Shining up a matte headstock

Started by StringPicker6, March 19, 2024, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know there are a bunch of posts on polishing up the body of a matte finish larrivee, but has anyone ever just polished the headstock? I love the sharp way the logo appears with a gloss finish. It's also a lot less real estate to polish.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Yes, more than once on Larrivees. Some modern satins won't shine so I can't speak for them all, but if you are willing to spend a few mind numbing (and hand numbing) hours of polishing, you'll get there.

I used wet/dry paper, working up through the grits, then finishing with "Plastic X" by Meguiars. It's not as crystal clear as an 09 would be, but it can still look really nice. Just be carful as satin finishes are already thinner and you're taking a good bit of that away. Don't use a machine or you'll burn right through the corners.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I can't seem to embed photos but here's links to Larrivees I've glossed if you are interested in seeing how the results turn out. SD60 and D03R;
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a9ki4cp5pn4shx0pieq10/IMAG3123.jpg?rlkey=l87s1wzrab4m0l0io0vh89rsy&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rm4txlxwchz35mvs3t4n8/IMAG1554.jpg?rlkey=wqob2i9yjwb7ita68jahng0g5&dl=0

Stunning pictures! And that was a satin finish??
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 19, 2024, 05:27:48 PMStunning pictures! And that was a satin finish??
Thanks. Yes. The SD60 headstock was previously satin and the entire D03R was satin. I think mahogany is fine under satin but rosewood looks trapped, IMO. I once spent a year learning how to finish hot rods and motorcycles in a custom shop so sanding comes naturally.

I forgot to mention, Use a soft block/pad. Never rely on your fingertips. Wash the gunk off the sanding pad often or it will leave etches. And, be extremely mindful of the edges. Try not to put pressure on them until the end of each course.

I was actually about to delete those pics off my dropbox last week but thought, "Eh, maybe another thread about polishing up satin will come along."

Trapped is the perfect word to describe that rosewood before polishing.  I don't think I can trust myself to do a whole back like that, but I might attempt a headstock shine.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I prefer the satin finish on the back. And it sure does photograph much easier.

I've seen many buffed up satin finishes over the years and done a few myself.
Hands down, these are the finest examples, Bowie.
 :thumb

Quote from: Queequeg on March 20, 2024, 06:19:03 AMHands down, these are the finest examples, Bowie.
I completely agree, and I have been interested in reading of the various experiences in doing glossy finishes from satin. That SD-60 headstock is wonderful.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Thx for the kind words. If there's interest I'll put together a thread or maybe make up a quick video showing the materials and techniques. I'm sure everyone here is capable of doing a fine job but maybe there's some insight I can give to get it that extra smooth shine.

A tutorial would be wonderful!!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: B0WIE on March 20, 2024, 01:40:54 PMThx for the kind words. If there's interest I'll put together a thread or maybe make up a quick video showing the materials and techniques. I'm sure everyone here is capable of doing a fine job but maybe there's some insight I can give to get it that extra smooth shine.
That would be great. Material and technique will be appreciated. I imagine if I do a headstock, it would be on the L-03 laurel, cause it is my R&D guitar.
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

An r&d guitar is always handy to have
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

That looks great, and a pretty ambitious(and brave) move! 

I might be in the minority but I really like the look of a matte finish, particularly as it ages and gets naturally worn.  When a matte finish has been well-worn and exposed to the elements for many years, it ends up looking like one of those old hand-rubbed violins lots of times. I love that look. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on March 21, 2024, 08:22:34 AMThat looks great, and a pretty ambitious(and brave) move! 

I might be in the minority but I really like the look of a matte finish, particularly as it ages and gets naturally worn.  When a matte finish has been well-worn and exposed to the elements for many years, it ends up looking like one of those old hand-rubbed violins lots of times. I love that look. 
I love that look, but modern satin guitars never get that as they only get a soft gloss on the wear areas. As a big fan of wood and seeing the grain, it bothers me to see that cloudiness over beautiful wood.

I'll put together a video next week, after I get my taxes done. I'll include how to get that old, soft glow/vintage instrument look. I think hand rubbed finishes are the most beautiful and it's possible to get that vibe on a satin Larrivee.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 21, 2024, 01:57:34 PMI love that look, but modern satin guitars never get that as they only get a soft gloss on the wear areas. As a big fan of wood and seeing the grain, it bothers me to see that cloudiness over beautiful wood.

I'll put together a video next week, after I get my taxes done. I'll include how to get that old, soft glow/vintage instrument look. I think hand rubbed finishes are the most beautiful and it's possible to get that vibe on a satin Larrivee.
I am looking forward to seeing this!

I love the look of old beat up guitars, but I always end up babying my instruments and they don't get very worn.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I'm also looking forward to seeing your instructional. I have an old beat up D-16GT to experiment with.

:donut2  :donut  :donut2  :donut
Sorry.... I forgot to bring these when I posted.