C03R -TE ?

Started by gluve1, June 15, 2020, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The dream:
https://youtu.be/1-5ZcPOg4f0

For those that have this guitar, what is the measured depth of the lower bout? Website says 4.75" but my L-05 is more like 4.5" iirc
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

The C-03te has exactly the same dimensions as an LV-03r, except for a florentine cutaway instead of a Venetian cutaway, and the c-03te has the 12 fret body join.  Both have a 25.5" scale length. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: guitarman001 on June 04, 2023, 02:26:48 AMThe dream:
https://youtu.be/1-5ZcPOg4f0

For those that have this guitar, what is the measured depth of the lower bout? Website says 4.75" but my L-05 is more like 4.5" iirc

Yes the same depth as mine which is a little shallower than other L bodies.

Quote from: guitarman001 on June 04, 2023, 02:26:48 AMFor those that have this guitar, what is the measured depth of the lower bout? Website says 4.75" but my L-05 is more like 4.5" iirc
Dimensions can vary, I have a 2016 L-03 at 4.75. Also have OM's none of which are exactly the same, but are close to or just under specified body depth of 4.5.
John Jr has told us final dimensions on body depth can vary due to manufacturing tolerance.
Bridge height can also vary, with .38 inch sort of being the target.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Bridge height... Which can be compensated for by shaving the saddle, right?

The full 4.75" is a bit deep for me, I'm glad my L-05 is a bit slimmer.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on June 07, 2023, 11:42:41 AMBridge height... Which can be compensated for by shaving the saddle, right?

The full 4.75" is a bit deep for me, I'm glad my L-05 is a bit slimmer.
The bridge is the last structural piece put on the guitar. A special jig is used, and one of the Larrivee stock bridges is installed. The bridge height can vary due to small differences in neck angle resulting from the hand fitting of the dovetail neck joint. John Jr has said no bridge is ever shaved during this process (tho some sanding may be done on the bottom to insure flatness) they just pick the best fitting bridge from their stock.
Shaving the saddle is to lower string height. Minor bridge shaving can be done to insure enough saddle is sticking out to provide a good string break angle. Larrivee has said their bridges are ok to be shaved down to approx .25 inch tall, though I myself would not go that low. You can also purchase a lower bridge from Larrivee if you would want to preserve the original (think... bridges with inlays). These are available from 7mm to 10.5mm for replacement/repair.
Mike

:bowdown:  wow you are super knowledgeable, thank you :)

Would love to try one of the Tommy guitars without having to buy blind
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on June 07, 2023, 04:57:35 PMwow you are super knowledgeable, thank you :)
Would love to try one of the Tommy guitars without having to buy blind
Everything I know I learned in this forum, plus much was learned when the forum worked directly with Larrivee on the recent forum VI guitar, as no dealer was involved. Since we did such a good job of specifying the guitar, Larrivee decided to sell to us direct with no dealer needed.
Also, trivia almost.... because of the way the bridges are installed, some new Larrivees may not strictly pass the "straight edge" test, some straight edges may be a hair above the top of the bridge, some a hair below.
And there are people in this group who know way more than me.
I did play the TE when it came out. I liked it, but I am not a rosewood person.
Mike
Mike

Yeah I'm typically not rosewood, either. But it looks so damn good and the cutaway at that price...
Still, best not buy blind. As noted in my L-05 thread a slight increase in body depth doesn't do me any good so best to play in person.
That Forum VI - wow...
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I love this Tommy but have come across a competitor.  I'm considering a 90's C-05 that is equivalent dollar value, not as collectible, but a "better" guitar feature-wise. 14 neck vs 12, same body, gloss vs satin, mahogany vs rosewood, abalone sound-hole-thing (rosette?), Baggs pickup. Going to pick it up next week and decide which to keep.

Thoughts on one vs the other, in terms of quality or appreciability? Any creative suggestions on convincing my girlfriend to keep both lololol? To be honest, acoustics need attention like plants and I don't want to own many.

Quote from: Snivlem on June 24, 2023, 10:11:24 AMI love this Tommy but have come across a competitor.  I'm considering a 90's C-05 that is equivalent dollar value, not as collectible, but a "better" guitar feature-wise. 14 neck vs 12, same body, gloss vs satin, mahogany vs rosewood, abalone sound-hole-thing (rosette?), Baggs pickup. Going to pick it up next week and decide which to keep.

Thoughts on one vs the other, in terms of quality or appreciability? Any creative suggestions on convincing my girlfriend to keep both lololol? To be honest, acoustics need attention like plants and I don't want to own many.

The C05 is a fine guitar, looks like you already know all the differences, so all that's left is to play it and compare how you like it. As far as quality they are Larrivees, the 05 series is a slightly higher grade than the 03 with gloss finish.  Other than that, I don't think either will appreciate more than the other.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

I just played a C-03R-TE yesterday. I was astounded how comfortable it was and how big it sounded. I think I'm going to grab it.

I like the look and sound of them but the body depth seems to vary and I wouldn't get one without trying as prefer less deep bodies
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05