Stacey Earle And Mark Stuart Show

Started by mazareth, March 06, 2005, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's the morning after a great acoustic show featuring Stacey Earle (Steve's sister) and Mark Stuart. They did two great sets and a 4 song encore. Tight harmonies and great rhythm playing. They most did Stacey's songs, but did a few of his own, including a beautiful and powerful song about Martin Luther King called Lorraine. Stacey also did a great version of one of my favorie Townes van Zandt songs "If I Needed You." Both Stacey and Mark have a great stage presence and rapport with the crowd.

Stacey played a 1962 J-45 with a cherry sunburst. What a great sounding guitar! Now I understand why some people are so obsessed with older Gibsons.

Mark played a Charles Fox F style in Rosewood/Sitka, which has a kind of jumbo shape but looked to be about the size of dread. He mostly played a hybrid flatpick-fingerpicking style. Fingerpicking definitely works on a large body guitar. Both Stacey and Mark played direct into the house PA with no effects on stage. The vocal mics were the ubiquitous SM58. There was just a little reverb and delay from the sound guy.

I talked with Mark Stuart for about 20 minutes after the show about playing and songwriting. He and Stacey were very down to earth and approachable.

One of the best club shows I've seen in a while. Can you tell I'm still exited? Go see them if they're near your town...

Time to go play some guitar...

Mark

http://www.staceyearle.com/ for tour dates

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

I'll second the recommendation. We saw them the first time opening for Buddy and Julie Miller at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta and then again as the headliners at Eddie's Attic. Great, great presence and a terrific show. Stacey's as sweet as Steve is gruff, and Mark's a great musician in his own right.

Michael