Anyone else a Metal fan?

Started by Punkrocker, February 02, 2007, 10:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like, Dethklok, most of you probably have not heard of them but they are quite incredible. I've always been a headbanger and i know there's at least one other person here who can stand Metal all while enjoying the thick robust sounds of Acoustic. I'm not putting down Larrivee or any other acoustic company but i couldn't live without the deep depth of Ozzy or anyone like that.

Punk rock is my mashed potatoes as well as my gravy  :humour: 

The Ramones for one have changed my life....yadda yadda ya,well ...yeah

Anyone care for, oh i dunno, some coffee or donuts?

:donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut :coffee
Son of Southern Cross

I have a friend who played CBGB's before they closed in New York.
My brother taught me a lot about metal, I learned about the Ramones on my own.
Ozzy's best stuff was his early stuff and, while it is tame, try out some April Wine sometime.
I consider Aerosmith metal and their first albums changed my life.
Then came RUSH 2112...a lot of good stories there.
I am sure there are more closet metal heads in the group. :roll

Metal? usually for the young guys, i'm 45 and i still like rock .
For me Metal is too distorted.I get tired of guitar players who shred and play with no feel .
If you want to rock hard and have some musicality,try Led Zeppelin,or Deep Purple .
Ever hear Deep Purple "Burn"?Talk  about hot.
I used to work with some metal players back in the 80's
I was playing bass then and was trying to turn  my friend onto jazz and players with chops and or taste.
Metal was a joke to me then, like rap is a joke to me now, sorry no offense,
I had a music teacher that once told me as you mature as a musician your musical tastes will change.
Hope i didnt anger you.David

I think I may grow a mullet. . .

I like some heavy stuff once in awhile, but I can't handle the 'death metal' where they "sing" in the low grunting voice. There's no melody and when there is it's a cheezy weak chorus(hook). There's no dynamics; Everyone's playing with the same rythmic feel and there's no "space" to the sound. It's all up front and loud. Just turn the volume down and it's just a hum that'll easily put me to sleep.

A lot of the stuff I grew up with (excepting the Beatles...whole other thing there) could be considered "roots metal" if there is such a thing...Led Zeppelin was a revelation to me, as was Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, also Blue Cheer and MC5...if it was heavy, I dug it, played it, emulated it. Thanks to Jimmy Page, however, I also got very interested in acoustic guitar from day one. My interest sort of veered into progressive bands after that...Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, Mahavishnu Orchestra. I played a stint in an ELP cover band in 1977, playing Greg Lake's bass and acoustic guitar parts while the keyboard player, who had a pHD in music, pounded out note for note Kieth Emerson on a Fender Rhodes through a dimed Ampeg VT22. Now THAT was metallic.

Most of the 80s 'hair metal' bands were just too much about hair and clothes and life-style. Of course, while I was regarding the whole thing as bogus, along comes a truly gifted player like Randy Rhodes, who put some of the faith back into me...until the "lifestyle" ate him alive. There were others that were exceptions to the rule as I saw it. Yngwie's hot...and he survived, so it would seem.

I think these labels, like "Metal", "Punk", whatever, are really more about the attendant life style than the music...good music is good music. I dig Beethoven, Chili Peppers, Primus, Leo Kottke, Zappa, John Williams and classic Black Sabbath with equal enthusiasm.

I do NOT regard rap/hip-hop as music...more akin to beat poetry...at best. JMHO

Quote from: maxferry on February 05, 2007, 10:52:32 PM
I do NOT regard rap/hip-hop as music...more akin to beat poetry...at best. JMHO
I wouldn't call it music at all. More like audio vomit.

Hey that last comment was uncalled for!!

There's a place for rappers in the pantheon of great musicians, as there is for Metal. Try De La Soul  and Public Enemy for starters. Because it's been the most popular sound for a while there will expectedly be a lot of fluff and crap, but the good stuff is good.

I mean, it's not like you're making fun of Frank Sinatra. Now there's a pretender!!!

If it sounds good, it is good.

