OM-03R bridge and nut material? + tuner question

Started by doctor_gogol, September 10, 2008, 07:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have an early 06 om-03R.

I went on the Larrivee site and the nut appears to be tusq. There really isn't any info that I can see regarding the material for the bridge.

Looking at the bridge on my guitar leads me to believe that its plastic.

Would I get a noticeable tone improvement by switching the nut and bridge to bone?

One other thing; Gotohs seem more solidly built than ping tuners, would there be any tone improvement by switching to Gotoh 510s?

I don't have any problems with my guitar now. I love it. I just don't like the idea of anything substandard being on my guitar.

The bridge is the ebony wood piece that the saddle and bridge pins sit in. The saddle and nut should be Tusq (not tusk btw). It's a synthetic plastic like material. Yes, you should get a noticeable tone improvement by switching the saddle and nut to bone or even just the saddle. A few have said they prefer the sound of the tusq saddles though. You shouldn't get a tone difference by switching the tuners unless there's a noticeable difference in weight.

Ahhh, the customization GAS is starting to percolate.  :humour: Bone saddles are fairly cheap, as are bone pins, the nuts are not all that expensive but should be professionally installed. Tuners, depends on your definition of pricey, but the Gotoh does have a drop in model with various finishes & buttons available.

Here's a link for (IMO) the most professional and responsive person in the accessory trade. His materials are without a doubt top notch, competitively priced, and he is accessable for any of your questions. I don't endorse may in this manner but Bob Colosi & Jim Holler@Trinity are 2 I do.
http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

doctor_gogol

I don't know what experience others have had but I would say  YES.....   Replace the tusq (or plastic) saddle with a bone saddle.  My OM-03R sounded good with the saddle that came on it but it turned into a great sounding guitar as soon as I put the bone saddle in.  If you don't feel confident doing this yourself (there's some significant trimming required to get a proper fit) then have a qualified guitar tech do it for you.   I've found that this upgrade along with EJ-16 strings gives me the best sound for this guitar.    This is the easiest way to improve your sound in my opinion. 
I believe that the bone saddle will contribute to the "opening up" of the guitar quicker as well......more vibration transferred to the top does the trick.

Tuffythepug

I have an OM-03R from around the same date. Replaced nut with bone, and saddle with fossilized walrus ivory from Colosi, as well as bone bridge pins. The sound is SWEET with beautiful sustain. The volume may actually be slightly less than the original tusq, but the quality of the tone is more appealing to me.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee OM-03R
Seagull M12
Martin Shenandoah

I just ordered a bone nut from Bob Colosi. Pretty good price. They seem to be pre-shaped per-manufacturer.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I might have my tech grind down a bone nut for me next.

I got my saddle from Bob as well.  They are shaped fairly close to what you will need but be prepared to do a little (maybe even a lot) of sanding to get a perfect fit.  Instructions will be included with the saddle.  I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on September 10, 2008, 07:12:31 AM
Yes, you should get a noticeable tone improvement by switching the saddle and nut to bone or even just the saddle.

1. You will get a change in tone. Whether it is an improvement or not is up to the individual listener.

2. Changing the nut will only affect the tone on open strings. When a string is fretted, the nut is no longer a factor.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on September 11, 2008, 07:09:51 AM
2. Changing the nut will only affect the tone on open strings. When a string is fretted, the nut is no longer a factor.

That depends on how you hold the guitar.

Quote from: jwsamuel on September 11, 2008, 07:09:51 AM
1. You will get a change in tone. Whether it is an improvement or not is up to the individual listener.

Jim

Should really change both if you're going to do it. Especially these days with people playing odd tunings with all the drone open chords. And most tend to play in keys with lots of open string notes in them, unless they are masochists.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: tuffythepug on September 10, 2008, 10:03:29 AM
doctor_gogol

I don't know what experience others have had but I would say  YES.....   Replace the tusq (or plastic) saddle with a bone saddle.  My OM-03R sounded good with the saddle that came on it but it turned into a great sounding guitar as soon as I put the bone saddle in.  If you don't feel confident doing this yourself (there's some significant trimming required to get a proper fit) then have a qualified guitar tech do it for you.   I've found that this upgrade along with EJ-16 strings gives me the best sound for this guitar.    This is the easiest way to improve your sound in my opinion. 
I believe that the bone saddle will contribute to the "opening up" of the guitar quicker as well......more vibration transferred to the top does the trick.

Tuffythepug

Same here.  :+1:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Tone improvement by switching to Gotoh's? NO
TUNING improvement? Yes! Definitely!
I've used the 510's and the Gotoh "Schaller Style" with 100% satisfaction.

The ONLY tuners I'll us for upgrades are Gotoh and Waverly.
Anything else is a lesson in futility in my book.
Try switching to a Colosi bone saddle before you worry about a nut switch.

Dan
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt