after I use it, I finish by ear generally lowering B and A and using fretted notes up the neck. If recording I may tune for what key song is in as well. I don't like the idea of self tuners except MAYBE live. Maybe some out of predjudice, but you should know how to tune by self and listen. It can be learned. I guess some people who always used tuners from start don't even know to listen for beating, wah-wah-wah when out.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

As I think someone said above, the big advantage of this system is stage use.  Anyone who plays in a band will have encountered the situation where, due to the humidity in the room or whatever, you can't keep your guitar in tune, even with a stage tuner.  Of course some tweaking will probably still be necessary.

The other interesting thing about it is its ability to automatically retune the guitar to various altered tunings.  That's far superior to systems like the Variax that give you fake (i.e. electronically modified) altered tunings.  This guitar will actually put you into another tuning basically at the flick of a switch.  Anyone who has to bring an extra guitar to the gig for one or two songs in another tuning will appreciate that.

All that said, I hate the aesthetics of this particular guitar.  Basic black or SG red or brown would have been much better.

And as everyone knows, Gibson electrics are impossible to keep in tune anyway....
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I graduated from tuning by ear alone to tuning along with my record player to a harmonica to a tuning fork to electronic tuners to ...
All I can say is that I've heard TOO many guitarists and other stringed instrument players who would benefit from such a device and, if for no other reason than that, I'm all for it.   

All I can say is that I've heard TOO many guitarists and other stringed instrument players who would benefit from such a device and, if for no other reason than that, I'm all for it.

Duck!  Wow, we're on the same page!

The point is, the technology is there and isn't that amazing in itself?  Look at all the "people" chatting back an forth in this internet world - where a few years ago it would be a Buck Rogers situation (that's a science fiction character "Creature").

And remember when you had to use a slide rule in school? If you got caught with with a calculator you'd fail or get suspended!

I can't imagine anyone justifying an additional $900 for a self tuner, but I think it's great that the technology is there to do it.

And in my humble opinion, anything that can help a "beginner" improve and excell, I'm all for it.  Some day (soon) this will be affordable, available and a standard instead of an option on some instruments.
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

— Arthur Schopenhauer

No surprise Roman. Usually, I'm sort of kidding but I'm serious here. I'm all for new technology, if it (and it usually does) improve things. Not a luddite bone in my body even if I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. 

QuoteAnd in my humble opinion, anything that can help a "beginner" improve and excell, I'm all for it.  Some day (soon) this will be affordable, available and a standard instead of an option on some instruments.

After all, nobody tells a piano player that he can't really play unless he can tune his instrument.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Tycho - We're having the same discussion over at the AG forum. I said basically the same thing a few minutes ago.  Great minds and all that!  :arrow