How was Sinatra a pretender?  I think it's laughable that someone would criticize someone like Sinatra and attempt to stick up for some thug who can't keep his hand of his johnson while performing his "art". 

Sinatra was the one hanging out with the thugs, baby. Check your history.

And besides, I'd much rather hear more about admired Metal bands. How about a top five to recommend for those unfamiliar with the genre? Thanks.

there are a lot of "metal" guys with great chops out there.

I'm a huge fan of zakk wylde, who is a very well rounded musician.  he can do pretty much anything from the many shredding solo's to the mellow acoustic stuff from book of shadows, and the southern rock on pride and glory.

to me, music isn't about some the the labels. if its good to me, I'll listen to it.
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Punkrocker, I'm a huge metal fan. I enjoy more of the Old School stuff, though. For me, metal peaked around the time of Metallica's "And Justic For All" and Slayer's "Seasons In The Abyss". Like others, I can't really relate to the gutteral vocal style that is popular today, even though much of the musicianship is excellent.

I really enjoy live metal shows of all types. My first concert was Kiss and Cheap Trick at the Edmonton Coliseum in 1977. I was fortunate enough to see the Van Halen II tour there in 1978. Other outstanding concerts include a Girlschool/Scorpions/Iron Maiden show in 1981(We were in the first row, right against the stage with no barrier) and 1999 Ozzfest in Vancouver with Marilyn Manson/Primus/Slayer/Rob Zombie and Black Sabbath on the bill.

Although it's not really metal, I saw The Clash on the Combat Rock tour.

Other live shows I've seen include Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest (3 times), Metallica (3), Rush (3), Aerosmith (3), Bon Jovi (2), Motley Crue (2), Poison (2), AC/DC, Ozzy (Blizzard Of Ozz tour and 1 more), Skid Row, Guns 'N' Roses, Gwar, Triumph and others that I can't think of right now.

As I've aged though, I find my tastes mellowing somewhat and I'm really getting into Country Blues.

I like all kinds of music and have also seen live shows from David Bowie (3 times), Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Pink Floyd, CSNY, Red Hot Chile Peppers, Eric Clapton, The Who, Elton John, UB40, J.J. Cale, Muddy Waters (about 6 months before he died), Peter Tosh, The Stranglers, The Police, George Thourogood, Stevie Ray Vaughn (warm up act for Loverboy, if you can believe it), Heart, The Tragically Hip (3), The Rolling Stones, Mellisa Etheridge, The Cowboy Junkies, Buena Vista Social Club, Peter Frampton and so on...

I have tickets to the upcoming Heaven and Hell tour, too.

BTW, have you see Sam Dunn's documentary from last year? It's excellent and called "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

Huge metal fan here (for listening... I don't play it alot on my guitar other than the hard rock I play with the band)

Metallica is my all time favourite.

I also love:

Cradle of Filth
Pantera
Avenged Sevenfold
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
16 Volt
Anthrax

and many more

The thing that attracts me to metal is not the "shred" leads they play though.. it's the guttural, powerful low end of the "chunka chunka" palm muted and non-muted heavy riffs they play, with that powerful drumming behind it.  Something about it hits one of my base instincts or something.

(My music collection runs from acoustic blues, emo, rock, electronica, metal, grunge, country, all the way to classical.  I'm all over the place.  There is even some rap that I like (check out "The Roots"... good rap where they actually PLAY the instruments!))

I  love the names that metal bands come up with:

cannibal corpse, cradle of filth to name two.....   beautiful, and no sarcasm intended.

Even the early days were great: Black Sabbath.... a perfect name.

seems I'm late to the party as always .....

Metal? sure why not ?

Motorhead, Metallica and Megadeth (spelling? ) - the 3 that always come to mind for me ..... still have some of their stuff on vinyl :bgrin:
'05 L-03
various electrics
Dr Z amps

ElJefe,

Thanks man, that was a gem!

Hmmm. I'm sort of big on zinc.

:ph34r:

Nope unless you consider lez zeppelin, the who, or acdc metal.